vb:literal>

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: nature conservancy

Thanks for all the responses. This group seems not only well organized but completely commited to making sure land owners' rights are not infringed. Some very thoughtful responses here, for sure. Thanks for the advise!

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks for all the responses. This group seems not only well organized but completely commited to making sure land owners' rights are not infringed. Some very thoughtful responses here, for sure. Thanks for the advise!
    We are commited to something ok. I think the concensus would be insanity.

Thumbs down Watching - Posting - What's the Intent?

To revive this discussion - where my comments have to do with some recent posts on GC.com, I am posting this here. GPSFun posted some thoughtful facts about The Nature Conservancy (TNC) recent requests regarding caches. My observation is just - an observation and therefore probably better placed in this thread.

TNC appears to have a representative who travels very quickly and is already visiting caches in some areas of our fair State. Today, a cacher on GC.com who goes by dj_grenier logged over 55 caches with a smilie and today's date.

The gentleman signed on to the GC.com site 11/5/07 and joined this site shortly thereafter. His credentials on the GC.com site sound very good.

I am just wondering about all these logs as founds with the smilies for today and only a date on the log. One of these caches has only been out a few days. Did he really visit them all, sign the in-cache log, and were all the visits really today. Why nothing in the log other than the date?

His "Visit Homepage" link takes you to The Nature Conservency website.

We participate in a very public sport. Seldom, if ever, since I found my first cache in 1/2006 have I ever wondered, quite like this, what is going on? - except maybe the Fitz Cache.

I can say for sure......if he had visited any of my caches, I would checking the log. If the log in the cache had not been signed, I would be deleting the logs. Talk about playing fair and working together.......what is this all about?

To bad a Maine rep couldn't communicate openly and maybe even organize a Maine meeting or two or come to an event rather than get our attention by logging caches this way. JMHO (Just my humble opinion)!

DJ logged four of our cahes as finds with todays date. Two of these are good hikes in the snow I checked on three of the four, The logs had not been signed in over a week and the cache areas had not been destirbed since before yesterdays snow..

Cache Happy
    Dave

Default Keep looking

At least three of the caches he "logged" were earthcaches. One way up in the county as well as downeast and the north maine woods. And all are todays date. He did also post he plans to attend Karen's event in January. I too saw the post and was quite curious.
    Happy Trails!

Some people play this game the way they want to. I don't see anywhere where there are geocache police looking at all caches to make sure they are indeed found by others. Play the game the way you want to play it. Some like micros and some don't,who cares?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Haffy - you are 100% correct. Whatever you are implying here - go for it. You post what you want - I will too.

I, for one, don't believe in logging caches you have not found - but if that's ok with you - works for me. My caches - I do delete logs if the folks have not verified they were there by signing the in cache logs. Your caches do as you want.

My post was to just let folks know. There is no way anyone could have done what this person posted in one day.

If TNC really cares, they would have people talking with people Face to Face not having someone do posts like this. But again, JMO and I am intitled to it! I knew when I did the post I would stand to be crucified - and you picked up the hammer - thank you - I was ready!

My husband is one of those silent check senders - the envelopes come every day - and he sends $. I can assure you, he has sent his last check to the TNC!

Again, JMO - I need a vacation and am taking one soon - health issues or not!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    He did also post he plans to attend Karen's event in January.
    That would be an opportunity to an open and face to face discussion. Looking forward to it and hope he brings some maps of where the lands are which they cover.

After a call to their 1-800 number I found out - maps are not available, "they are very sorry".

Yes and I think before anyone goes blasting the person ,maybe he got the caches before at some time and now is just getting a chance to log them,it happens yah know.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I'm thinking there may have been a software glitch somewhere. Search state of Maine by recently placed. His logs are every cache on the first three pages, most smiley faces, a few notes, all with the same log. Maybe GC stuttered one of his logs into a mess? Every single cache on pages 1-2 except for 1 cache that hasn't been found yet was logged. Nothing from page 4 on (in my limited searching). I'd say that GC might have had a problem with a multiple post???