vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: nature conservancy

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Ok, sounds good to me....experimenting with filters...I do the same each morning when I make coffee. Just showing everyone how simple I really am. Now, perhaps, some of the questions have been answered. But for my own peace of mind....have all those "found it" entries been deleted knowing that the caches were never visited or "found"?
    Dan Grenier of TNC has deleted all of the find logs from the caches he viewed - his profile currently shows no finds anywhere and he is not playing the geocaching sport.

When I spoke with him on Monday he spoke in very positive terms about the interactions he has had with Maine geocachers via e-mail. He holds you folks in high regard, and I believe this bodes well for our future interactions.

I gave Dan some suggestions on using Google Earth to view caches in various locations and through the help of others he knows how to use pocket queries pretty effectively. If we become aware of other caches that were inadvertently placed on lands under TNC stewardship, Dan or I will work with the cache owner to resolve the issue.

-Brad

Quote Originally Posted by EvilHomer View Post
    The Nature "CONSPIRACY" Conservency is notorious for not sharing its holdings with anyone but birds and squirrels. So dont be suprised if they get apeplectic about geocaches.
    Just to put things into perspective, The Nature Conservancy has stewardship responsibility for lands they own and lands that have been placed under their control through easements or other legal instruments, and they have received direction or mandates to mange these lands in specific ways. Essentially they have the same rights over these properties that any of us enjoy over property we own - we can invite others to visit our property unconditionally, conditionally, or not at all.

Default Thanks Brad

It's nice to see that you've gotten to the bottom of this issue. I as a few other really jumped to conclusions. It's obvious that he meant no malice or ill will. It was a simple accounting error.
    Happy Trails!

It is nice to see that we are working together. Last year, I removed one of my caches because I placed it on their property without permission. I have since appologized to The Nature Conservancy and worked with the local land manager. We now have a cache placed that meets the goals and design for the land they are trusted to take care of. And, I learned a lot in the process!

Quote Originally Posted by gpsfun View Post
    The Nature Conservancy has stewardship responsibility for lands they own and lands that have been placed under their control through easements or other legal instruments, and they have received direction or mandates to mange these lands in specific ways. Essentially they have the same rights over these properties that any of us enjoy over property we own - we can invite others to visit our property unconditionally, conditionally, or not at all.
    Brad - thank you for your explanations and help with clarifying things. It is sometimes hard if one does not realize The Nature Conservancy (TNC) has jurisdiction over lands which are also under other jurisdiction.

This is probably a good reminder when dealing with other land trusts and groups to ask about affiliation with TNC and who has final decision on use relative to Geocaching. It would be helpful, too, for TNC to have maps available on line.

Again, thank you all who worked on this to a smooth resolution - or so it sounds.