vb:literal>

Thread: Welcome dubord207

Default Welcome dubord207

Just wanted to Welcome personally Dubord207. A Waterville native and is getting the hang of caching right quick he is. Addicting isn't it Dan? Ask away anything you might have questions on,there are many here who can help with whatever you have. Oh yeah and check out the Chat on Wed nights as well around 8ish if you want. Oh yeah one other thing,he is a lawyer too so be careful......
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default Another Newbie

Thanks for the welcome, Haffy! Yeah, I'm into it so look out Maine, I'll go for a lot of 'em as you will see. Di and I like hiking and climbing and I'm pleased to see a bunch of caches in "high" places. We're headed to Florida for a week over the New Year's week and I see warnings about snakes and gators! Not a chance I'll chase those down. Yeah, I'm an attorney (Not Joe Bornstein!) but tv is for news, comedy, Red Sox and Patriots. Maybe we should start a geocaching network? Would be better than a lot of the crap of the tube today. Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I guess I'm "into it" with over 100 caches the first month. Not sure if the snow will slow me down bit I doubt it.

Default Welcome....

Glad you found us. And yes there are several caches in the area that you will have to hike to.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    ...Maybe we should start a geocaching network? ...
    Wow!!!

The Geocaching reality show! That's got to be better than the show where they go around the world solving riddles...

Cool

Great to have another cacher! Hiram357 and I are living in Waterville right now too, and have a few caches out, though most are under snow. There's a group of us that enjoy winter outdoors and snowshoe or cross country ski to caches! Keep your eyes open in the forum for gatherings, and feel free to plan your own!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Wow!!!

. . . That's got to be better than the show where they go around the world solving riddles...
    Isn't that Scooby Doo?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Great to have another cacher! Hiram357 and I are living in Waterville right now too, and have a few caches out, though most are under snow. There's a group of us that enjoy winter outdoors and snowshoe or cross country ski to caches! Keep your eyes open in the forum for gatherings, and feel free to plan your own!
    And then there's little ol' Unity (or at least the Unity area) which is only a hop, skip and jump away from Waterville and all that "congestion" (plus there's always the Unity House of Pizza -- a favorite of geocachers world-wide -- well, at least a favorite of some local geocachers) . . . right now on the top of my head I can think of one or two caches of mine that would not require digging in the snow.

In any case, welcome dubord207 . . . nice to have you here. I assume that was you that commented on the Morning Sentinel site the other day? And Lord forgive me for this one, but I can't help myself . . . gotta go Joe Bornstein for a minute . . . BOINNNNGGGGG!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Default From Firefighter to Firefighter

Thanks for Welcome, and yes that was me blogging in at the Sentinel. Generally I try and stay out of politics, but every so often some of these folks can force a few comments out of my keypad. I've been to a lot of caches that you folks have visited. I took the Firefighter coin out of the crazy-make-your-eyes cross-eyed cache that Haffy put in the back of the Perkins Bird Sanctuary at Colby. Was a firefighter for Waterville for 21 years, 15 as Capt. of Engine 2. Lots of friends/brothers we keep forever and even more stories. Though retired, I still have my turnout gear and I will respond toi something really big and crazy. The fire at the Colby fieldhouse, for example. Anyway, really enjoying this new hobby and I can see there are a lot of high quality players. Look forward to meeting you and my best to you and yours over the Christmas holiday. Dan

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Thanks for Welcome, and yes that was me blogging in at the Sentinel. Generally I try and stay out of politics, but every so often some of these folks can force a few comments out of my keypad. I've been to a lot of caches that you folks have visited. I took the Firefighter coin out of the crazy-make-your-eyes cross-eyed cache that Haffy put in the back of the Perkins Bird Sanctuary at Colby. Was a firefighter for Waterville for 21 years, 15 as Capt. of Engine 2. Lots of friends/brothers we keep forever and even more stories. Though retired, I still have my turnout gear and I will respond toi something really big and crazy. The fire at the Colby fieldhouse, for example. Anyway, really enjoying this new hobby and I can see there are a lot of high quality players. Look forward to meeting you and my best to you and yours over the Christmas holiday. Dan
    Not to get off track (but around here we tend to do so oftentimes) . . . I know quite a few of the guys that were/are at the Waterville/Winslow Fire Departments . . . you don't happen to know an Eric Pelletier do you . . . he worked there for a few years and then we hired him up here in Bangor . . . he's a good kid.

I also have to say that the Winslow Firefighters (I know you said you were with Waterville, but Waterville and Winslow are sister cities) will always have my gratitude . . . a number of years ago we had a very bad fire that killed three children and left a long-time firefighter dead. To make matters worse the fire itself was bad . . . after a fairly mild evening sub-zero air moved into the area freezing up everything. That night we managed to get our gear and equipment back to the station, but we were nowhere ready to respond to any additional fires in town . . . physically due to the condition of the equipment and ourselves and emotionally. The next day most of our guys headed back down to the station to start the long and arduous process of cleaning up the hose and getting the rest of the equipment back into service. We had just started the work when an entire crew from Winslow FD showed up . . . without being asked these guys drove to our town and took all of our wet hose back to Winslow with them . . . and later returned the cleaned and dried hose. It was a simple act of kindness, but one that was sincerely appreciated then . . . and now.

Yeah, I remember that one vividly. Little out of Wtvl's mutual aid territory. I knew Eric, good tough firefighter, a five bottle kind of guy at fires. While the tragic fires and the things I saw over the years are still "in memory" my favorite thoughts are the guys and the "condtion red" fires where things went well.