Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 44

Thread: Caches that should be retired.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Central, Maine
    Posts
    604

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    As a result of my requests to be archived. "The Strip" where Msteelee and I happed to both be there on the same day was just archived by the owner. He did because of the nice way I asked.
    I emailed the owner that this was probably the best solution because that area is being restricted more tightly lately. Good move Brad.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Auburn
    Posts
    2,112

    Default Against archiving, but changing my mind...

    I am very reluctant to ask an approver to archive a cache. As a gerneral rule, I prefer to let others do what they want, as long as it doesn't cause trouble for others.

    So, I looked at one of "black listed" caches in my area a few minutes ago. An unsuspecting cacher not only wasted his time visiting the cache (should have looked first!), but also found it and left someone else's travel bug.

    I've met the cache hiders before and they are very nice people, but they don't seem to be as active in caching as they used to be.

    So, what should I do? I have emailed the hider and offered my help. I also emailed the cacher and offered to o retrieve the TB, which I plan to do tommorow. I'd like to either adopt the cache or just "fix" it. But, there is one other potential problem with the cache: it is in the Rachel Carson NWR and I'd rather not risk a posible fine for helping out. Leaving it there is not a good option becacuse if it is not being actively used in our sport, it is litter. And, it could cost the life of a travel bug.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    I often hesitate to request for archive - too bad there isn't an anonymous "Hey, approver, look at this cache" log....

    Most people place caches with good intentions. But if things don't work out well, it is better to adopt and maintain or archive in order to promote good standing with any authorities.

    Making sure caches are looked after also helps set a good example for the newbies, possibly preventing them from making a mistake or two when placing their own.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Augusta, Maine
    Posts
    119

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    Just don't get it mixed up and put stinky diaper in cache!!!
    Only did that once or twice....

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    120

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim
    Just don't get it mixed up and put stinky diaper in cache!!!
    I can see the log entry now, "Took McToy, left used diaper"...

    -RanMan22

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Standish, Maine
    Posts
    140

    Default GCJDBX The Rips

    Quote Originally Posted by brdad

    I think in some hider's cases, the owner doesn't cache much, and most likely prints a printout that day and heads to one or two caches. They don't see the issue the rest of us have with disabled or otherwise needy caches showing up on our closest caches list or coming through our PQs.


    Others are just busy, like JustJen aka Geochicks- do something with those caches, will ya??


    Busy, busy, busy......the home heating oil delivery season is upon us and my caching has been put on hold for now, although I may get to do one today possibly.

    I temp. disabled the Rips because there is no parking there in the winter, and I have some issues with the safety aspects (crossing river ice) at this time of the year.

    Am I a now in a different class of cacher because I still use print outs? Thats just the way I do it, print out a couple and go to find them and have a great day. Im sorry "the rest of you" are having issues. Perhaps Jeremy at GC.com could come up with a couple of programming changes to help you out if its that big of a problem.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,575

    Unhappy I didn't mean to offend anyone

    The caches I was speaking about are not the ones taken down for maintainace or because of parking issues. The ones I was aiming at are the ones that have been dead ducks for a year or more. One that had been missing for a long while has been archived already by the owner. Several others have been given the word by the reviewer GPSfun to restore them or archive them. I wasn't on a crusade to remove all inactive caches. Just a nudge to get some of the older dead wood moving in one direction or the other.

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    6,059

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pooh and friends
    Am I a now in a different class of cacher because I still use print outs? Thats just the way I do it, print out a couple and go to find them and have a great day. Im sorry "the rest of you" are having issues. Perhaps Jeremy at GC.com could come up with a couple of programming changes to help you out if its that big of a problem.
    Not at all, we have the "temporarily disable" feature on caches for a reason. There is nothing wrong with your disabling a cache for seasonal, safety, maintenenece, or other issues. It's just that some people miss the "temporary" part and leave a cache disabled for over a year, often posting notes saying they will replace it but it never happens.

    And for those of us that are paperless, there is the option to exclude disabled caches in our files. I just prefer to keep them in, as many disabled caches are still there, and still loggable. If I am in an area where one of these caches are, i might check on it just to see.

    It helps out even more now that cache hiders have to leave a log explaining why the cache is being disabled.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default ...I didn't mean to run on so long...

    There seem to be 2 types of disabled caches. One is where a temporary situation occurs (parking at a particular season, snow impediment, temporary activity around cache like construction). That is what I view a disable action to be used for.
    The second type is where a cache is abandoned (no maintenance after cache lid is broken/full of water, muggled, cache missing, etc). The cache placer would naturally disable the cache until he/she could service it. The problem is when this cache sits for many months or more. That is what I would call abandoned. If it is a long term problem, it should be archived.
    I get confused when I see a cache that's disabled, with no notes that it's missing or muggled (and sometimes people are still logging it as a find). Should I take a stab at visiting it or is there a (safety or other) reason that I shouldn't attempt it?
    My peeve is when I do a search for caches in my area, and many of them have lines through them. If I knew that they were coming back at some point, fine... I can wait, but I wish I could block the ones that are gone permanently from my search list.
    I understand the hesitation to archive a cache if you ARE planning on fixing/replacing it as it has to go through the whole application process again, but if the cache will never be refreshed, please archive it
    Would an automated process where a cache disabled for a certain time period (9 months/a year) is automatically archived be reasonable? The cache owner would still be able to reactivate the cache if the issue was resolved and it would flush abandoned caches from the system.
    -Just some coffee driven thoughts

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Topsham
    Posts
    360

    Red face Maine's Disabled Cache Listing - Bad Dog....

    I'm feeling a little guilty here that I have 5 caches that have made the “Maine Disabled Cache Listing”. They are all disabled for what I think are good reasons and in most cases for respect for property owners. They WILL be back in the spring. I try to update the cache pages with notes every so often to let fellow cachers know that I have not forgotten about bringing them back.

    Here’s the status of the caches:


    GCGKBB Bay Bridge Landing Cache - This cache was muggled this summer, where it is such a nice area I opted not to put it back right away hoping the mugglers would forget about it. This cache WILL be back this spring.


    GCJK2M Did you say Caesar Salad? - This cache will also be back this spring and in a slightly different spot. The state does not plow the parking area and any parking on the road is dangerous.

    GCGVGQ "It's not the Allagash Cache...." - This cache gets disabled every year due to respect to the property owner and the town of Brunswick does not plow into this portage. The cache usually comes back after mud season.

    GCHCJD Mt. Ararat Fire Tower (Formally Scott's Sourdough) - This is a new adopted cache for us and I am not planning on bringing it back until spring when I can find a good new hiding spot.

    GCKPDF Barnes Leap Signature Cache - This cache is along the same lines as the "It's not the Allagash Cache....", it has been disabled due to there is no parking in the winter and the trails are closed for the season. This too will be back after the Maine Mud Season.

Similar Threads

  1. EGSG hits 900 caches and 700 traditional caches...
    By blevesque in forum Maine Geocaching Milestones
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-17-2005, 05:53 PM
  2. Pocket caches at event caches
    By attroll in forum General Geocaching Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-17-2004, 08:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •