vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caches that should be retired.

Quote Originally Posted by team teebow
    I'm feeling a little guilty here that I have 5 caches that have made the “Maine Disabled Cache Listing”. They are all disabled for what I think are good reasons and in most cases for respect for property owners. They WILL be back in the spring. I try to update the cache pages with notes every so often to let fellow cachers know that I have not forgotten about bringing them back.
    That list was not meant to be a blacklist, just thought some people might notice a few close to them that could be tended to in one way or another.

I've noticed your notes on your disabled caches from time to time, I think you do better than most as far as letting people know the status of your caches.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Not at all, we have the "temporarily disable" feature on caches for a reason. There is nothing wrong with your disabling a cache for seasonal, safety, maintenenece, or other issues. It's just that some people miss the "temporary" part and leave a cache disabled for over a year, often posting notes saying they will replace it but it never happens.
    I'm starting tio get annoyed with the tone this thread is taking. The owner disables the cache for reasons they think are appropriate. It's THEIR cache.

If a cache remains disabled for some length of time, I think it is perfectly acceptable for someone to ask that they archive it or reestablish it. End of story.

But to imply that there is "something wrong" with leaving a cache disabled for an extended period REALLY rubs me the wrong way. The cache belongs to the owner. Period. I regret that some people feel that they need to make the owner feel guilty, or that the owner needs to "justify" the reasons for disabling the cache, or that they need to be publicly embarassed.

Sheesh!

(And NO smileys!!!)
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 02-13-2005 at 01:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    But to imply that there is "something wrong" with leaving a cache disabled for an extended period REALLY rubs me the wrong way. The cache belongs to the owner. Period. I regret that some people feel that they need to make the owner feel guilty, or that the owner needs to "justify" the reasons for disabling the cache, or that they need to be publicly embarassed.

Sheesh!

(And NO smileys!!!)

Quoted from geocaching.com's TOS:
    "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for checking on your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive or transfer the listing."

From that, it seems as though gc.com feels that something is wrong with a cache if it is disabled for an extended time. The cache owner should justify a cache being disabled for a longer period of time, such as teem teebow does, to show that their cache is being tended to. It's all part of maintaining a cache.

I didn't attempt to make any owner feel guilty by posting the list of disabled caches. (Excepting Geochicks, but I know her enough to know she'd take it lightheartedly).

Smile Did not take posting as a black list....

I took no offense to the posting, I too feel that caches that have been missing or disabled for a long time should be archived or adopted. I have adopted a couple myself because I thought they were worth keeping around. Please except my apologies if anyone thought I may have had an angry tone in my last posting, I did not mean it that way.

Team Teebow loves this sport and we have our slow times of the year for caching. To us an active cache is a happy cache and we strive to make ours fit in with the community and make them as interesting as possible for everyone to enjoy.

We do not make many of the event caches but we love reading all of your logs. I think we must have every cache in Maine in our "watch list" since our mail box is always full.

Enough rambling, I know the point that was tying to be put across here and I hope everyone else does too. I'll wrap up by saying "A happy cache, usually has happy owners!!! If the disabled / Archived cache is worth saving either adopt it or find someone to adopt it and make it happy again!!!"

Team Teebow

Quoted from geocaching.com's

I didn't attempt to make any owner feel guilty by posting the list of disabled caches. (Excepting Geochicks, but I know her enough to know she'd take it lightheartedly).
    From reading the thread, I know at least one cacher was upset.

Well, I've got it off my chest.

(I was going to "temporarily archive" my "temporarily disabled" cache, but see that once archived, it requires a Geocaching.com administrator to unarchive it.
    I'm going to stubbornly leave the cache disabled until I get around to replacing it.)
    Last edited by WhereRWe?; 02-13-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Default Once again...

I'll reitterate. This thread was NOT started to get ANY one mad or upset. It was NOT directed at active cachers who need to temporarily disable a cache. Team Teebow, you are what a good cache owner is. I have done several of yours and enjoyed them. Taking them down because of parking restrictions or landowner issues is your perogitive. It will keep someone from trying to get into a place they just shouldn't be. The only caches I had an issue with were ones that no one as found or even looked for in many many months. I am entitled to my opinions as much as anybody in this forum. These are just my feelings on this subject. If it's been misconstrued, I'm sorry. Let's let this thread die before things go to far(If they haven't already).
    Last edited by Mainiac1957; 02-13-2005 at 05:53 PM.
    Happy Trails!

Talking Who me??

What was the question??

Seriously:
    It's one thing that I kind of agree with. I got great intentions (I truly do plan on fixing up our caches), but it's (excuse my mouth) piss-poor follow through. Things happen... and of course the biggest excuse... I'm lazy!!

Just ask poor parmachenee who has kindly asked me to do something with the geo-coins that he left in our hands WAAAAY back at the 2nd BBQ. Well, lazy-butt that I am... I haven't had a chance to do anything with them.

I may sit here and joke about it, but I really feel bad about not following through like I said I would... so I understand where other cachers are coming from...

Well, Geochicks...

It seems we are comrades - great procrastinators! LOL!

But I agree with Mainiac - this thread should die.

I'd be interested to see if Down by the "sea" is still there and active. I posted a "did not find" back in November asking about it but haven't heard anything about it. I've got a unique travel bug there (though it hasn't been properly logged in yet) and am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by drbugman
    I'd be interested to see if Down by the "sea" is still there and active. I posted a "did not find" back in November asking about it but haven't heard anything about it. I've got a unique travel bug there (though it hasn't been properly logged in yet) and am curious.
    I remember that cache as being fairly easy to find (It is rated a 1/1 after all), and in a location where a storm or high tide might move it out into the open, or a geomuggle might have come across it.

Did you try contacting the cache's owner? The cache page states a local cacher is maintaining it for him, perhaps you can find out who that is. The owner logged into the web site only a week ago, so he is still around.