vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Caches that should be retired.

Default Etna Bog

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Quoted from geocaching.com's TOS:
    "As the cache owner, you are also responsible for checking on your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.).
    I've been to the Etna Bog cache twice in the last month and was disappointed in the condition of the cache. Both times the contents were frozen inside the container because of holes allowing moisture in. Some of the contents had to be removed and trashed out. I noticed the owners haven't logged onto gc.com since Sept. 2003. I emailed them to ask if they minded if I replaced the cache container but got no response. I felt the cache area is unique and the chance of being muggled very small so I replaced the container with a waterproof ammo can. I'd like to see this cache remain active but apparently the owners aren't maintaining it.

Talking You should have that one.

I know we talked about it, but are you SURE you wouldn't like to adopt that one I imagine it could be arrainged.
    Happy Trails!

Default Ok...but...

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957
    I know we talked about it, but are you SURE you wouldn't like to adopt that one I imagine it could be arrainged.
    I'll adopt it in the winter if you will adopt it the rest of the year Mainiac1957??

Thumbs up

Sure I think annual maintainance is better than what it's used to. We just both go in around Halloween. No bugs and frozen ground. It's all good!
    Happy Trails!

If you two share the load, I'll kick in and maintain it on Feb 29 (what are the odds that it needs work on that day )

Etna Bog is a cache that doesn't need the same type of maintenence as the typical caches, that's for sure! Kudos to you, Parmachenee for placing the ammo box there!

I think it is quite possible the hider of Etna bog is no longer interested. It would be nice to get an email one way or the other though. It'd be too bad to see this one archived as it's a good challenge. But, since the issue of geomuggles finding the cache is minimal and you have replaced the container, you can easily let it sit for a while until you decide to adopt it.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    Etna Bog is a cache that doesn't need the same type of maintenence as the typical caches, that's for sure! But, since the issue of geomuggles finding the cache is minimal and you have replaced the container, you can easily let it sit for a while until you decide to adopt it.
    That's a good idea. It has survived on its own since it was placed so I can let it be for a while longer.

Default Chicken Cache...

is back on line! Sometimes, it just takes a little inspiration!

Thumbs up Etna Bog Cache

I've been in touch with the owner of the Etna Bog Cache and he has updated the cache coordinates and description. Circumstances had prevented him from maintaining the cache but that shouldn't be a problem now. He has enjoyed reading the logs and seeing the pics posted about the cache. Another great cache site saved!!

Yes, it's great to see that it lives on.