vb:literal>

Thread: Caches on TNC in Maine Lands

Hybrid View

Default Caches on TNC in Maine Lands

I decided to post this in a new thread in order not to derail becket's thread. There's a lot of good discussion there, by the way.

Groundspeak has received messages from The Nature Conservancy in Maine regarding geocaches placed on their lands without permission, and they have contacted individual cache owners in those cases where TNC has identified specific caches.

TNC generally does not allow geocaching on their lands, and they believe the lands are clearly marked. However, not all geocachers are aware of TNC's position on geocaching; hopefully the postings on this site will help get the word out to those who are new to the sport or are otherwise unaware that geocaches are prohibited there.

There are cases where specific permission has been granted such as TAT's cache at Mount Agamenticus. We would like to avoid further negative issues with TNC so they will remain willing to consider granting permission in exceptional cases. If you have a cache on TNC lands without permission, please disable the cache page and retrieve the physical cache as soon as possible. If you would like to seek obtaining permission for the cache, please disable it until permission is either granted or denied. If you have obtained permission, please note this in the cache description area on the cache page.

If you become aware of a cache on TNC lands, please post a "needs archived" note on the cache page as this will alert me to follow up to make sure the cache owner is aware of TNC's position.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Brad / gpsfun

Thank you for this post. I went to the Nature Conservancy's web site in search of a map of their lands and could not find one. There are references to special projects and general areas but no maps. Are you aware of any maps?

One area in particular, I noticed and wondered about was in Clifton. There are a couple of caches in Clifton which could be in the areas they descibe. Also, after looking I presume the new cache in Milford, by PPL, the delay in publishing might have been getting the proper permissions from all the partners. All in all - a good thing.

Again, Brad - thank you for posting this information. By working together, we all can contribute to making this a First Class sport.

Lois-Ann / hollora

I continue to be very impressed with the "players" in this sport. Now that I have a few Pelican cases and official caches boxes (and 3 Nanos) I'm gearing up for some hides. Does anybody have a specific person associated with the kennebec Land Trust to contact for placing caches on their various tracts of land? I'll be asking a lot of questions about this before I do my first hide because it would be rather embarassing for an attorney to get charged with trespass. Keep up the good work!

Thumbs up Policy good for other land trusts and conservation easement lands

Thanks GPSfun! I'll be sure to get this into our January newsletter! This policy should be applied to other land trust and conservation easement lands as well, since they also have private owners and trustees geocachers should get permission from.

As far as the Kennebec Land Trust goes, yes there is a contact for their board, Theresa is her name, Hiram357 has her contact info if you want to PM him. Otherwise you can try to google it, I'm not sure if they have a website. Each KLT land has a trustee as well, asking around the neighborhood could get you the name of the trustee. Sometimes the land has posted signs with the phone number of the trustee or KLT.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

A couple of years ago I worked closely with the the Boothbay Region Land Trusts in getting all of the caches that they had on their lands approved. The owners of most of the caches on their trusts were The Pike Patrol and some of their caches were falling into disrepair and I thought that they needed some maintenance. They basically were just summertime residents. I contacted the BRLT about maybe having them adopt them after contacting the Pike Patrol and they were in agreement that they could adopt of all of their caches. It was through this relationship that they now own and maintain all the caches on BRLT lands and they enjoy the fact that they are reaching more people to be able to hike and use the lands in a responsible matter. They placed all the old caches into new ammo boxes and also added new swag as well. They were really appreciative of my efforts to get them adopted and now are the proud owners of all the caches on their lands. I think if we all were as good stewards the Nature Conservancy would possibly reconsider their policy of having caches on their lands as well. Just my thoughts....

Here is the KLT website if you need contact info of any sort: http://www.tklt.org/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The quote below is from The Nature Conservacy website:l

"Uses Considered on a Case-by-Case Basis

Please call 207-729-5181 or contact naturemaine@tnc.org to find out whether the activity you are interested in is permitted on a parcitular preserve. ...

Geocaching – Placing of geocaches is generally discouraged because of the disturbance to areas off-trail. Geocaches are considered on a case-by-case basis and must be placed in a location and manner that avoids disturbance or alteration to any significant natural feature or area of ecological concern. We ask that any geocaches listed on the geocaching website without Conservancy permission be removed."