vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: welcome to my world!

Default welcome to my world!

So, I think I'm being nice. Buy the kiddo a Garmin 72 for Christmas on ebay. WELL, dummy didn't really look into the unit and it is a &^%$#&(&$# Marine unit. Great for fishing they tell me.
    So anyway, any idea how I can use this on land???? I can't figure out how/if basemaps can be loaded onto the machine. Any ideas??
    We've loaded the Penobscot River like 35 x, overpasses, rocks, bouys you name it but not one *Y*%$*&^%* ROAD. I'd settle for a dirt road at this point!
    (can you tell I'm having issues? PULL!)
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Oh no!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    So, I think I'm being nice. Buy the kiddo a Garmin 72 for Christmas on ebay. WELL, dummy didn't really look into the unit and it is a &^%$#&(&$# Marine unit. Great for fishing they tell me.
    So anyway, any idea how I can use this on land???? I can't figure out how/if basemaps can be loaded onto the machine. Any ideas??
    We've loaded the Penobscot River like 35 x, overpasses, rocks, bouys you name it but not one *Y*%$*&^%* ROAD. I'd settle for a dirt road at this point!
    (can you tell I'm having issues? PULL!)

Whaddya mean?? My Garmin 72 has found me over 400 caches!
    I think it's one of the simplest units out there.

but to answer your question, no maps, nada, zip, zilch, zero. i do believe there is a basemap that can be bought for it (but it's only very major highways and stuff and its way overpriced) why do ya need to know where roads are anyways?? (but if you want to get rid of it, i might buy it off of ya, did ya buy it new or used?) I loved mine to death (literally, it fell outta my pocket while I was hunting... never saw it again...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Do not know if this will work - but it's worth a try. You need the trip and waypoint manager software (mine is a marine unit too).

I lost my original disc (Trip and Waypoint Manager) and called Garmin (the number is on the Garmin site - just don't tell them you got it on Ebay - they would be better with a yard sale purchase) and told them I lost it. The nice lady - actually send me a replacement for free.

I now have a spare (as I found my original). Not sure but - maybe it would load on your unit. You are more than welcome to try it. The owners manual and quick start up guide can be downloaded from the Garmin site. http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/GPS72_OwnersManual.pdf

And then - you have an offer of a buyer too!

Hope you can get this ready to go for the Mini-Man! But he should be able to find Rooster Rock!

We don't really NEED the roads (that's what we have the 76 for), but he likes to watch the screen change as we are driving and there would be more to look @ if there was a map in it. We did buy it on ebay and it was used, but doesn't look like it was used hard. Only had about 10 waypoints in it. We've got a couple of options and we'll see what happens. We downloaded the user guide, but I let someone else deal with it...will look again.
    They say I have A.D.D. but they just don't understand. Oh Look! A chicken!

Quote Originally Posted by we3beans View Post
    We don't really NEED the roads (that's what we have the 76 for), but he likes to watch the screen change as we are driving and there would be more to look @ if there was a map in it. We did buy it on ebay and it was used, but doesn't look like it was used hard. Only had about 10 waypoints in it. We've got a couple of options and we'll see what happens. We downloaded the user guide, but I let someone else deal with it...will look again.

lol, the lack of roads and stuff was a key selling point for me, so I'm not watching it so much and I'm watchin where I'm going...

The quick guide may help too. I found my user manual difficult to understand - then again - I am not real techno.

Default No roads, but............

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    lol, the lack of roads and stuff was a key selling point for me, so I'm not watching it so much and I'm watchin where I'm going...
    The pub finder was one thing that Hiram enjoys.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    The pub finder was one thing that Hiram enjoys.
    nope, no pub finder on that model, I have a natural instinct for that

Default Map page set up

Are you sure it's just not "hidden". There is a set up page for the map. Toggle down to the bottom of the page. Does it say "show" or "hide" map?
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.