vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: iGPS?

Default iGPS?

Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

That looks like the ticket. Hey, Haffy, or anybody that might be able to help: Di and I are using a lot of printer ink and paper printing the first 3 or so pages on caches we hunt. Is there a device that's portable to which these things can be downloaded? I know very little about Blackberry like devices but would get one if they work well.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    That looks like the ticket. Hey, Haffy, or anybody that might be able to help: Di and I are using a lot of printer ink and paper printing the first 3 or so pages on caches we hunt. Is there a device that's portable to which these things can be downloaded? I know very little about Blackberry like devices but would get one if they work well.
    There are several ways to have portable cache pages. Palm based PDA's are probably the most popular using a program called Cachemate. I'm not sure what kind of OS or capabilities Blackberrys use, maybe someone here knows.

You can also do a search of these forums for "paperless" for other ideas.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    There are several ways to have portable cache pages. Palm based PDA's are probably the most popular using a program called Cachemate. I'm not sure what kind of OS or capabilities Blackberrys use, maybe someone here knows.

You can also do a search of these forums for "paperless" for other ideas.
    I looked at blackberries the the q phones a while ago for work, and I wasnt too impressed, they were veiwing only capabilties, nothin fancy, you could send email and stuff like that and veiw web pages, other than that they looked pretty useless to me. they also had a bunch of useless crap on there (that I'm sure other people go nuts for) like those cameras and the mp3 players (not what i want in a phone/pda) they're not like palms or pocket pcs where you can actually download your own programs and things to them, so if you were to use it for caching youd have to be in an area to get a signal to log onto the webpage. (heh, good luck doin that up north)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    There are several ways to have portable cache pages. Palm based PDA's are probably the most popular using a program called Cachemate.
    Most of us "paperless cachers" use Palm PDAs with Cachemate. Cachemate will work on any Palm OS system, so cost should not be a factor. Better PDAs with more memory (SD cards) do make it easier, though. I'd suggest waiting until one of the upcoming geocaching events and see what people are using. Most bring their "toys" with them to events.

Yeah I like the simple way of just downloading all the caches into a Palm or PPC based PDA using the program Cachemate. I went a more expensive route a couple of years ago and purchased a Palm Zire 71 on Ebay and hadn't used it at all when I went caching one time with Beachcomber in Portland and fell on it and smashed the LCD screen. I did find a cheaper one but the next one will be a "real" cheap one which you can get on Ebay for 30 bux or less like the Palm M 500 or something similar. Cachemate is the program of choice for most who use either the Palm or PPC. You can download all the caches you need in them and have all the info that is on the actual cache page except maybe any photos.

Just do a "Google" on paperless caching and there are numerous articles and tutorials on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    re 71 on Ebay and hadn't used it at all when I went caching one time with Beachcomber in Portland and fell on it and smashed the LCD screen.
    LOL! I had a Zire 71 myself, and dropped the GPSr on the screen. Ouch! But I got a Palm Tungsten E2 that I like a lot better, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I went a more expensive route a couple of years ago and purchased a Palm Zire 71 on Ebay and hadn't used it at all when I went caching one time with Beachcomber in Portland and fell on it and smashed the LCD screen.
    Sheesh! I'd bet Beachie knocked you down - and you undoubtedly deserved it! LOL!

Ha Ha,actually there was about a foot of fresh snow on the ground and the going was tough on the trail that we were on and while going down a bank I slipped and fell on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.....

When I started I was printing out pages too. Learned to limit what I printed so cut down on the paper but still felt guilty. Had a Palm (think its a 550) for years (it has a card) and used it for work things. Son said it would take the caching stuff with a chip so away we went. It is very slick and I love it - no more paper.

As for phones - service in many lovely areas of the state to cache is horrible - depending on your carrier. Cache Maine and I had a Downeast experience which was not phone pretty and there are many areas in Northern Maine and over into the wilds (Millinocket and Greenville) where you may or may not have coverage.

Paperless is definitely the way to go. Some programs you can get the pictures too with some tweeking - Team Richards is up on that.

My son also just did something to tweek my GPSr so that coordinates for parking for a cache actually say that - woo hoo!