vb:literal>

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: iGPS?

Smile

Sounds like the Palm and cachemate are the way to go. I googled paperless caching as Haffy suggested. Lots of articles with about ten steps or more to do this. Might be a bit more than my techno skills or lack thereof. My question is whether it really is all that easy? Di and I did 7 caches yesterday with clipboard and 2 Garmins in hands. One person that saw us wondered what kind of "survey" we were doing! I'm ready to get a Palm and will look to you folks and this site for technical and MORAL support!

It's not really that hard once you get the hang of it. Heck If I can do it anyone can, believe me. When that next event comes up in your area which I think would be Kaching Karen's get together in Augusta ,then I'm sure if you and Di attend you will be able to get some good lessons on paperless caching.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

I hope to attend but I spend most weekends during winter months at Sugarloaf unless the wind is a factor. My very first cache October 31st, this year was one she put out on Togus Stream "A Great Place to Launch." Still snowing like crazy up here iin Maine, go Pats and thanks again for all the helpful insight. By the way, yesterday's high was around 14 and we were out for 7 caches. My mother thinks I've become senile!

Windy and cool here today in the 40's, it's been in the 70's til this weekend. Still great weather though and we got almost 2 inches of rain yesterday which was a Godsend but not nearly enough to fill the resevoirs around. The whole state is still in near extreme drought conditions so it will be a while before the restrictions are pulled though.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Sounds like the Palm and cachemate are the way to go. I googled paperless caching as Haffy suggested. Lots of articles with about ten steps or more to do this. Might be a bit more than my techno skills or lack thereof. My question is whether it really is all that easy? Di and I did 7 caches yesterday with clipboard and 2 Garmins in hands. One person that saw us wondered what kind of "survey" we were doing! I'm ready to get a Palm and will look to you folks and this site for technical and MORAL support!
    I was just like you . . . well kind of . . . just a little shorter, fatter and with less hair on my head than you.

What I mean is I started out printing out cache information . . . and in fact I personally recommend that folks new to geocaching do just that instead of going out and buying a high winder, fancy (and in some cases daunting) Palm type device and going paperless. Once folks get the hang of geocaching and are doing it for a while and realize that this is a hobby they will stick with for a while then going paperless is most definitely a good thing . . . and I say this as a person who is a near Luddite when it comes to electronic gizmos (I don't even own a cell phone . . . my wife owns one . . . but we never use it and have no idea of what the phone number is even!)

Trust me . . . going paperless is much, much easier than doing the print-out thing . . . no more shuffling papers, losing papers, etc. The nice thing is you get all the info on the caches and can even do a search for other local caches to another cache . . . in other words if you're at a cache and want to do some more local caches you can do a search and it will present you with a list of other caches in the area.

The only couple of drawbacks that I see with paperless personally is that I only download the cache information once a week so if someone has disabled a cache and I'm relying on "old" information vs. printing out a page the day I go caching than I might be out of luck . . . that and I've had a few glitches here and there with my PDA which have somehow resolved on their own (i.e. incomplete information being downloaded.) All in all, I am quite happy going paperless.

I should also mention that when I'm going on a big caching trip I sometimes will run off a list of the caches I want to find so I know in what order I want to search for them . . . or in case my PDA dies on the trip. However, in most cases (i.e. one day caching trips) I just bring along my PDA and a list of the caches in the order I want to look for them.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

. . . My mother thinks I've become senile!
    We're all senile here . . . just don't tell anyone.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

That looks like the ticket. Hey, Haffy, or anybody that might be able to help: Di and I are using a lot of printer ink and paper printing the first 3 or so pages on caches we hunt. Is there a device that's portable to which these things can be downloaded? I know very little about Blackberry like devices but would get one if they work well.
    Ah, just do what I do . . . go to your workplace and run off a half bazillion copies of the cache information on the workplace printers.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I should also mention that when I'm going on a big caching trip I sometimes will run off a list of the caches I want to find so I know in what order I want to search for them . . . or in case my PDA dies on the trip. However, in most cases (i.e. one day caching trips) I just bring along my PDA and a list of the caches in the order I want to look for them.
    And with the right mapping software on your computer, you can upload your caches to the map and print out a paper map of the area you're going to visit. Makes it much easier to plan your trip and SAVE GAS!