vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: AtV freindly caches

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    Wow...I started this post a long time ago and lost track of it and found it again..thanks to all of you. We rode the trails in Newport...nice but rail trails can be boring..also rode most if not all the trails out of Bingham..most caches are great..Deathwish ,CRAZY..but a little off the trail: Foster's Solitude...awesome but again off the trail. Foss Pond boat launch..fun, I could go on but again attributes show ATV and they are off the trail. I don't like to get landowners mad so we miss a lot of caches that we probably could ride right up too. Would LOVE more info about the trail out of The Airline Diner so firfighter jake you seem to be the pro, please give me more info...camping, caches, fall lodging..Thanks!
    The Newport to Dover-Foxcroft trail is a great trail . . . as long as you know what you're in for (usually lots of dust and it can be a rather boring ride as it is pretty much straight as it is an old RR line.)

I'm not a pro, but I'll share what knowledge I have about the Sunrise Trail and I'm hoping others will chime in. General knowledge: The Sunrise Trail is an ATV trail downeast that is comprised of something along the order of 600 miles of trails ranging from old logging roads, blueberry barrens, old wood tote roads and specific ATV-cut trails. While there are many ways to access this trail system I would wager that one of the more popular jumping off spots for folks trailering to this area would be at the Airline Snack Bar on Rt. 9 located in or near Beddington. The Airline Snack Bar owners have long been friends to the ATV community by providing free parking behind their store and by providing a small diner, gas station and general store at this location -- and there is a public bathroom built by the DOT. In addition, the owners have a no-frills motel here and small campground.

There are also several camping sites located along the Sunrise Trail system, but to be honest I don't know much about them in terms of reserving sites, prices, etc. I do know that a few of the ones that I have seen are quite nice and there are a few primitive sites as well. Other possible lodging sites could be found at the Nicatous Lodge near Burlington, camps at Grand Lake Stream (a very ATV friendly community where ATVs are allowed on all public roads as long as they maintain the proper speed limit) and in some of the larger communities nearby which may or may not be directly on the Sunrise Trail system.

The last I looked there wasn't a huge amount of caches along the Sunrise Trail system. EMSDanel has a micro at Grand Lake Stream and Evil Homer has placed a cache or two along the trail and you may grab one or two at Chick Hill, but again, it's not like Menace's caches along the Newport rail trail.

In general I would say that most rides are day rides. If you ride north you should expect to put on 80-125 miles round-trip . . . if you ride south you will put on a few less miles, but it will take about the same amount of time due to some muddy/rocky terrain near Cherryfield.

For the record, I love riding on the Sunrise Trail . . . and personally recommend it to every ATVer . . . that and making sure you go to the County at least once as it is a very ATV friendly area as well with lots and lots of trails . . . nothing like riding beside the potato and broccoli fields, crossing huge railroad trestles (well former RR trestles) or riding on the sidewalks in Van Buren and seeing a cop wave as you pass by him is one of the most surreal experiences I have ever had as an ATVer.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default Going to try the area

Ok, we are going to try the area this coming weekend. My plan is to camp at the Airline Diner campground (I'm calling tomorrow after I check weather one more time). My only concern is that the Sunrise trail looks far away from this point, but if I'm mistaken, which direction should we ride and how far. I'm also up for any other ideas from this spot. I just get a little uncertain about areas we never rode before. Thanks for all your other info also. Looking forward to any more info! Oh..any foliage up ther yet...and any GPS tracks from anyone?

Geesh - there is an event this coming weekend but I am not the ATV expert.

Is the event near the Airline diner?

Hard Question for me - the event page is
    GC1EQ8Q - Alexander ME. Contact the poster for more info.

Today, 05:36 PM
    racatv
    GC Name: racatv Posts: 7

Going to try the area
    Ok, we are going to try the area this coming weekend. My plan is to camp at the Airline Diner campground (I'm calling tomorrow after I check weather one more time). My only concern is that the Sunrise trail looks far away from this point, but if I'm mistaken, which direction should we ride and how far. I'm also up for any other ideas from this spot. I just get a little uncertain about areas we never rode before. Thanks for all your other info also. Looking forward to any more info! Oh..any foliage up ther yet...and any GPS tracks from anyone?

I think you'll like the Sunrise Trail and will find it worth the trip. While the trail is pretty well marked I would recommend you bring your GPSr and a Maine DeLorme . . . and if at all possible see if you can't get a trail map since this is a very large trail system.

For your first trip out a good day trip with a nice end point is to ride from the Airline Snack Bar out to Grand Lake Stream -- you can grab lunch and gas up at the general store in town, find EMSDanel's micro cache in town and if you're lucky watch the fish attempting to go up the dam (which you can ride over on your ATV). If you go to GLS you can do some small loops for some alternative scenery (and grab some of Evil Homer's caches on the way). Trails to GLS mostly consist of woods trails and old logging roads . . . at least until you get to the paved roads in GLS where you should keep your speed down to 15-20 mph.

Some other good rides are to go up to the Nicatous Lodge (another good day trip on similar trails as those going to GLS), a short hop over to Chick Hill (great views and there is a cache or two there) or if you're adventurous you can head south to Cherryfield . . . trails there are woods trails and blueberry barrens. You can gas up and eat at Cherryfield . . . in general I found the trail to Cherryfield to be a bit rougher (but still not bad.)

No foliage yet . . . although you might see some leaves changing near the bogs and waterways. Unfortunately/fortunately there is an event in Alexander (which isn't all that far away -- the Tread Lightly 2008 Event) so I'm unable to act as a guide . . . perhaps some other ATVers/geocachers might volunteer . . . or you may be able to hook up with some fellow campers/ATVers.

Enjoy your trip. Stay safe.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Thanks for your info. We are going this weekend and will do the trail to GSL. Could you tell me what club has these trails so I can check them out online. Sorry to turn this into an ATV forum, but we WILL be caching also! It looks like quite a ride but I'm sure the trails must be nice to do that mileage! Thanks again

Thanks for your info. We are going this weekend and will do the trail to GSL. Could you tell me what club has these trails so I can check them out online. Sorry to turn this into an ATV forum, but we WILL be caching also! It looks like quite a ride but I'm sure the trails must be nice to do that mileage! Thanks again
    I believe there are two or three (or more) Clubs that have these trails. I'm pretty sure the Airline ATV Riders out of Eddington and Acadia Area ATVers are two of the Clubs that maintain the trail. You might be able to get more info/contact info from ATVMaine.org.

I want to thank you for yor advice about the riding. We stayed at the Airline Diner, not much of a place but we were comfortable. Rode to Harrington Thurs, LOVED the trails and the blueberry fields..unbelivable! Rode to Grand Lake Steam Friday and again LOVED the trails and GLS was an awesome ATV freindly town like you said. Couldn't find the micro in town, I stink at mirco's..was it at the big birch tree? The store in town is for sale, the couple that own it were very nice. We had a sandwich from the store at the dam, nice spot. 209 miles riding in 2 days..we're pooped! again, thanks for all you advice, we'll def go back, RAC's other half