vb:literal>

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: AtV freindly caches

Default Whistle Stop Trail Caches

If you are looking for a short ATV/Caching ride check out the Whistle Stop Trail from Farmington to Jay. I went on this ride last Friday with a couple of other ATV'ers who don't cache but wanted to go along for the ride despite my frequent stops. There are currently 4 caches on the Farmington end, one at an old granite quarry about half way to Jay and a couple more on the Jay end. I suspect there will soon be more. The trail is about 16 or 17 miles long with lots of things to see along the way.

We ran into Gob-ler who was walking the Farmington end of the trail early in the morning and had a nice chat. We found 6 of the 7 caches and grabbed some lunch in Jay. There was some rain for our return trip to Farmington but that's why we carry raingear.

Thanks to Katahdin Goddess, Mapachi, Patriotsgame and Raline from Maine for putting the caches out. This was my third ride on this trail and it was the caches that brought me back.
    The trouble with doing nothing is that it is hard to know when you're finished.

Quote Originally Posted by racatv View Post
    I want to thank you for yor advice about the riding. We stayed at the Airline Diner, not much of a place but we were comfortable. Rode to Harrington Thurs, LOVED the trails and the blueberry fields..unbelivable! Rode to Grand Lake Steam Friday and again LOVED the trails and GLS was an awesome ATV freindly town like you said. Couldn't find the micro in town, I stink at mirco's..was it at the big birch tree? The store in town is for sale, the couple that own it were very nice. We had a sandwich from the store at the dam, nice spot. 209 miles riding in 2 days..we're pooped! again, thanks for all you advice, we'll def go back, RAC's other half
    I was wondering how you guys made out . . . thanks for the update. Glad you enjoyed the ride and area. If you liked the blueberry fields now you would love to see them later in the Fall when they turn color.

For another good trip . . . lots of miles . . . lots of friendly folks . . . but lots of driving to get there . . . head to the County. A good, central place is to get a hotel room in Presque Isle and you can head to many, many places in the area . . . a ride to the Blue Moose for lunch which requires a ride over a very, very high bridge spanning a river, riding up Mars Hill and seeing the wind turbines, heading to the Squapan area, riding around Easton with the smell of french fries in the air . . . lots of railroad beds, potato fields, broccoli fields, etc.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by steverph View Post
    If you are looking for a short ATV/Caching ride check out the Whistle Stop Trail from Farmington to Jay. I went on this ride last Friday with a couple of other ATV'ers who don't cache but wanted to go along for the ride despite my frequent stops. There are currently 4 caches on the Farmington end, one at an old granite quarry about half way to Jay and a couple more on the Jay end. I suspect there will soon be more. The trail is about 16 or 17 miles long with lots of things to see along the way.

We ran into Gob-ler who was walking the Farmington end of the trail early in the morning and had a nice chat. We found 6 of the 7 caches and grabbed some lunch in Jay. There was some rain for our return trip to Farmington but that's why we carry raingear.

Thanks to Katahdin Goddess, Mapachi, Patriotsgame and Raline from Maine for putting the caches out. This was my third ride on this trail and it was the caches that brought me back.
    Good to hear from you Steverph . . . and thanks for the post. Sounds intriguing.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

I guess this thread is as good a place as any to mention an upcoming event.

Troy ATV Club is holding their 4th Annual ATV Poker Run with a top prize being $100 cash (and well over 30 other prizes . . . including a $150 free service for Polaris ATVs from Chase Toys).

September 20th (this Saturday), Raindate is September 21st (if raining the ride will be canceled by 7:30 a.m.)

This ride starts with registration from 9-9:30 a.m. and the ride begins at 9:30 a.m. from the Carter Road in Troy (off Rt. 202).

$5 for the meal (meatball sub, salads, soda, chips, dessert) plus $1 per poker hand (max 3 hands, must be 16 or older to play).

Anyone have an ATV that Hiram could borrow for Saturday? I promise that I will not let him ride it like he drove his Jeep.