vb:literal>

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Winter Camping...

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    we could all do a snowshoe hike up tumbledown and camp out up there.
    Don't tease us, if you're not serious. I would love to go up there. I'm not sure you know this, but there is/was a snowmobile trail that ends just above the lake. This is very doable and would be a blast!! Not sure about camping rules up there, but people camp there all the time during the summer.

Default Hello!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Yes Vic did a great job with the winter camp out last year. And Tom too.... This camping trip in 2 weeks I thought was just that. A camping trip with whomever wanted to go. It was never planned to be an event as far as I was concerned. I just wanted to do more winter camping this year, and I know there are others who feel the same way. Isn't that right Aaron, Stef, Karen and Tom.
    What about me? I know I didn't make the winter camping event last year, but that was beyond my control. And besides where were you on the -10 below night we spent out there, checking things out. Now that was fun!!
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

we could all do a snowshoe hike up tumbledown and camp out up there.
    Oh, that would be so much fun! Isn't there a shelter at the base?

I'm just dreaming about camping anyways. Still no car and not hope of having one this week.

My Uncle plotted a trail up the back side of Tumbledown. There is a dirt road that starts west of the mountain and circles north to the top.
    (I just usually bomb up the Brook trail, but not with ice everywhere!)

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Me thinks you would need crampons and some good rope this time of year.....
    nahhhh, safety equipment is for those without good health insurance... i did about 3/4 of it in conditions like this a couple years ago... didnt finish cuz a sno storm rolled in... sure it took me about 4x as long and it was even harder goin down cuz of the ice (at one point i just did a belly flop and slid part of the way... good fun)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    Don't tease us, if you're not serious. I would love to go up there. I'm not sure you know this, but there is/was a snowmobile trail that ends just above the lake. This is very doable and would be a blast!! Not sure about camping rules up there, but people camp there all the time during the summer.
    last time i went up in the winter i passed a couple people coming down that spent the night up there.... possiblities...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    ... Isn't there a shelter at the base? ...
    I think the shelter was torn down when they prohibited camping there a few years ago. The easier way up is on the opposite side of the mountain.
    Last edited by tat; 12-22-2007 at 07:34 PM. Reason: can't spell

. . . (at one point i just did a belly flop and slid part of the way... good fun)
    Hiram . . . the "human otter?"

Look out Marvel and DC, there's a new superhero in town . . . Hiram the Human Otterman . . . vanquishing the world of evil one belly slide at a time.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Lightbulb More suggestions!

Mainiac said had the idea of looking into a camping spot near Canton for before/after this weekend's event...we'll see!

I think I'm hearing folks saying they really just want to get out in the snow; I don't think we need to make the camping trip(s) "events" necessarily; so I think we're waiting on leaders to emerge and get some details from the "campgrounds". Anyway, continue posting thoughts, whole or otherwise.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Default Recompense Campground, 5/6 Jan

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    ...I don't think we need to make the camping trip(s) "events" necessarily; so I think we're waiting on leaders to emerge and get some details from the "campgrounds". ...
    Ok, if all we need is some direction, How about this:

Place: Recompense Campground
    Date: Friday and Saturday nights, January 4 and 5, 2008 (leaving Sunday)
    Weather prediction: Lows 15F.
    Snow cover: snowshoes and/or skis.

It willl not be an event (not enough notice).
    Everyone is welcome.