vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Thread : Maine snow caching

Default New Thread : Maine snow caching

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Change of subject: Would it be possible to have a thread here where people logging winter caches would also report them here? I need a "cache fix" as Di and I just bagged a bundle of 'em iin Florida and want slap on the snowshoes and get a bunch more. Problem is I have looked at the entire Central Maine cache list and there seems to be very few finds in the last two weeks. I know the snow is somewhat of an issue, the "snow friendly" icon can be of help, but I'd prefer chase a few that have recent logs. Any suggestions or comments?
    Start the thread and they will come........
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Default The real benefit....

I always use geocaching as an excuse to head outdoors and cure my cabin fever, during those long winter months. Logging a cache is a just a bonus. So whether you find it or not............

The " Grab your Snowshoes " event was posted this morning. Come out and join us.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Snow Caches

Thanks for starting this, Haffy. So in regards to the standard guardrail micros, should these all be giving "temp. archive" status until Mother Nature uncovers them, or can I use my backhoe to dig 'em out?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Default Winter caching

I have been able to log 50 caches since Dec 2, and the first snowfall. In Maine, New Hampshire and Vermont. You just need to be willing to do a little extra work.

I have a bookmark listing just for this . Find it here, GCGJQ6

There is also a bookmark listing for: "Easier in Winter" put out by nemsmedic11 in New Hampshire. Jeff is an avid geocacher so these should be well visited.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Bring a shovel....that should do the trick.

The snow has really curtailed most of my hides...are they impossible, no....but it's up to each individual cacher if it's accessible or not.

Oh and T2H, yes, you can add that one that we discussed to the list. It took me a few days to stop laughing.

d’76 Guest

Girlmate and I found our first 75 or so caches in the snow. It took a bit more digging but it was fun with the proper clothing.

Smile Winter cache topic

I don't want to give the impression that digging 'em out of the snow is not our thing, actually I enjoy winter time hiking as much if not more than summer hiking. But.... the cache descriptors give few clues as to whether it's an hour of digging in a compacted snowbank covering a guardrail, or a hide requiring a little digging with a realistic chance for us average cachers to find it. I know 20 or 30 caches I've done that could be found today, but I know twice that amount that would be close to impossible at this time. Maybe I'm too goal oriented but I'd like to log a few finds here and there during the winter months. To new, but very enthusiastic cachers like Di and myself, it would help to keep the energy level up if we set out to do caches that you vets might be able to find in this much snow!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Lightbulb snowflake icon!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    But.... the cache descriptors give few clues as to whether it's an hour of digging in a compacted snowbank covering a guardrail, or a hide requiring a little digging with a realistic chance for us average cachers to find it.
    The bookmark lists are great. Another safe thing to do is look for the snowflake icon on the cache description page. I think there's a way to do a query for these too. Still, they don't always mean it'll be a plowed path to the cache; Hiram's cache in Halifax Park, Winslow, is quite the treck in because they use the park parkinglot to pile up the snow, basically snowshoes are needed. I hope you got out this weekend before the forecasted rain this week!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

HI There, Just spent a week in Florida. Had a few good caching days although for the most part the owners don't look after their caches or respond to notes. In the good ol'state of Maine, I dare say there are many caches bearing the snowflake icon that we can't get now even with excavators. I know beacause we looked for a few marked snow friendly without success. Probably all 5000 of the guardrail micros should be temporarily archived by their owners. I'd like to see a new thread about this and perhaps occasional notes by members who have found snow friendly caches. I don't know how to start a new thread and figure I'm too much of a newbie to do so, so how can we get this discussion started? Thanks again for you kind comments and help. Dan

----

Looks like Haffy beat me to the punch to post your PM that you sent to me Dan . . .

Not much I can add to the conversation except to say that one of the best bets is to look for the snowflake icon for each cache you're looking at making an attempt on . . . my experience has shown me that folks that use the snowflake icon generally have caches where you won't be doing a lot of digging (caches are more likely to be hanging in trees, stumps, etc.) In fact, in some cases there are some winter caches that are definitely easier to access in the winter . . . think Etna Bog cache (which I still have yet to find incidentally) and there are a bunch of them in the Dixmont/Newburgh/Winterport area by . . . ah . . . my mind is a bit fried right now . . . nearly 200 miles in the past two days on the sled (not to mention one stuck sled and one low speed roll-over . . . at least I didn't crash my sled though . . . ah yes, couldn't think of their name for a minute . . . by Groleau.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Default A good hint......

When we first started at Christmas we had no choice but to go looking in the snow. My best tip is to look for a cache witha really good hint.

A clump of 3 trees. Or something like that. Makes it a lot easier to find under the snow if you have to dig. Good luck!