vb:literal>

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: RE: Computer geek advice needed

Quote Originally Posted by Team Ducky View Post
    A machine pre-installed with Vista is the way to go. Upgrading from XP would be a noightmare. ...
    I suspect upgrading is the biggest cause for Vista's problems. From the people I've talked to, Vista does not do well with less than 2gig of ram, while XP cannot access more than 2gig. And, if the hardware was designed for XP, the updated drivers may not be as effective.

One thing is certain: Hardware and Software vendors will eventually stop developing on the XP platform. Sooner or later, the Vista will be a better alternative than XP. I'm hoping Linux or Apple will be better than Microsoft.

I have been using the full version of Grisoft AVG on XP. I've had only one attack and the software took care of it cleanly. On this machine, I'm trying just the free version and so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Gob-ler View Post
    For anti virus AVG gets strong reviews. At MSN.com there is a section right now devoted to programs that the computer user needs, all free.
    Thanks for the heads-up Gob-ler . . . noticed that myself earlier today and I dutifully copied down the programs that I thought would be beneficial for my needs and wants.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I have been using the full version of Grisoft AVG on XP. I've had only one attack and the software took care of it cleanly. On this machine, I'm trying just the free version and so far, so good.
    I've been using the free version of AVG for over 4 years now and have had only 2 attacks I think and it took care of both of them. Well worth the price...
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

hey, does the computer actually get channels? or do you have to subscribe to somethin? or does it plug into cable??? how do it know???
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    hey, does the computer actually get channels? or do you have to subscribe to somethin? or does it plug into cable??? how do it know???
    Yes, you can attach your cable TV wire right to it, or an aerial will give you local stations.

That reminds me of one thing - If you get a system with a TV tuner, and it's analog, it will not work for local broadcasting anymore after February 17, 2009. You may want to ask if the computer has a digital tuner just so you know. Plus, it'll be fun to watch the kid at the store try to figure it out.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    Yes, you can attach your cable TV wire right to it, or an aerial will give you local stations.

That reminds me of one thing - If you get a system with a TV tuner, and it's analog, it will not work for local broadcasting anymore after February 17, 2009. You may want to ask if the computer has a digital tuner just so you know. Plus, it'll be fun to watch the kid at the store try to figure it out.
    ok, well heres my next question then... our apt building has very thick walls, even with the most expensive set of rabbit ears RadioHack had to offer, all we can get for tv channels is the blue channel, vertical line channel, and the snow channel. And I'm too cheap to fork over $40 a month for cable that I'll only watch a few hours a month anyways... So would somethin like this even be of use to me given my current situation??
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post

I believe it can do both analog and digital . . . but if for some reason it's just analog I figure I'll wait until the Feds start offering the low-cost digital tuner program and pick up one then.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Update . . . so far, so good.

Installed a new video card last night and then started loading up some of my wife's games . . . most of them loaded and play with no issues. I have had a couple of older games that were giving me some problems . . . so I'll come back to them later (maybe after seeing if there is a patch or update for them.)

I also tried, but failed to make the connection to my local ISP . . . I think I'll need to call them today to have them walk me through the proper steps since it's been a long time since I've set up the internet connection and e-mail account.

I also removed Norton from the computer (based on the advice here and from folks at another forum) as well as the 60-day trial Microsoft Office program . . . figured I might as well get rid of it now since I won't be buying it.

In the next few days after getting connected to the internet I'm planning on removing more bloatware (and will most likely be asking you folks what is safe to remove and what should I keep . . . especially for the start-up since it seems to take quite a while to boot up.) I'm also planning on checking on patches and updates for software, the video card and Vista and getting an anti-virus program . . . or two.

I do have one question though . . . I have an older style printer with the older style cord . . . think wide with lots of pins . . . and there is no such connector on this computer . . . does this mean I need a new printer or is there an adapter to go from the old style cord to a USB?

Finally, before I wrapped things up last night I loaded up the game that Heidi gave me for Christmas . . . WHOA! Rock my world . . . even on some of the low settings (I intend to play around with these later and see how high I can set them) Call of Duty 4 was wicked. . . . I only stopped playing after I died . . . and I needed to go to bed early anyways (I was up to 1 the night . . . well technically the morning . . . before.)

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I do have one question though . . . I have an older style printer with the older style cord . . . think wide with lots of pins . . . and there is no such connector on this computer . . . does this mean I need a new printer or is there an adapter to go from the old style cord to a USB?
    Hiya,

That's a parallel printer connection. They do offer a parallel to usb cable but it's expensive. $42.00 at staples.....they are not always reliable and sometimes just don't work. Maybe it's time you upgraded your printer too? Usually, they have the new ones pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    ok, well heres my next question then... our apt building has very thick walls, even with the most expensive set of rabbit ears RadioHack had to offer, all we can get for tv channels is the blue channel, vertical line channel, and the snow channel. And I'm too cheap to fork over $40 a month for cable that I'll only watch a few hours a month anyways... So would something like this even be of use to me given my current situation??
    I'd gamble you can expect less reception with the TV card than a conventional TV. My card's specs specifications stated it required a cable TV signal or an amplified antenna signal. I had an amp hooked up to a large outdoor aerial and still got poor reception at times. Works great on cable, however. IIRC, my sister got cable service in Brewer that just had the local channels - I think this is a service they supply normally to supplement Sat TV owners who want to get local channels. Might be worth checking in to. Maybe someone here can elaborate on that.

I believe weaker tuners are common in modern day TVs - TV stations put out more power than in past years, and TV manufacturers expect the majority of TVs to be connected to cable or satellite.

You'll also find when we move to all digital broadcast, there will be no snow. There is no partial signal - either you will get the station, or you'll get nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    I believe it can do both analog and digital . . . but if for some reason it's just analog I figure I'll wait until the Feds start offering the low-cost digital tuner program and pick up one then.
    Don't take this for granted with any TV - I know someone who recently spent $$$ on a big LCD TV thinking because it was a digital TV that he was set. Just because the screen is digital does not mean the tuner is.

The downside of using the external tuner is you'll be changing channels with yet another remote since you will be leaving the PCTV channel set to 3. This also makes recording TV shows trickier.

I think early this year stores or manufacturers are going to be required to put labels on all TVs that do not have digital tuners.

I also second the motion on a new printer. It won't cost much more than the adapter, and you'll have less hassles.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."