vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Dead tb

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Well I wasn't at the Last Bashe of 2007 but went to the Apres event. Since I'm not one of the "regulars", I sure would hate to be a suspect who gets talked about behind his back. Guess it's a good reason to not come to any of the future events. My wife was looking forward to the Pirate event. I'll break the bad news to her.
    Steve, I can assure you that your attendance is wanted at the Pirate Quest. I know that we have talked about it in the past and both Hollora and I look forward to seeing you and your wife again.

I can also assure you that our feelings toward the potential loss of a geocoin or TB may not be the same as other event organizers. We would never blame anyone or the whole group that attended for the loss of a coin or TB because the bottom line is that we are not 100% sure what happened to it.

People who release these trackables know it could go missing, that's a chance that they take.

Please reconsider attending the Maine Pirate Quest...we will have a good time and we want you and all of our other caching friends to be there. We handle the TB/geocoin table a certain way, and that is how it will stay. We were pleased with the success last year and will do things similar this year.

We are so lucky to have such an amazing group of cachers in Maine. There are so many that would just drop everything to help when someone is in trouble, or need a little help. I am so thankful for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    . . .
    People who release these trackables know it could go missing, that's a chance that they take.

. . .
    Agreed . . .

The way I look at it . . . I would like my TBs to travel, but recognize the fact that they may go MIA. I would like to think no one would intentionally take the TB, but instead any MIA TB would be due to someone not realizing that it was a TB and that TBs are designed to be moved along and not retained or that someone took it and misplaced it. That said, if someone does take a TB it's not the end of the world for me . . . it's a risk that comes with shipping out a TB into the wild blue yonder.

Of course as a geocacher there is one sure way to make sure no one ever thinks you've taken a TB or coin . . . never pick one up . . . of course that kind of runs counter to the TB's goal of being moved along.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    The way I look at it . . . I would like my TBs to travel, but recognize the fact that they may go MIA. I would like to think no one would intentionally take the TB, but instead any MIA TB would be due to someone not realizing that it was a TB and that TBs are designed to be moved along and not retained or that someone took it and misplaced it. That said, if someone does take a TB it's not the end of the world for me . . . it's a risk that comes with shipping out a TB into the wild blue yonder.
    I would be willing to bet that probably a lot of TB loss from caches is because someone takes a TB, then doesn't go caching again and forgets about the TB they took.

And it would be a great help if EVERYONE attached a tag specifying the goals, if any, and repeating the "This is no ordinary trading item" explanation that many of the tags have.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    I would be willing to bet that probably a lot of TB loss from caches is because someone takes a TB, then doesn't go caching again and forgets about the TB they took.

. . .
    True, true.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

I had one stolen 11/27/2005 that has never shown up since
    http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=181182

I just realized that my "Geocaching Police Squad" geocoin was also "stolen ??" hollora placed this coin in GCX4Q2 in TN on Jan. 4th. I thought I had been keeping track of this coin by just visiting my geocoin page and seeing that it had yet to move. I didn't even think to check the logs. I guess it was a Rookie mistake. Oh well; Live and Learn.

It turns out that the day after hollera placed the coin another cacher found the cache open and placed on top of it's hiding place. The swag was still there but no coin.

GO FIGURE ?!?! I was aware when I sent this out that this might happen, but it still stinks. It lived a very short life, but did travel far. Overall it was a good experience and I'll still sent more out into the world.

I don't worry to much about my TBs going missing, but I am rather attached to my geocoins. If I'm going to send one out I buy two and keep one at home.

We have one TB we set out that would be very hard for anyone to leave an event unnoticed with:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=231953

It has been having a great time in Southern New England this winter.

Sheesh! I haven't mentioned "Cindy the Cinderblock" in a while! Last seen in North Carolina in October, "Cindy" has visited Maine a couple of times. (Seems like a song keeps running through my head.. Something like "get along home, Cindy, Cindy??) LOL!

And that got us involved in "Capture the Flag" event - I took Cindy to New Hampshire and dropped "her" with someone actually named Cindy, and brought back a bunch of TB's that needed to go to Bar Harbor. Wow! Did that event ever get crazy or what?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! I haven't mentioned "Cindy the Cinderblock" in a while! Last seen in North Carolina in October, "Cindy" has visited Maine a couple of times. (Seems like a song keeps running through my head.. Something like "get along home, Cindy, Cindy??) LOL!

And that got us involved in "Capture the Flag" event - I took Cindy to New Hampshire and dropped "her" with someone actually named Cindy, and brought back a bunch of TB's that needed to go to Bar Harbor. Wow! Did that event ever get crazy or what?
    Maybe my memory is failing me . . . but wasn't there a concrete cylinder TB that was floating around in the Fairfield/Waterville area for a while as well?

Both TBs that would be hard to accidentally pocket . . . or to pick up and forget to put in another cache.