Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 43

Thread: Celebrate 2007 (Jan.27th Windsor School)

  1. #31
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Maine
    Posts
    753

    Unhappy TBs MIA

    It is really frustrating. I didn't want to be a TB Nazi, but I guess that's what you've got to have if you have a TB table. I feel like I really let Karen down, she really didn't want this to happen AGAIN! I know that it's sometimes hard if there aren't clear logs at the table, but I thought mine were really obvious. I also thought if any did get picked up without being logged, that a simple announcement would clear up any confusion, guess not. I think Sudonim is right, the only way to do it is to hold on to the TB until someone finds you who really wants it, so you know who it's going to. I'll hope for the best...
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    535

    Default

    I may have missed something here or maybe am reading into things, but in reality it comes down to the integrity of the cacher (like we all did not know that right?). It's what you choose to do when no one is watching and even at the event with the extra work (a lot of extra work) was put into logging the items in and out, something may be missing. Hopefully the items that are not accounted for will show up. It used to be that coins and such were left for a while in events so they could be discovered, but now I log them immediately if I have taken them. They can still be discovered with no problem at all.

    Hope the coins/TB's all make it through OK.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Post TBs and Coins At Events

    No Gob-ler I don't think you missed anything. It just comes down to realizing right after an event that some TBs and coins are perhaps not accounted for (but may be). I was trying to help by saying when I was new I didn't quite know what to do. Often picked them up and kept them without logging. (Fortunately that wasn't for long - as someone helped me.)

    Steph was trying really hard to keep track. Some sort of fell through the cracks. I know at the Pirate Quest last year - there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. The owner were upset but understood. Guess KK had a coin disappear from her event last year too.

    The GW5 event didn't track any of the 1000s which went through their event. Some are probably still missing. When you set it free, like children - there are no guarantees. If we handle it in the middle - again - only so much we can do.

    Steph - chin up, you did your best. Perhaps any which are missing will turn up. Have and keep the faith!

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Wink Missing Coins

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    No Gob-ler I don't think you missed anything. It just comes down to realizing right after an event that some TBs and coins are perhaps not accounted for (but may be). I was trying to help by saying when I was new I didn't quite know what to do. Often picked them up and kept them without logging. (Fortunately that wasn't for long - as someone helped me.)

    Steph was trying really hard to keep track. Some sort of fell through the cracks. I know at the Pirate Quest last year - there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. The owner were upset but understood. Guess KK had a coin disappear from her event last year too.

    The GW5 event didn't track any of the 1000s which went through their event. Some are probably still missing. When you set it free, like children - there are no guarantees. If we handle it in the middle - again - only so much we can do.

    Steph - chin up, you did your best. Perhaps any which are missing will turn up. Have and keep the faith!
    Just a thought. Some of the very new people who attended probably don't know about Geo-Maine. I didn't until Haffy brought to my attention after I'd already logged 100 caches. If Steph has the geo-names of everybody who attended, perhaps a blanket mailing to the newbies might do it. I didn't log my Tb's correctly initially (was putting the tracking #'s in my logs) so I bet the two missing coins are the hands of people who may not realize they should have logged them when they got home. Let's hope anyway..... And Steph, you did great and no way Karen would feel you let her down.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    It is really frustrating. I didn't want to be a TB Nazi, but I guess that's what you've got to have if you have a TB table. I feel like I really let Karen down, she really didn't want this to happen AGAIN! I know that it's sometimes hard if there aren't clear logs at the table, but I thought mine were really obvious. I also thought if any did get picked up without being logged, that a simple announcement would clear up any confusion, guess not. I think Sudonim is right, the only way to do it is to hold on to the TB until someone finds you who really wants it, so you know who it's going to. I'll hope for the best...




    No Travel Bugs for you! Next!!!
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Unity, Maine
    Posts
    3,866

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    . . . there was one lost which someone must have taken........it was a simulated US Passport with lots of stuff attached. Someone must have it.....but it has not been logged. . . .
    Maybe someone tried to use it while crossing to Campobello and they have been detained. . . . Maybe we should contact the folks at Gitanimo and see if they have some hapless geocacher locked up there.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

    "Death is only one of many ways to die."

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Oh great, now I'll have to stand out in the street and play with all the trackables.
    lol, I can see it now, showing up to an event and there's cameo in a trenchcoat and dark sunglasses stoppin people as they go into the event... "Hey kid, wanna see some trackables, coins, tbs, watches, redsox tickets, I got em all, and i got em cheap!!"
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post



    No Travel Bugs for you! Next!!!

    haha! i almost shot water out my nose from laughing at this one...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer,ME
    Posts
    2,576

    Talking Yep got me too!

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    haha! i almost shot water out my nose from laughing at this one...
    Jake you are too funny.
    Happy Trails!
    Yeah it's a Jeep thing!


  10. #40
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    ME
    Posts
    3,517

    Thumbs up

    Just checked the event log and it appears some of the missing has been accounted for and folks just needed time to log them. A few may have been dropped and just not retrieved by a few but some of the ones discussed seem to have been accounted for in logs. Nice going - very nice.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •