vb:literal>

Page 8 of 42 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: Chats

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    Why is Jesus Christ's middle initial H? What does the H stand for?
    Actually, I found an explanation for this that actually sounds quite plausible:

"In many churches the inscription IHC is part of church art. These happen to be an abbreviation of the name Jesus, which is spelled IHSYS in Greek capital letters. In small letters it is spelled Iesus and the "Ie" is pronounced "Yay" and the last three letters are pronounced "Soos" with a long OO. The Greek letter S is written several different ways, depending on where it is in a word or whether it's a capital or not, but the common name Jesus was abbreviated Jes (no period) and was written IHC or IHS in all-capital letters. The "H" is actually a letter that is pronounced "ay." It is not an initial "H." "H" was not written at all in ancient Greek, but was added by editors a long time later and is written as a backwards apostrophe in front of a vowel, or over the second vowel of a diphthong."

Who would have known...

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Actually, I found an explanation for this that actually sounds quite plausible:

"In many churches the inscription IHC is part of church art. These happen to be an abbreviation of the name Jesus, which is spelled IHSYS in Greek capital letters. In small letters it is spelled Iesus and the "Ie" is pronounced "Yay" and the last three letters are pronounced "Soos" with a long OO. The Greek letter S is written several different ways, depending on where it is in a word or whether it's a capital or not, but the common name Jesus was abbreviated Jes (no period) and was written IHC or IHS in all-capital letters. The "H" is actually a letter that is pronounced "ay." It is not an initial "H." "H" was not written at all in ancient Greek, but was added by editors a long time later and is written as a backwards apostrophe in front of a vowel, or over the second vowel of a diphthong."

Who would have known...

wow Bruce... it's a nice day... why aren't you outside...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    wow Bruce... it's a nice day... why aren't you outside...
    Sheesh! Probably for the same reason you weren't! LOL!

Sheesh! Probably for the same reason you weren't! LOL!
    heh, because you don't have a car either???

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    The things a person can learn by just looking at post on Geocaching Maine.
    Very true! I learned if you ask for people to only come into chat if they're gonna be nice, that you are dating someone. Or, maybe I learned that just because you can't see an archived log, you should still know whose log it was and what it said. Or maybe I learned Jesus's parents couldn't spell, either. Or, maybe I learned ... Oh forget it, I know less than I ever did. I need to try harder to hang around more intelligent people. Bruce, mind if I stop by tomorrow?
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Default Just making fun of my Franco genes!

Sorry, Bruce. I was just poking fun at my heritage and relatives, nothing negative towards you whatsoever, seriously. When your mom is a Cyr from Fort Kent, and both sets up my grandparents were from the province of Quebec, it's hard to deny my roots. But occassionally it's a good excuse for doing numb things..as " Don't blame me, I'm French." My best jokes are not lawyer jokes, but french jokes.

And with my Jesuit education, I know what you wrote about the "h" and the Greeks is on the money. brdad is right...there's a wealth of info here for sure.

Get out there and go for 2000!

My comment had absolutely nothing to do with you, Franco-Americans or French Canadians, noting that my link was to a New Brunswick site, and New Brunswick was an ENGLISH colony and the destination of ENGLISH loyalists. Or were you just trolling?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

[quote=WhereRWe?;51136]Actually, I found an explanation for this that actually sounds quite plausible:

OK.....I read the above. So, why is Jesus' middle name "H"? ;-)
    Plus: I never knew women wore special thongs if it was for a short swim.

Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Plus: I never knew women wore special thongs if it was for a short swim.
    heh... ummmm.... nevermind, I'm not touching this one....

See what one can learn by just asking a question!......Thanks Bruce!!