vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kaching Karen goes to Guatemala

Smile Kaching Karen goes to Guatemala

Here's an article I read in the paper about the person who founded Safe Passage. It was touching. http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/st...63514&ac=PHnws

Kaching Karen will be traveling to Guatemala in February, and I wanted to wish her luck! I hope you change lives, but come back with yours!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Default Thanks Medawisla

Here is another link that helps explain more, in pictures and words, about what I will be doing: http://news.mainetoday.com/denning/

Yes, the more I learn about Guatemala, the more apprehensive I get. That's a good thing. I'm setting up a blog (started it this morning) and will let people know how to access it soon. The kids at school will be using it for social studies. We had a Safe Passage board member come in to my grade 7 and 8 classes and show the documentary "Recycled Life" which is about the toxic waste dump in Guatemala City. Those are the kids I will be working with. I will be doing fun things too, such as climbing a volcano, finding at least one geocache, exploring mayan ruins and learning about the culture.
    My students asked Dr. Deborah Walters (the board member, a friend, and a geocacher, and fellow winter camper) some excellent questions. I was proud of them.

We do not know what it's like to live in a third world country. A warning lable comes with this trip, "Beware, the life you change, might be your own."
    Last edited by Kaching Karen; 01-19-2008 at 01:58 PM. Reason: post a link

Quote Originally Posted by Kaching Karen View Post
    I'm setting up a blot
    An ink blot??

Perhaps you should try a blog!
    Happy Trails!

Default Done!

Okay, you brat... I fixed the ink blot. It's now a blog.

Default Oh great!!

Now what I wrote makes no sense.
    Happy Trails!

Karen - when my friend went to India on a mission trip the group packed as much as possible into their bags to take things with them for the folks they would serve. Are you doing this?

What if anything can we bring to you next weekend? A large duffle to fill? What would be needed for inside? Tee shirts? Small toys? Shoes? Socks? Pens? Crayons? Balls? Markers? Is there anything we can bring to help you on the mission?

You name it in this thread and I bet it will come.

Default Donations

My students asked the same questions. At this point, SafePassages has got a lot of physical stuff. They need monetary donations to keep things rolling. I have been asked to bring playground balls and beans for our lesson plans. I'll be asking the students for that. I will also ask Deborah about other stuff. Thanks for your thoughts.

I'll keep watching. Also, I noticed on their web site they take Paypal!

Default what?

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Now what I wrote makes no sense.
    And you just figured that out......
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Safe journey KK. Very touching story. Let me know if there is anything we can do here

Todd
    Make love not micros