vb:literal>

Thread: Caches at schools now banned

Default Caches at schools now banned

I was told in official chat last night that caches on elementary and secondary school grounds are not permitted anymore, so any of us that were considering it might have to reconsider. Existing caches are grandfathered unless there is a problem reported.

I would assume if the school decides to place one on their own property, as is the case in the cache at the China School, an exception would be made. Not sure how this applies to hafft adopting this cache, hopefully it is still ok.

Also, lighters were added to the list of items that are not allowed in caches.

Dang, there goes my plans for that pocketknife/lighter theme cache hidden behind the steps at the local school.

Question Forbidden List

Where Can I Find The List Of Stuff Not To Put In Cache's? I Know Common Sense Should Apply But Not All Have That Looking At Posts. Why Would Somone Feel The Need To Put A Bottle Of Mouthwash, Shampoo, Or Like That That Might Leak? No Offence But Looking At Posts There Seems To Have Been Several Ruined By Stuff Like That.

Cache Listing Requirements/Guidelines

The guidelines stress safety more than anything, but you are right - placing liquids in caches can be detrimental to the rest of the cache and should be considered before using them.
    Last edited by brdad; 02-15-2005 at 08:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I was told in official chat last night that caches on elementary and secondary school grounds are not permitted anymore, so any of us that were considering it might have to reconsider. Existing caches are grandfathered unless there is a problem reported.
    This surprises me!!! I know a LOT of schools establish the caches themselves often as an exercise in advanced math or something.

Quote Originally Posted by brdad
    I would assume if the school decides to place one on their own property, as is the case in the cache at the China School, an exception would be made.
    Although caches placed near schools are my least favorite...competing with urban caches , I also think introduction of caching in relation to the gps concept and using waypoints is a great idea as a school project. Caches created by schools don't necessarily have to be posted on gc.com. They can be used for instructional purposes and then use gc.com caches for enrichment. I guess you can see the former teacher in me coming out.

Post New updated guidelines

Just got done reading the new guidlines that Geocaching.com has posted and yes,it seems that caches are being denied placement on elementary and secondary schoolgrounds. I have emailed our reviewer, gpsfun, about me adopting the China School Forest cache and am awaiting his reply. It probably is grandfathered but just want to be sure before I go ahead and place another cache there.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Wink Mom,I'm sick

I'd do just about anything to get out of going to school as a kid. Now we visit them for caches. I have gone when school was closed, weekends and vacations. I always feel strange hunting around on school property. I do believe kids will benefit from being able to place a cache at school. Math and history along with exercise and good clean fun. Maybe caching will give them something to be involved in and out of harms way. It should be a good thing. My navigator agrees.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default Update

In regards to my last post. Got a reply back from our reviewer Gpsfun and he said the cache is grandfathered and I shouldn't have any problem with it as far as he was concerned. So it looks like when the weather turns for the better I will be reinstating the China School Forest cache. But do remember that if you do decide to put one on school grounds now,it is illegal.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.