vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Aefuss a fellow Maine geocacher

Thumbs up Aefuss tribute

Gob-ler put together a nice tribute to Aefuss...I wonder if he can post the file he shared at Celebrate 2007 Event...?
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

d’76 Guest

If I remember correctly it was here and you need to scroll down to the bottom, it was called the dash
    http://www.walkthetalk.com/pages/ins...nal-movies.htm

Thanks Gob-ler, I think you did a great job

I have been reading the comments on Aaron and the loss of his life. Having worked as a voluteer at the local Domestic Violence Project in Ellsworth for nine years before taking a break, I would like to say that domestic violence is the scourge of the state of Maine and other states. In Maine over 50% of the murders are related to domestic violence, this makes us one of the highest in the nation considering our population. The loss of a fellow cacher just brings this closer to home for all of us. I never knew him but I know the pain of this type of loss. The only way we can stop this scourge is to help in some way. Some of the ways you can help is attending fund raiser for your local Domestic Violence Project, donate diapers, small toys, toilet articles, phone cards, gas cards, gift certificates to McDonalds, Wendy's, Burger King. I know that some make think that these aren't very healthy places to eat, but it is free to them and sometimes this may be the only food they have had to eat in several days. Many times the Mom and children have to leave in such a hurry all they have is the clothes on their backs. To stop this terrible terrible scourge we all have a responsibility to help. If any of you have any questions please feel free to contact Becket or myself. I met Becket when I was a volunteer at my local Domestic Violence Project. We feel very strongly about stopping DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, ( I put this in capital letters to indicate how large this problem is). This senseless loss of life caused by a selfish man whose thought and revenge were in his head and not in reality can never fully be explained. Reading about this and seeing this on the news has greatly angered me. Becket and I have heard many horror stories in our years of working in Domestic Violence, for me this was right up there with the worst. The loss of life in two families and children without a Mother and if Aaron was a father is so wrong. My thoughts and prayers are with those who knew these two people. Anything any of you do can be done in memory of Aefuss, a fellow cacher. Thank you for letting me voice how I feel about what happened and please do what you can to end this blight on our society.

Here is a direct link to the movie that was shown today at the event.....

http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Cache Maine View Post
    Here is a direct link to the movie that was shown today at the event.....

http://www.dashpoemmovie.com/
    Thank you for adding that link. Also, TAT specifically went to, I think it was Spruce Run, and there were little purple ribbon pins and booklets on Domestic Violence for folks to take from the event. I saw people wearing the ribbons.

From a post in the National Forums, I believe the WaCoRanglers who were all firends are planning to keep Aaron's memory alive with his caches and TBs.

Shayshay & Becket you are so right - we must put an end to this horrid problem in our state and assist those who are caught on the merry-go-round of abuse. Aaron, it sounds like was trying to do just that.

Watch - The Dash - it says things well.

Quote Originally Posted by shayshay View Post
    We feel very strongly about stopping DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, ( I put this in capital letters to indicate how large this problem is).
    I can understand your position but I worked 7 years at the Oxford County Jail and saw some ridiculous stuff. One man was brought in on a domestic assault charge for splashing his wife with a glass of water. He gets a record, can't return to his house for maybe a month until court, has financial difficulties because he has no place to stay but a motel, possibly loses a job because of the record, and his wife has probably done the same thing to him in the past but he was mature enough not to report something so trivial. Domestic violence is bad, but gimmee a break. Petty is petty.

I am not getting into a big conversation with the last post cocerning DV, but this incident you talk about didn't result in the death of two people, children losing their parents. Unfortunately sometimes the innocent get treated badly. I find it rather strange that you didn't mention other forms of dv you might have seen in working in the jail. There is no comparing the two incidents. As I said I will not comment again on this type of post. Negativety towards DV doesn't do anything to stop senseless killings of the victims.

Some of what I said was not in my notes, but here is what was in my notes.

Why do bad things happen to good people? It is an age old question for which there really is no acceptable answer.

We have a little glimpse into the life of Aefuss by the logs he left as he geocached. Here is his first log:

July 1, 2002 by Aefuss – Gleasons Cove – GC67BA

First find with GPS. Was on my way to work and gave it a shot. One of my favorite spots, go there often. Was very foggy today, still took some pics though . I hope to stash some caches myself in the area
    Just as I found the cache my batteries went dead, so I swapped my travel clock for some fresh batteries... Thanks.
    Left the area around 3:30 pm...off to work
    One of his last logs, his 400th find:

December 16, 2007 by Aefuss – Cobscook Reversing Falls – GC17X1G

Well I must confess, this turned into an adventure with eebee. We started off for this during the second good snow storm of the season! We figured we could get pretty close to the needed location with eebee's new Jeep Liberty. That was not the case, we got about .25 of a mile and the plowed road ended. So we pushed on only till we were just under .20 of a mile. From there we hiked. And what a hike it turned into... The wind was blowing pretty good, it looked like the snow was actually flying from in front of us. Using my new Xmas present (Delorme PN-20 GPS) we continued our trek down to the shore. Well, sadly, I had not realized that it was near high tide when we left for this one, so the picture of the falls is pretty boring. We arrived about (15:00 hrs) 30 minutes before high tide. You could make out the currents entering the bay, though nothing of the roaring waters or the wild confused rapids I have witnessed many times before. As the crow flies I live only 6 miles away. I have kayaked the northern side (Cobscook Bay) of this area many times. Though I have never been crazy enough to run the falls. This will be a special find for me, both for the hike in the snow storm, and the fact this is my 400th find! So the included pictures will show all, what the falls look like near full tide in a snow storm in December. Thanks for the adventure and lesson! Aefuss - Eastport, ME

Some verses to consider:

For everything there is a season, and a time for every matter under heaven:

A time to be born, and a time to die;
    A time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted;
    A time to kill, and a time to heal;
    A time to break down, and a time to build up;
    A time to mourn, and a time to dance;
    A time to cast away stones, and a time to gather stones together;
    A time to embrace, and a time to refrain from embracing;
    A time to seek, and a time to lose;
    A time to keep, and a time to cast away;
    A time to rend, and a time to sew;
    A time to keep silence, and a time to speak;
    A time to Love . . . . .Ecclesiastes 3:1-8

Life is brief at its longest - As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more – Psalm 103:15-16

Teach us to number our days – Psalm 90:12

Quality of life is more important than quantity. “How” one lives is more important than “How Long”.

We live in deeds, not years; in thoughts, not breaths;
    In feelings, not in figures on a dial.
    We should count time by heart-throbs. He most lives
    Who thinks most, feels the noblest, acts the best.

The best thing any one of us can do before this day is out is stop and think of those we cherish the most and determine that we will seek those people out and tell them how much we love them.

You never know which day might be your last so choose to live one day at a time as if it were the last day you would ever have.

There but for the grace of God go I.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

Here in Lancaster my sister works closely with the local domestic violence shelter within the church that we attend. On a couple of occasions I have gone with her to deliver needed goods,furniture,etc,etc. We have to drive up to a private gate and it' s monitored so that no one can enter unless they know you and the gate is opened from the inside. She has many stories she has told me about the women and children she has befriended since she started donating her time to the cause. It is truely a shame that things like this happen but it's people like Becket ,ShayShay and my sister who make the lives of these unfortunate people a little easier to bear. Thanks to those who put in that extra effort to make their lives a little better.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

The Memorial Service for Aaron (Aefuss) will be Sunday Feb. 3rd at 2:00 Pm at the Second Baptist Church in Calais on Church St. Church St. is behind the post office between Washington St & Main St. For anyone close enough to come it would be great to have you. He loved this hobby so much & always looked forward to getting the next find. His goal was to reach 500 by July. If you see his name posted eebee will be keep up the count for Aefuss. His spirit will be with us as we continue in his memory. So don't be shocked when you see his name logged. We are going to help him reach his goal! Please join us in remembering Aaron on Sunday, even if you can not make it. Thanks for all your kind words during this tragic time.
    Melissa (Mipster)