vb:literal>

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celestial Event

Cool Celestial Event

Beautiful morning on Monday, February 4th. Venus and Jupiter will be unusally close together with a cresent moon hanging below creating a brilliant triangle in the southeastern sky.

"On the following morning, Monday, Feb. 4, the show will reach its peak when, about 45 minutes before sunrise, Venus, Jupiter and the moon — the three brightest objects of the night sky — will form a striking isosceles triangle, with the two planets 3 degrees apart and the moon marking the vertex of the triangle just over 5 degrees below the 'dynamic duo.'"
    Last edited by Medawisla; 01-27-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: added location
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Very cool, thanks. My 3rd grader is studying the planets and moon right now so I'll have to make sure she is up for that.
    Slowly but surely

My experience has found that whenever something like this is mentioned in print, it ends up cloudy at the exact time it takes place. I'll check it out anyway. My wife and I like this type of stuff. A couple weeks ago we snowmobiled out to a pipeline and just laid in the trail watching stars.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Beautiful morning on Monday, February 4th. ....

"On the following morning, Monday, Feb. 4, the show will reach its peak when, about 45 minutes before sunrise, Venus, Jupiter and the moon — the three brightest objects of the night sky — will form a striking isosceles triangle, with the two planets 3 degrees apart and the moon marking the vertex of the triangle just over 5 degrees below the 'dynamic duo.'"
    Perfect timing...the morning after the Patriots win the Superbowl...
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    My experience has found that whenever something like this is mentioned in print, it ends up cloudy at the exact time it takes place.
    You got that right! LOL

Thanks for letting us know Steph!

Lightbulb viewing areas

I might try to be at the 2-cent bridge in Waterville/Winslow to see it that morning. Feel free to join me, and get the cache (GCTHQ7) on the bridge if you haven't yet.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

http://spaceweather.com/

MORNING SKY ALERT: Set your alarm for dawn. On Friday morning, February 1st, Venus and Jupiter converge in the southeastern sky less than 1 degree apart. It's a spectacular view worth waking up early to see.

Thumbs up lots to see

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
    http://spaceweather.com/

MORNING SKY ALERT: Set your alarm for dawn. On Friday morning, February 1st, Venus and Jupiter converge in the southeastern sky less than 1 degree apart. It's a spectacular view worth waking up early to see.
    This is not the same event, but on that preceeds it. February 1st will be a point when Venus and Jupiter are the closest together (just 1 degree apart) and then they will separate again until on February 4th they will be two corners of a triangle formed with the moon between the two planets.

Enjoy both events!!

Default No show

It was too cloudy in Augusta to see anything today.
    I was up on time and off to the gym.

Same here in Norway but then I knew it would be cloudy. Everytime that the space shuttle goes over, a big meteor shower is predicted, or any celestial event happens, it is cloudy over Norway. If our sun exploded, I wouldn't see it until the blast hit our atmosphere and ripped the clouds away. Of course then I wouldn't really care.