vb:literal>

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Celestial Event

Default Saw the two planets...

I was up early on Saturday, 2/2, heading down the Maine Turnpike on the way to Cape Cod. I left before dawn. As I made my way towards Exit 19? (used to be 3, Kennebunk) the sun started to come up and the two planets were just sitting side by side low in the sky. The moon was off to the right and higher than the two planets. Venus was particularly large and brilliant. Jupiter was also brilliant, though not as large.

It would have been cool to see the moon above them instead... but today was too cloudy

I imagine the next time thse objects all line up like this will be sometime in our grandchildren's future?

Unhappy Alas, cloudy here too

Quote Originally Posted by kayakerinme View Post
    I was up early on Saturday, 2/2, heading down the Maine Turnpike on the way to Cape Cod. I left before dawn. As I made my way towards Exit 19? (used to be 3, Kennebunk) the sun started to come up and the two planets were just sitting side by side low in the sky. The moon was off to the right and higher than the two planets. Venus was particularly large and brilliant. Jupiter was also brilliant, though not as large.

It would have been cool to see the moon above them instead... but today was too cloudy

I imagine the next time thse objects all line up like this will be sometime in our grandchildren's future?
    Cloudy it was, but it'll happen again in Fall I think, read the links that started this thread. Then it'll occur in Spring in 2012.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Exclamation Moon Eclipse Feb 20th

On February 20th starting at 10pm, a full eclipse of the moon will occur, and a bright star and Saturn will also help create a beautiful night sky.

http://www.space.com/spacewatch/0802...r-eclipse.html
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Thanks for the weather report Medawisla. Now I know over a week in advance that it will be cloudy and snowy on the 20th and can make plans accordingly.

Don't forget the eclipse tonight!!

Here is some info on it:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=6613

its been sunny all day here and just as soon as the sun set...... here comes the clouds!! I hope they are gone in a few hours!

Thumbs up Beautiful Here in Orrington

It's really pretty to watch here - I am trying to take photos. Tried to upload one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Starzz View Post
    Don't forget the eclipse tonight!!

Here is some info on it:

http://www.astronomy.com/asy/default.aspx?c=a&id=6613
    Starzz - thanks for that link. I didn't know about finding Saturn - very cool!

Thumbs up Can't ask for a better night to have an eclipse.

It is fantastic here in Brewer as well. Last one for another two years.
    Happy Trails!

i can't feel my ears... shoulda worna hat... moon, red... cold...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.