vb:literal>

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Thread: RE: Carribean vacation

Yeah, What are the geocaches like down there and the geocaching experience. What do they put in theirs. And what about TBs and sig. items?
    Opalsns

Angry that's not all!

How could you forget to tell us about the geocaching and beaches?!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! Great trip report, but didn't you do any geocaching? LOL!
    Yup . . . but it wasn't my main focus (my main focus was spending some quality time with my wife).

I pretty much only did some caching when it was convenient, close or when I had some spare time.

I found a cache in Old San Juan (micro), looked briefly for another in OSJ but only found a lot of cats and lizards after a short look, did a quick cache in Dominica (and in the process ended up completing half of that country's caches . . . there's only two on the whole island) and incorporated caching, visiting a fort and doing the beach thing while on Antigua . . . I left my signature ladders behind in Antigua and Dominica.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Yeah, What are the geocaches like down there and the geocaching experience. What do they put in theirs. And what about TBs and sig. items?
    Opalsns
    Well I only did three so I can't say a whole lot . . . but it appeared pretty much like the caches around here. One was a keyholder, one was a tupperware container (no issues with snow and the cold down there) and one was a lunchbox at a business.

I don't usually take stuff so I didn't spend much time pawing through the caches . . . looked like the regular old trinkets and cache junk you find in local caches here. As mentioned I only gave the caches a cursory look so I'm not really sure if there was much in there for TBs or SIs.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

Hey thanks for all the insights into your trip and one of these days I would like to take a similar trip. Sure sounds like fun to me.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    How could you forget to tell us about the geocaching and beaches?!
    Mea culpa . . . I should have realized folks here would want to know more about the caching there.

As for the beaches . . . I only did three and a half. Loved Honeymoon Beach on Water Island (the "Last Virgin" so named since it is the latest Virgin Island to make up the US Virgin Islands) . . . very quiet, some fish, some conches, good snorkeling and good swimming and a local named Heidi has a food wagon there and there was a mini-shack that sold drinks. I could have spent a lot more time there swimming, snorkeling and enjoying life.

I also loved Fort James Beach on Antigua . . . snorkeling wasn't possible, but the warm water was great for swimming, there was lots of photo ops and the turquoise blue waters was something that you would see right out of a travel brochure. This beach was also very quiet, perfect for long walks along the sand, great for collecting shells and my wife and I in a very uncharacteristic move (we're not very touchy feely) opted to get a beach side massage from a wonderful Jamaican lady named Stacy. The added bonus was the nearby fort and geocache at the fort. Again, I could have stayed here a lot, lot longer.

We also did Dawn Beach on St. Martin . . . this was the busiest beach that we visited, but it was not overly crowded and to be frank I wasn't really up to risking seeing too much flesh at the ever popular Orient Beach with the clothing optional "section." Snorkeling was great here, the waters were warm and the same shade of blue as the Fort James Beach. This beach also can be very flat or very wavy depending on the weather . . . on the day we visited it was very wavy which made it kind of fun as I would bob up and down in the water like an over-sized buoy.

Our 1/2 beach was at Cockleshell Beach on St. Kitts . . . I would have liked to have sampled the swimming and snorkeling but this beach stop came on the tail end of a tour. As it was Heidi and I had dinner with the guide (and this was a fantastic use of our time as we got to really know him and learn about him, his past, his family, Kittian culture, etc.) and then the other couples we were with were getting antsy to get back to the ship. As it was I only had a little bit of time to check out the beach (it looked nice), collect a few shells and check out Wilbur -- an over-sized pig that is a well known resident of this beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Hey thanks for all the insights into your trip and one of these days I would like to take a similar trip. Sure sounds like fun to me.
    Trust me it was . . . the fact that I'm willing to "sacrifice" my prime snowmobiling season time next February to go again God willing and if we can afford it is very telling . . . and to a very large degree I owe it all to Darterkitfox, Dubord, my brother-in-law and a few others here and at other BBS sites that convinced me it was something I might like to do . . . now if only we could get a Maine geocaching event together that involves cruising!

On the positive side . . . one of the couples on one of our tours told my wife horror stories about the snakes in North Carolina so I'm thinking one of her original thoughts to eventually move to NC might have been squashed . . . now she's thinking southern Colorado might make for a good "retirement state." I'm still pulling for Maine . . . or barring that some place in the Carribean.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    . . . now if only we could get a Maine geocaching event together that involves cruising!
    Funny you said that - as you know - I love cruising! Have often though what a fun event a cruise would be???.........sort of like a Kayak Event or a Warren Island Campout..........only on a much larger, upper scale type of traveling.

My son and d-i-l enjoyed caching when they did their Anniversary Trip to Hawaii. In Hawaii, however, they were not impressed with the quality of caches but the sites were ok from what I understand - just a lack of maintenance.

FFJ - so happy you and Heidi (yes, I know she is real!) had a nice vacation! Here's to many more.

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    As for the beaches . . . I only did three and a half. Loved Honeymoon Beach on Water Island (the "Last Virgin" so named since it is the latest Virgin Island to make up the US Virgin Islands) . . . very quiet, some fish, some conches, good snorkeling and good swimming and a local named Heidi has a food wagon there and there was a mini-shack that sold drinks.
    Sheesh! A picture is worth a thousand words, Jake! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    Sheesh! A picture is worth a thousand words, Jake! LOL!
    Ask and ye shall receive. I'll try posting a pic or two later on today . . . last night I took an hour out to sort through all the pics I took. The funny thing is everytime I took a pic of the ocean I kept thinking of Haffy and his "issues" with pics with horizons that are crooked and not perfectly level -- I tried Haffy, I really tried to get level horizons -- couldn't get all of them level though.