vb:literal>

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The tale of two skis

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Yeah...I remember in my American history class about the pilgrims clearing the land and building CHAIN LINK FENCES.
    Wasn't it a year or two after that when Pilgrim Standish McDonald erected America's First Fastfood Restaurant featuring McVenison and McTurkey Nuggets available with a side order of squash or mashed potatoes?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

OK I was just laughing so hard my boys came over to see what I was reading.

Now a short history lesson on wire fences

Did you know~
    J. Wallace Page (1843-1916) was a dairy farmer near Adrian, Michigan after the Civil War.
    Legend has it that he was frustrated over the shortage of quality wood for building the type of rail fence popular for farms. As a result he began experimenting with the use of steel wire in fabricating fences to contain cattle and other livestock. At that time, barbed wire was the only wire product used in fencing and while it was effective, it still depended on wood posts for support.
    Wallace decided that the best solution was to design a completely new fence system made entirely from steel and this resulted in his invention of the first woven wire fence in 1883.

WOW I didn't know that.

Arrow Loon has flown

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    I went out yesterday, 2/25/08 to do the Messalonski series. Di and I had done 1 and 2 and with all the "tracks" I figured the group of you left I guessed it would be farily easy hiking and somwhat helpful. Found 3 thru six without too much effort ( I did have helpful clues from Rich and Carol on 3 and 4. After doing 6 I decided to head back to the "squeeze" cache before loading the coords for #7. I figured Early fences meant something located close to the chain link fences where the trail starts! NOT! So by this time it was starting to get dark so now I"ve got to go back and get the last @#$#$% cache. Not realy a problem as the trail system is spectacular, plus I want to check on my loon that Steph placed there.
    Sorry Dubord, both that you missed out on #7 and that the loon was snatched as it touched the cache by Foxgloves who also fell in love with it! She's taken it to Vermont (there are loons out there too). Happy caching!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Team Richards View Post
    Now a short history lesson on wire fences

Did you know~
    J. Wallace Page (1843-1916) was a dairy farmer near Adrian, Michigan after the Civil War.
    Legend has it that he was frustrated over the shortage of quality wood for building the type of rail fence popular for farms. As a result he began experimenting with the use of steel wire in fabricating fences to contain cattle and other livestock. At that time, barbed wire was the only wire product used in fencing .............

Apparently someone is a history buff!
    Interesting Stuff !
    "It may be that your soul purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others" ~Steven Wright~
    I'm in my own little Lat/Lon

“Danse avec les Arbres”

Default The man on the one ski

Steph and I were snowshoeing at the arboretum the other day and TAT was joining us. I thought he was walking in to meet us. We came down the hill and saw him with ski poles. I asked Steph, "You don't think he's on one ski, do you?" Don't worry gang. He was on two.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxgloves View Post
    Apparently someone is a history buff!
    Interesting Stuff !
    You should read some of TR discoveries on coins. He should be a teacher. I have learned loads and love to let the Team Richards family discover my coins.

Quote Originally Posted by hollora View Post
    You should read some of TR discoveries on coins. He should be a teacher. I have learned loads and love to let the Team Richards family discover my coins.
    Thank you we do have fun.
    It started as a way to involve the boys, we love to see what we can learn.
    Off topic but~
    I learned today that if you are looking at a statue in the park of a person on a horse, and the horse has both front legs in the air, the person died in battle;
    if the horse has one front leg in the air, the person died as a result of wounds received in battle;
    if the horse has all four legs on the ground, the person died of natural causes.

I just thought that was cool, so now you know.

Wow - TR - that is cool about the horse statue information. You should be an educator - you are probably better than any home schooler who is now registered with the State of Maine. LOL

Now, if your boys have learned, from the logging of discovery coins, even 1/2 what I have learned they are much wiser than many young men I know of their age. I bet a lot of young folks would have never observed off my laynard what, William did to discover pins. One sharp observor I say!

May your learning journeys as a family never end! How very cool! The joy of discovery is a fun wonder to be shared. Cache on, cache happy and maximize the discoveries to include adventure and learning to take you to another dimension!

Happy to be a partner in friendship - LA

[quote=hollora;39832]
    May your learning journeys as a family never end! How very cool! The joy of discovery is a fun wonder to be shared. Cache on, cache happy and maximize the discoveries to include adventure and learning to take you to another dimension!

Very well said
    It is hard at times to keep their interest up, you really have to make it fun.

The boys like the state coins the best. we have been looking up very odd laws that are still on the books. You have to wonder why some where ever made into laws. I think there favorite is in Arizona "it is against the law to wash your donkey in your bathtub." I'd love to know the story be hide that law.

We are also working on our introverteness. I have challenged them to learn at least one persons name when we go to a social event. It has been funny to hear what they talked to people about.
    I should be so bold.

As for being a teacher, I'm flattered, but Teachers work way to hard, I'm not sure I could keep up

Thumbs up thanks to all passionate cachers

What Hollora says holds truth with many of us! Thanks a lot to all members of Team Richards for your continued enthusiasm with geocaching; you all are a joy to meet at events, fun on the trail, and impressive with logs. We appreciate the effort that you put into this sport and recognize that you are not a bunch of lazy cachers! We hope you always have so much fun and learn so much, and thanks for including us too!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods