vb:literal>

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: winter campout update

Default winter campout update

Tat, Lacydiesel and myself went to the campsite on Saturday. We got all the wood cut and stacked, dug out the fire pit and seating area. The Whetstone Mayor had dragged the trail and cut the brush that hung into the trail. All that is left to do is put the outhouse back up and we be ready for the event. Even if you don't want to stay over night come and enjoy the warmth of the fire and friendship for the day time events. The fire will be burning all day and someone will be cooking something good I'm sure. There is even a rumor of lobster omelets on Sunday morning.

Talking you're all awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Tat, Lacydiesel and myself went to the campsite on Saturday. We got all the wood cut and stacked, dug out the fire pit and seating area. The Whetstone Mayor had dragged the trail and cut the brush that hung into the trail. All that is left to do is put the outhouse back up and we be ready for the event. Even if you don't want to stay over night come and enjoy the warmth of the fire and friendship for the day time events. The fire will be burning all day and someone will be cooking something good I'm sure. There is even a rumor of lobster omelets on Sunday morning.
    Thanks guys for all your hard work!! We can't wait!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Question Are you coming?

Maine's Winter Camping Event 2008 is a great opportunity to get out and enjoy all this snow!

Event page: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...e-1a8af71bb7c1

The north has gotten a lot of snow! As Vic posted, over 3 feet! I remember last year's event was a big hit with the kids! They built igloos and ran trails throughout the frozen bog! The fire was huge! Hot chocolate was staying hot all day long. The organizers created these awesome sitting areas sheltered from the wind all around the big fire! It was a great place to get out of the house, but still be able to relax!

For many geocachers, last year's event was the first time they had ever been winter camping! It is a bit of a trek in, snowshoes or skis make it easy! There are plenty of folks who'll be experienced and can help you ease into winter camping!

Please check out the event page above. Personally, I'll be adding my "will attend" as soon as the WWWWWW4 event is over, to drop coins. If you have questions, feel free to post here! And I'm sure Vic will add updates.
    Last edited by Medawisla; 02-18-2008 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    The north has gotten a lot of snow! As Vic posted, over 3 feet!
    Actually, I think they've gotten about the same as we have so far, which is over 7 feet! It's just that the snow has settled a lot and there might be 3 feet on the ground now.

Since it's a Saturday, RULOST2? will be working, but I might try and show up.

Question I'm going! are you?

Reviving the thread to remind folks to post on the event page your intentions to come to the camping event, whether you're staying the night or just coming during the day for fun.

I'm going to contact Kaching Karen and see if she's coming, if so, she and I can put together some organized kids games for the day, but honestly there's plenty for kids to do. Last year, no organized games I can recall, but the kids built igloos, climbed mounds of snow, explored the woods and the bog, made tracks in fresh snow, joined in with the few caches that were placed, and all around seemed to have a great time.

I hope we can get a great turn out this year too, a lot of people have put a lot of really hard work into pulling the campsite together to make it inviting and enjoyable.

d’76 Guest

Mrs.76 aka girlmate aka squirrelbait and I will be coming up for the day. How far is it from the parking to the campsite? I just want to make sure that she can make it in. You know with those short legs of hers.

Cool short hike

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    Mrs.76 aka girlmate aka squirrelbait and I will be coming up for the day. How far is it from the parking to the campsite? I just want to make sure that she can make it in. You know with those short legs of hers.
    I'm pretty sure it's just a mile from the road/parking to the campsite. It's groomed too! Easy snowshoe, relatively easy walk considering it's in snow. Glad you're coming!!

It's 1 mile, 130 feet descending on the the way in. Snowshoes are your best bet, but the trail was packed well enough last time the we didn't even wear them. The trail is easy enough to ski, if you have 2 skis.

And, sherpa service is available, for a small fee, of course.

Here's an update for me. I will not be able to attend this event on my Snowmobile like last year as I had hoped. We have schedule a group ride on my snowmobile web site in Rangeley this weekend. I am bummed. I knew about it but it never crossed my mind that they were both on the same weekend.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    It's 1 mile, 130 feet descending on the the way in. Snowshoes are your best bet, but the trail was packed well enough last time the we didn't even wear them. The trail is easy enough to ski, if you have 2 skis.

And, sherpa service is available, for a small fee, of course.
    A sherpa service eh??? Maybe I will bring the dutch oven and buddy heater...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.