Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 27

Thread: Verizon DSL

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Auburn, Maine
    Posts
    318

    Default

    We had DSL for a long time but we switched to cable and it's much faster. I think it's because we are at the far end of the range for DSL, so the signal was bad.

    Also, have you guys tried Microsoft Virtual Earth? Their birds-eye view thingy is very cool because you can fly down into the street and look at all sides of an object, not just the top. The pictures are fairly new. I was happy to be able to see that my flat roof, which I have never seen in person, looked good - at least 3 years ago it did. I can tell what year the picture was taken because I know what I had in my yard at that time. Take a look at it if you can. It makes you feel like you could walk right in someone's door.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kacky View Post
    We had DSL for a long time but we switched to cable and it's much faster. I think it's because we are at the far end of the range for DSL, so the signal was bad.

    Also, have you guys tried Microsoft Virtual Earth? Their birds-eye view thingy is very cool because you can fly down into the street and look at all sides of an object, not just the top. The pictures are fairly new. I was happy to be able to see that my flat roof, which I have never seen in person, looked good - at least 3 years ago it did. I can tell what year the picture was taken because I know what I had in my yard at that time. Take a look at it if you can. It makes you feel like you could walk right in someone's door.
    I was looking at there web page and I do not see the download link. Is this something that has to be purchased?
    Blazing Troll

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Here is a link to download it Rick and anyone else who might be interested in it.

    http://microsoft-virtual-earth.en.softonic.com/
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bowdoinham, Maine
    Posts
    389

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Here is a link to download it Rick and anyone else who might be interested in it.

    http://microsoft-virtual-earth.en.softonic.com/
    memememememe Thank you
    Slowly but surely

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Canaan , Maine
    Posts
    498

    Default

    I've been at the Pub to long!!!

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    I just downloaded Microsoft Virtual Earth and I think it stinks. Google Earth from in my opinion is 100 times better.
    Blazing Troll

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    I just downloaded Microsoft Virtual Earth and I think it stinks. Google Earth from in my opinion is 100 times better.
    I have to take this comment back. I have been using it a few times in the last week. It comes in real handy when making maps from scratch. I am working on my next years release of my 2009 book and the $1.99 that paid for it has paid for itself many times over.
    Blazing Troll

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,588

    Default

    The one draw back to it is that the aeriel maps on Virtual Earth are far more out of date then Google Earth maps. The aeriel maps on Virtual Earth are over 9 years out of date. I have verified this because The Home Deport in Auburn Maine is not on the Virtual Earth map and that was built about 9 years ago. It does show up on Google Earth though.
    Blazing Troll

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Norway, Maine
    Posts
    262

    Default

    Any one have any satellite Virtual Earth maps from the 50's? I sure would like to get nostalgic about how my neighborhood used to look when I was growing up.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by darterkitfox View Post
    Any one have any satellite Virtual Earth maps from the 50's? I sure would like to get nostalgic about how my neighborhood used to look when I was growing up.
    LOL! Since the first satellite - Sputnik - wasn't even launched until October 1957, I doubt if any satellite photos of Maine were taken until MUCH past the 1950's.

    Aerial photos - taken from an airplane - probably exist, though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •