Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18

Thread: Do you ever go geocaching at night?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Hampden, ME
    Posts
    891

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Yeah can't remember the name, but it was an interesting terrain.

    I would have been petrified with a kid along.
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...-8118096ae126#

    Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.
    Everyone has the right to be an idiot at times. Just don't abuse the privilege.

  2. #12

    Default Great Cache

    Quote Originally Posted by pm28570 View Post
    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...-8118096ae126#

    Arizona State Nickname by Suited Pair. It's really a great cache, I think. However, I attempted right after being published on a drizzly day. With wet leaves, steep terrain and no assurance of grabbing a tree as you slid down, I decided to hold off for better conditions. I did go back....but one needs to be hyper-aware of where you step and the conditions.

    Yeah, this is a great one for sure but requires a bit of balance if you are going to attempt it in bad/wet weather. It's not a long walk to GZ but its mostly walking along a slope. I guess the good part is, if you go down, its mostly leaves and pine needles so you'll slide to the stream at the bottom nice and easy. Just watch out for the tree roots. They can be rough on the back side.
    There is a very fine line between 'hobby' and ‘mental illness'. ---Dave Barry

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    A, A
    Posts
    331

    Default Do you ever go geocaching at night?

    I think that over 50% of my finds have been at night. A lot of those have been coming home from day trips and getting out to stretch my legs near guardrails that looked more intereting (ie the nuvi beeped when I was coming up on it). I have had a couple of visits from the friendly men in blue wanting to know if I needed help, but in the woods, its usually beautiful and quiet. Very pleasant.

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default Night light

    We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    china,maine
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    We cache a lot at night, especially on FTF runs. The Petzel head lights are great but be careful not to get a branch in your eye. I also have the infamous 20,000,000 candle power flashlight which can turn night into day!

    What happened to the BIG light?
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    So. China Maine
    Posts
    1,588

    Default

    20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!


    Quote Originally Posted by shuman road searchers View Post
    What happened to the BIG light?
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    china,maine
    Posts
    411

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    20,000,000 candle light is the BIG light! I found one 3 times that but it has to be plugged into the dryer outlet so it would be useless caching!
    That must be the one we used that time that we had to tap into CMP's substation.LOL!
    You can't have everything. Where would you put it?-Steven Wright

  8. #18
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Orlando, Florida
    Posts
    285

    Default

    We have made a few nighttime finds, but I am easily spooked and clumsy, so it isn't wise for us.

    In spite of the fact that I usually trip over roots, leaves, my own feet, etc. while doing them, we really enjoyed the caches in Maine that are made to be done at night. Offhand I can think of:

    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...aspx?wp=GCYY49 (We did this one alone and with a group - highly recommend doing it with a group!)

    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...spx?wp=GC1Z37X (We did this one by basically playing follow-the-leader with the other eleventy billion Useless In Eustis 2009 attendees)

    http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache...7-8b4b188080ec

Similar Threads

  1. Girls night out
    By J_Cyr in forum Geocaching Humor
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-21-2005, 05:29 PM
  2. Sunday night?
    By d’76 in forum General Geocaching Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-07-2005, 05:22 AM
  3. 'Twas the Night Before Christmas By Kelly Markwell
    By attroll in forum Geocaching Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-16-2005, 09:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •