vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you ever go geocaching at night?

Question Do you ever go geocaching at night?

I do and find it's a lot of fun. Get out the headlamp and safety glasses, batteries and spare flashlights, compass and standard survial gear and go for it. Its a totally different experience!

The first one I did at night I didn't care for as I knew the place had a nice view and I couldn't see it. I ended up DNFing it, so at least I got to go back to see in daylight!

I did a few in NH at night, one was intended to be a night cache, that was fun. If was in a city so view was not such a big deal. I'm not sure how safe it'd be to do any intensive caches at night, it's easy enough to trip over stuff in daylight!

Talking a whole different world...

I recently completed a couple of night caches. The latest one, Sudonim's Salute to Veteran's offers an amazing night view over the nearby area.

As a special treat, we watched several planes circle around and do touch and go's at the airport. I thought I was in heaven!

Terrain was interesting. In the dark, I lost my sense of depth perception and stumbled a few times. A high quality walking stick (ski pole!) is a necessity at night.

Has anybody else have any night cache stories?

Red face eek!

I'm not sure how I well I would survive too intense a night cache. I, too, trip and fall during daylight hours. Unfortunately, some who have cached with me have seen me at my finest. My favorite fall was into a puddle of muddy water in the woods - ai yi yi - I am told that the explatives that came flying out of my mouth as I was falling was almost as impressive as seeing me lying in the puddle once I hit the ground - LOL!!!

I won't let the possibility of tripping in the dark hold me back from night caching though when the opportune time and cache present.
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 11-25-2004 at 04:16 PM.

Default Too conspicuous

I feel conspicuous enough caching in the daylight. I'd probably go completely paranoid searching around with a light in the middle of the night!

Besides, that would be way past my kids bedtime and its just not any fun geocaching without any of them along.

I love night caching and I find you are not as conspicuous as you may thing. Urban caching at night is a different thing but out on the trails there is hardly anyone there. There is a group of cachers near me knows as the BFL Crew. They cache every Friday night 52 weeks a year (well maybe a few days off ;-)

I'm sure everyone is waiting.

I have done a little night caching as that it when most of my other activities accrue. (Fires and Paranormal stuff).

One story was when I was heading home I got a notice that a cache had just been published a mile from where I was. It was behind a cemetery so off I went. It was a really hard one because it was on the side of a steep hill covered in leaves and near a cliff with a significant drop off to a rocky shore at oceans edge. It was also pitch black not to mention wet. I was about half way there and only about 100 feet from GZ when I had to make a decision as to keep going or turn back. Every step I took I was slipping down the hill. At that point it was as bad going back as going further.

Decided to head straight up the hill and come down from the top. Made the find. Went back days later and could not believe what I had done. It was scary during the day.

I have a few others like scaring the crap out of cops by accident. Good way to get shot especially at night. Having partners at the top of a mountain at midnight on the foggiest rainiest night of the year conclude all the crazy stories they hear from friends about me are true.

A lot of interesting things happen at night. Of course a lot of interesting things happen around me all the time.
    Last edited by Ekidokai; 03-03-2011 at 03:45 PM.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

I bet I know the cache you speak of that you found at night. I found it during the day with my 5 year old (at the time). That should have at least a 4 for terrain. We found it after the Mainiac1957 event last summer.

Yeah can't remember the name, but it was an interesting terrain.

I would have been petrified with a kid along.
    I have no enemies, but I'm intensely disliked by my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by Ekidokai View Post
    Yeah can't remember the name, but it was an interesting terrain.

I would have been petrified with a kid along.
    Probably not as petrified as the kid, huh?
    Appreciate everyone who has ever come into your life- for some come in as a blessing and others come in as a lesson.