vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: CFLs and other mercury lamps

Quote Originally Posted by Mapachi View Post
    When I was a kid I had a bottle of mercury! My friends and I used to play with it. We'd coat pennies with it. Pour it in a dish and float coins on it. Roll balls of it across the kitchen table etc. I had Mercury dust balls under my bed! Here I am 50 years later! Sad thing is; thats probably not the stupidest thing I did when I was a kid, either. I won't get into it; my grandkids might be reading this!
    I know just what you mean...we had a bottle of mercury in the high school lab...we were always fascinated by all the neat things you could do with the stuff...I don't seem to have any side affects....well maybe a few

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Steph I just love the fact that you respond to Aaron in the thread. Must be easier then trying to get through to him while he's playing video games.
    I'm always so busy doing dishes... and i can never hear what she's sayin over the vaccuum....
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

I know just what you mean...we had a bottle of mercury in the high school lab...we were always fascinated by all the neat things you could do with the stuff...I don't seem to have any side affects....well maybe a few
    heh... no comment

Lightbulb You got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    to discuss light bulbs...
    I remember that thread! ...so Mainiac are you impressed I used the word "lamps"?
    Yes I am Stef. Most non electricians just refer to them as lightbulbs. Which is of course fine.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Yes I am Stef. Most non electricians just refer to them as lightbulbs. Which is of course fine.
    no no no... if you call them lamps, cfls, flourecent bulbs, or tubs, you can't throw them in the dumpster! I call em hotdogs.

*side note* in no way shape or form do i condone dumping bulbs in the dumpster. this was just a joke. i pile them up in the back of my work van and drive around until they break so they fit into smaller boxes for recycling.

Back in the "days of old", when dimes were made of silver, we were always rubbing mercury on them because they made them SOOOOO shiny! (Wonder how many people we poisoned with those mercury covered dimes? LOL!)

And sheesh! It almost costs more to dispose of a fluorescent lamp now than it did to purchase it!

and who can forget the dimes with the portrait of mercury on them...1900-20's?

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    And sheesh! It almost costs more to dispose of a fluorescent lamp now than it did to purchase it!
    If I buy a box of bulbs for a store, it'll cost about $30, when I go to recycle those bulbs it'll cost about $45, I usually wait till i have a pretty good stockpile of bulbs before I recycle them, they don't charge you by the number of bulbs youre recycling, they charge you by the length of the bulb...

personaly I think if a company is going to manufacture something that requires special disposal, they should cover the cost of that disposal, and a convienent way to do so. Otherwise, invent something that isn't such a PITA!

Default I hear ya.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    If I buy a box of bulbs for a store, it'll cost about $30, when I go to recycle those bulbs it'll cost about $45, I usually wait till i have a pretty good stockpile of bulbs before I recycle them, they don't charge you by the number of bulbs youre recycling, they charge you by the length of the bulb...

personaly I think if a company is going to manufacture something that requires special disposal, they should cover the cost of that disposal, and a convienent way to do so. Otherwise, invent something that isn't such a PITA!
    Yep, It currently costs me $.12 a foot to recycle fluorescent tubes and $1.00 for HID lamps
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by Mainiac1957 View Post
    Yep, It currently costs me $.12 a foot to recycle fluorescent tubes and $1.00 for HID lamps
    It costs $.25 a foot for tubes at our transfer station, and they're just passing on the cost charged by the aggregator.