vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CFLs and other mercury lamps

Exclamation CFLs and other mercury lamps

CFL disposal was brought up in another forum, so I wanted to start one to tell you all that while CFLs should be disposed of properly, they are still beneficial to use.

Check out this article which includes links to places that will accept broken and unbroken lamps: http://ucsustainability.blogspot.com...and-clean.html

For those unfamiliar: Compact Fluorescent Lamps are those cool new light bulbs that use tons less energy and last years longer than conventional bulbs. However, they do have small amounts of mercury in them, so when broken, they can can be dangerous especially for small children and pregnant women. So try not to break them.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post

Check out this article which includes links to places that will accept broken and unbroken lamps:
    If they are broken isn't the damage already done by the elimination of the mercury?
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    If they are broken isn't the damage already done by the elimination of the mercury?
    actually you can buy mercury spill kits to clean up the mess, i have to carry a kit on my van for just such an occasion. (personally i think they're a waste of time because theres not telling how far away the stuff could travel when it falls to the ground...)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Default some vaporizes, some remains in dust

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean...
    When the bulb is broken, yes, some mercury is released. That's why you should open windows and leave the room for 15 minutes, but a lot of the mercury remains in the dust that is on the broken pieces and surface it broke on, so that's why there's a link in the article on how to clean up a broken bulb. Leaving it is not good, especially if there's a child who'll be agitating the carpet by playing or crawling. More dust will kick up and breathed. That's why vacuuming is worse; it agitates the carpet and kicks up the dust. So check out the links on how to clean it up. It's actually a lot of common sense, like using a wet rag to dab up the dust and tiny pieces, using a glass sealable container to prevent vapors from escaping, generally allowing the room to ventilate.
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    actually you can buy mercury spill kits to clean up the mess, i have to carry a kit on my van for just such an occasion. (personally i think they're a waste of time because theres not telling how far away the stuff could travel when it falls to the ground...)
    Read the study that was linked in the article there...the mercury doesn't spread in solid form very far at all, just as far as the glass pieces do.

Thanks Steph on the heads up. I am more concerned about lead paint in older housing than the chance I would break a CFL.

Lead paint is deteriorating at a rapid rate. It is just in so many older places ~ and ~ so many things which come from China! Children's toys included!!! A geocoin isn't going into Amara's hands until she is at least over 5! I bet those babies are loaded with lead.

All kidding aside ~ lead paint is in a lot of older housing, on boats and in automotive paint. It is the real deal and as dangerous as mercury with young children. Google lead paint for some good links to get information.

Steph - thanks for keeping us all environmentally sharp! Ah, sharps in the waste stream - now that could be another topic.

Default communicating!!

Quote Originally Posted by Medawisla View Post
    Read the study that was linked in the article there...the mercury doesn't spread in solid form very far at all, just as far as the glass pieces do.
    Steph I just love the fact that you respond to Aaron in the thread. Must be easier then trying to get through to him while he's playing video games.

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Steph I just love the fact that you respond to Aaron in the thread. Must be easier then trying to get through to him while he's playing video games.
    No comment *halo*grin*

Wink How many geocachers does it take...

to discuss light bulbs...
    I remember that thread! ...so Mainiac are you impressed I used the word "lamps"?

When I was a kid I had a bottle of mercury! My friends and I used to play with it. We'd coat pennies with it. Pour it in a dish and float coins on it. Roll balls of it across the kitchen table etc. I had Mercury dust balls under my bed! Here I am 50 years later! Sad thing is; thats probably not the stupidest thing I did when I was a kid, either. I won't get into it; my grandkids might be reading this!