vb:literal>

Thread: Need a maping education

Default Need a maping education

Ok folks, I would love if someone could try to educate me about what my nifty new Colorado CAN use for maps. (400T)

So far I have added the Map source metro guide NA, all I can say is I am less than thrilled with the detail of the maps. Half the fire lanes here are not shown, locations of POI in Rockland are so far off its not even funny, and side by side comparison with a Magellen explorist with the BASE map showed just how poor the map was showing unpaved ways.... It was hard to swallow my pride and admit that my $700 color unit had less detail than his $300 black and white.....Gulp

Topo gives more detail in many instances than the metro, and if both are selected many land/water features of the topo are lost.
    Are there options for loading other maps?

I may be doing something wrong, overlooking a setting or just suffering from delusions. But, what gives?

I am thrilled with the performance of the unit, love being able to change profiles, and the info loaded directly as a pocket querry works great for my casual use as a geocacher.
    Thanks...
    Bill R

Default Select a map detail setting

In the top tool bar, there is a drop down box. " select map detail setting "
    it ranges from, lowest, to highest. When you downloaded the maps into your GPS. Where was the setting? It should have been set to HIGHEST.
    Hope this helps. BTW I do not own a Colorado. But do have a Garmin with Mapsource.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Team2hunt View Post
    In the top tool bar, there is a drop down box. " select map detail setting "
    it ranges from, lowest, to highest. When you downloaded the maps into your GPS. Where was the setting? It should have been set to HIGHEST.
    Hope this helps. BTW I do not own a Colorado. But do have a Garmin with Mapsource.
    Sheesh! Good suggestion! My memory is pretty well gone or I could have thought of that! LOL!

I've been trying to figure out what the problem was, and like T2H, I don't have a Colorado but Mapsource works very well in my Garmin 60csx. Almost all of the paper company roads in my area are shown...

It has been set to highest detail level, I have noticed there is more detail for unpaved ways on the topo. When both maps are selected ( topo is supposed to show as shading) these disappear!

I was hoping that someone else might develop a third party map ( Delormes!) that might have better detail. I checked with it against a Tom Tom today out in Jefferson. I Noted that drives that had been named for the 911 conversion were listed more often than the map in the Colorado. I tried automotive mode, recreational mode, geocahing mode, Just the Topo selected, just the metro selected. No luck.

Was there a setting
    on the software i should have selected before loading to the GPS?

Maybe if you check out the following link it will shed some light on your dilema.
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=183511
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Quote Originally Posted by Haffy View Post
    Maybe if you check out the following link it will shed some light on your dilema.
    http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/ind...owtopic=183511
    Try this link instead - it will save you a few mouseclicks.

Thanks,
    That was one of the many sites I visited before the purchase decision was made. I have no other real issues other than the unit freezing if it sits in one location for a extended period. Other than that I love the unit, interface and ease of use. loading a pocket query in is so simple, and the screen is bright enough for my uses.
    My only disappointment is with the maps, maybe i expect to much. One side note of no real particular worth, so far every POI that is a church is dead on! One could always navigate to the nearest church and find their way with a paper map from there! lol.

I took the time last night to compare Google maps in the town of Washington to the city navigator. they were fairly close as many of the same unpaved roads were not drawn.

I still would love to see more details on unpaved areas, many of these are where I like to hunt, camp or fish. I guess i will still be carrying the Delormes gazetteer's on these trips.