vb:literal>

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Claiming Your Own Cache As A Find

Default Claiming Your Own Cache As A Find

While logging a recent cache I had found I noticed the owner of the cache had also posted a "find" for that same cache. The owner had even stated in the posting that he had checked and it was OK to do that. It may be perfectly acceptable but I had never seen that before. What do others think?

My impression was that you could EITHER hide or find a cache, not both. I've seen it too, usually with new cachers. I think (but I'm not sure) that it is addressed in the GC rules.
    Kinda cheesy IMO, you already know where it is, how do you claim credit for "finding" it if you chose the place to hide it.

I was going to have my husband find mine so he could retrieve a TB to move to an event, My brother told me that was WEAK!!!! and that he could just GRAB IT to move on. So that's what he did, but just finding it for the score, is kind of WEAK!
    Opalsns

It depends whether you consider it a find, or a log. Personally I think it muddies up the numbers too much if the couple share a user name, but if he has his own user name, insider information shouldn't be a deal-breaker except for FTF.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Unhappy I don't think much of it

I don't know of any cachers that have logged their own cache as a find and I think it is "tacky" to do so.
    I have seen cachers visit a cache to find it and then later come back, sometimes several times, to drop a bug and list each as a find. I chalk this up to inexperience.
    I have seen cachers attend an "event" that has temporary caches that were placed for them to find as fun while there and they have logged each of them as an "attended" on the event pace. Some as many as 10 times.

It seems as though it is all up to the mindset of the individual. Most of us are content with finding caches placed by others or hiding them. We don't need to find our own.

It's not all about the numbers, or is it?

A house is not a home without a cat.

I'm Opalsns and he's BubbaBass, but like I said, He didn't claim it as a find, he just GRABBED a TB to Move on!!!
    I am always adding TBs to my cache, one at a time.But I don't claim them as finds only write notes. I only put one at a time because I've read logs where cachers took 2 or 3 TBs and left dental floss and a kitty bracelet. Please! I think that's sad!!!
    But to get on track, I agree with Dan,we shouldn't claim our own.
    Opalsns

The first thing I learned way back when was that there are no rules. So technically a cache hider can claim their hide if they want to.

But, as a practice it is generally frowned upon and not encouraged. There are several different threads on the GC.Com forums that address the very issue.

I think the best way to deal with it is to speak to the cacher (who by the way is kind of not far from just starting out) and a simple explanation or discussion would bring about an understanding of accepted practices and while this practice is not "Wrong", it is not a common practice.

Thats my 2cents worth on this one.
    I'd really rather not cache, but I am helpless in the grip of my compulsion!

I wouldn't do it, but could care less if anyone else did. Just MVHO.

I have read logs of cachers finding their own cache while doing maintenance. I thought it odd.
    I have read the guide lines and the forums on GC.com and I guess some people do it and it can be done. In the end everyone gets something different out of caching, I guess I'm glad they took the time to hide a cache, but claiming a find on your own cache seems odd to me. my2c

Exclamation Sorry, but I'm saying it again....

This philosophy should also apply to events. If you host an event and then attend it, it is double dipping. You get a number in both columns. I am just stating my personal feelings here and what anyone else does is there own dang business. I myself host events and attend ones hosted by others. I know this subject has been discussed before. To each his own I reckon.
    Happy Trails!