Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Question for Sudonim

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default Question for Sudonim

    I read an interesting article where L.L. Bean has honored your father as a outdoor hero. In the article they had the attached photo and I was wondering if that was you or your brother?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lastscan.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	212.0 KB 
ID:	284  
    Blazing Troll

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    That's me
    I heard about this article somewhere else too. Where can I find it?

    Dad used to take me out hiking a lot. I went up Tumbledown for the first time when I was 2 years old, mostly on his shoulders. I kept him company on Saddleback many times when he was clearing his section of the AT. I can remember hiking across the saddle in the fog, seeing the old fire tower appear out of the mist. I also remember being on Saddleback Jr. and hearing heavy machine gun fire from the navy training facility near Reddington pond!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Solon, Maine
    Posts
    5,940

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Dad used to take me out hiking a lot. I went up Tumbledown for the first time when I was 2 years old, mostly on his shoulders. I kept him company on Saddleback many times when he was clearing his section of the AT. I can remember hiking across the saddle in the fog, seeing the old fire tower appear out of the mist. I also remember being on Saddleback Jr. and hearing heavy machine gun fire from the navy training facility near Reddington pond!
    Cherish those memories, they'll start to fade as you get older! LOL!

    My Dad tells me that I once accompanied him and a game warden when they went out to dynamite beaver dams. You'd think I'd remember that, but I don't! LOL!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Orrington, Maine
    Posts
    629

    Default

    Hey Andy....It's pretty interesting how those early days have imprinted you with the yearn to get outdoors, into the woods, and enjoy every minute you are out there. The only difference is that now you carry a GPS. I'll bet your dad would have loved having his own!!!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EMSDanel View Post
    Hey Andy....It's pretty interesting how those early days have imprinted you with the yearn to get outdoors, into the woods, and enjoy every minute you are out there. The only difference is that now you carry a GPS. I'll bet your dad would have loved having his own!!!
    He does. He laid out a trail system around Moosehead lake last year and they gave him a 60CSx for his troubles

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bangor, ME
    Posts
    3,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    That's me
    I heard about this article somewhere else too. Where can I find it?

    Dad used to take me out hiking a lot. I went up Tumbledown for the first time when I was 2 years old, mostly on his shoulders. I kept him company on Saddleback many times when he was clearing his section of the AT. I can remember hiking across the saddle in the fog, seeing the old fire tower appear out of the mist. I also remember being on Saddleback Jr. and hearing heavy machine gun fire from the navy training facility near Reddington pond!
    Where was this article??? (and this may be a dumb question... but no one ever excused me of bein smat... but who was your dad?)


    Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    My Dad tells me that I once accompanied him and a game warden when they went out to dynamite beaver dams. You'd think I'd remember that, but I don't! LOL!
    Yeah, I remember those days, well.. there weren't any wardens around... and usually weren't any beaver dams either... but I remember those days back in... umm.. last year...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Brewer, Maine
    Posts
    1,808

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Where was this article??? (and this may be a dumb question... but no one ever excused me of bein smat... but who was your dad?)
    Dave Field. He was the national head of the AT for around 10 years and still has the same section of trail in western Maine that he cleared before I was born. He retired from UMO in '06, went to Lebanon to help them with a trail system and got caught in the fighting between Lebanon and Israel! Got out on a Marine helo. Some retirement He takes it a "little" slower now.

    I found the link.
    http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline...oorHeroes.html

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Gainesville, Georgia
    Posts
    3,875

    Default

    Hey thats cool Andy, you must be so proud of him and his accomplishments.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

    The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Bangor, Maine
    Posts
    753

    Thumbs up neat connections

    This is really neat, Andy, thanks for sharing, attroll!

    Someone mentioned in another forum about adding a "get to know the cachers" topic in the Newsletter...while that would require a lot of work to be objective and inclusive, having threads like this that shed some light on our backgrounds can be highlighted in the Newsletter and is a great way to better get to know one another. ...so don't be shy in sharing your story!
    "Given a chance, a child will bring the confusion of the world to the woods, wash it in the creek, turn it over to see what lives on the unseen side of that confusion." --Richard Louv, Last Child in the Woods

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Litchfield, Maine
    Posts
    3,589

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    Dave Field. He was the national head of the AT for around 10 years and still has the same section of trail in western Maine that he cleared before I was born. He retired from UMO in '06, went to Lebanon to help them with a trail system and got caught in the fighting between Lebanon and Israel! Got out on a Marine helo. Some retirement He takes it a "little" slower now.

    I found the link.
    http://www.llbean.com/outdoorsOnline...oorHeroes.html
    Andy, I can not get to the link you provided, the LL Bean web site must be down right now but that was not the place where I read about it. I was in the magazine that gets put out by the ATC . There was an article about it in there. The magazine is called AT Journeys.
    Blazing Troll

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •