vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bad encounters

d’76 Guest

Default Bad encounters

Ok.... so it is evident that the cache and carry thread was a loss.

Since we live in Maine it is obivious that nothing bad ever happens. I watch the news and read the paper on a daily basis. I never read or see bad things happening to good people.

So here I want for people to talk about some of the things that have happened to them that scared them, not just caching but anything outdoors that scared you. I dont mean funny stuff like seeing Hiram in a pokadot thong. I mean things that posed a potential threat. I will start off because I was asked in the thread , it should be brought to our attention.

THe cache that I was talking about was GCWMFE Little Falls Cache. Sudonim and I have talk about what has happened and realised that it could happen at any cache. The cache is a beautiful little spot in eastern rural Maine. Connie and I where out trying to clear a few maps for the delorme challenge. We had been caching all day and found ourself about 2 hours from there and decided that we needed to go do this cache but it would be well after dark before we got there. So thats what we decided. I mean comeon who hasnt cached at night. I mean thats part of the fun. It was warm that night and was driving in to the spot with the windows down. Anyone that has ever done this cache realises that it is a bit of a drive down a dirt road. We got to within about 600 ft of the cache and stopped when we got to the spot where the cache was right off our left straight through the woods. Not knowing that area very well we didnt know where to park and so on. We drove just a bit farther in. You have to go over a little hill to get to the parking area, when our headlights cleared the hill and we started down the other side all the lights at the campsite went out and people scattered like cockroaches. After just a moment of silence and Connie and I where trying to figure out what just happened a flash and a shot rung out and went flying by the car and branches where breaking as the bullet went past the car. To make a long story short we got the #*&% out of there. Well needless to say that cache is still 2 hours from Lincoln. The closest PD that we knew about. Stopped by the pd and reported it. They said one of two things happened the officer said. One we either came across a meth lab or a poaching ring. Both are common in that community.

ANd there are other times I will share as the thread progresses

Double post - sorry!
    Last edited by hollora; 03-28-2008 at 12:26 PM. Reason: Got it in there twice - sorry!

To add to what Dave said:
    He called me one day and told me what happened. I wondered if I should shut down that cache, but after talking with Dave, I realized that it could be a one-time event, maybe a group of people meeting at a remote spot for a drug deal, or just underage drinking gotten out of hand. If I get another report like that, I will know that it is a bad spot.
    Most of the logs I get from that cache, first "How the heck did you find this spot?"
    Then, "Pretty spot, thanks for showing it to me"
    Most (but not all) cache in the daytime, and it IS a park with picnic tables and parking by the river. Remote, but a public spot.
    Again, I enjoyed the location, others have said the same, but if I hear about another incident like the one Dave experienced, I will shut it down. I hope it was an isolated, one time event, the kind that could have happened at many of the caches we visit every month.

My creepy/scarry experience came about at GCHFBQ - Railroad Ramble Cache in Newcastle. Llast year, I had a coin which wanted to make it to that cache. On my way back from Portland I took a diversionary route so I could drop off the coin. It was easy to find the entrance to the trail system. Nothing seemed out of order – down a dirt road off a tarred road and a nice little kiosk, sign in book (maps missing but that’s not unusual at the end of the season). No other cars – but that too – didn’t seem a problem. Established trails which went down towards a view of the water, etc. So off I took. Left the car locked and things in the car covered. I was gone about 1 hour and on returning back towards the car – heard voices in the parking lot – again – no alarms yet – until I exited the trails to where I could view the parking lot. I was preparing to sign out on the trail log – and also taking in the scene…….two, shady looking long haired, tattooed fellows………I was so freaked. I didn’t even hear what they were saying but they clearly were not there to walk the trails………….I said to self, self – use confidence – go sign the log, get your hands on your car keys, remember your RAD training, unlock your car and leave – pronto! As I was signing out on the log, I dropped the top to my pen and never even bothered to pick it up. I just rushed, unlocked the door and was about to leave when another car came down the road and clearly was going to join them. I was in the parking space so the car drove by as they exchanged waves with the folks already in the lot. I backed out and left. It was the creepiest and worse feeling I have ever had caching. It also taught me ~ when going to strange areas it’s probably best to go as 2 fers not alone. JMHO

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    To add to what Dave said:
    He called me one day and told me what happened. I wondered if I should shut down that cache, but after talking with Dave, I realized that it could be a one-time event, maybe a group of people meeting at a remote spot for a drug deal, or just underage drinking gotten out of hand. If I get another report like that, I will know that it is a bad spot.
    Most of the logs I get from that cache, first "How the heck did you find this spot?"
    Then, "Pretty spot, thanks for showing it to me"
    Most (but not all) cache in the daytime, and it IS a park with picnic tables and parking by the river. Remote, but a public spot.
    Again, I enjoyed the location, others have said the same, but if I hear about another incident like the one Dave experienced, I will shut it down. I hope it was an isolated, one time event, the kind that could have happened at many of the caches we visit every month.
    Cache Maine and I did this cache in the daytime ~ during hunting season. We did not experience anything creepy. And there were folks further down in the parking area on our return from finding the cache. We had parked up by the "conveniences". This is a public area and I think camping is even allowed.

The down side was, had something happened, we had not cell phone service - but hey, that happens in a lot of areas here in Maine.

Unless someone is a "local", if we are placing caches in areas new to us - but beautiful, public and a place we just want to share - it is sometimes hard to know the ins and outs of "goings on" which may not be kosher. Being responsive to concerns posted by cachers is important. It sounds like Sudonim is willing to take steps if necessary. Hopefully, Dave's experience was isolated. And I hope the one I just described was too.

d’76 Guest

I was behind the Hannaford in Old Town by the Elementary school in the early ninties afterdark calling deer to get better at it for hunting season The deer split quick fast and in a hurry and thought that particular call was not going to work for hunting. A minute or two later I saw what I thought was another deer so began bleeting again. It kept coming closer and closer till I was so excited thinking I had found the perfect call sequence. As it got closer I could make out the silouette. It wasnt a deer at all. It was a bear coming in for a snack. We did the worst thing possible and that was RUN!! The bear gingerly followed until we where almost to the Hannaford. That was much scarier then being shot at.

I did the original Lead Mtn. Golden Cache (GC8A26) by Team Dakota & Cheyenne (3/4) at the end of November in 2002. It was 12° out, not a lot of snow, but the trail up was icy and slippery. It was one of those days when you're in the woods alone and everything is so quiet you feel like you're the only one left on the planet.

I was working my way up slowly and quietly when all of a sudden there was a loud thrashing that I could tell was very close. I ducked behind the closest tree just in time to see a Bull Moose pass by me at full speed, no more than 10 feet from me. I imagine he was as startled as I was and never saw me. He ran through the woods, knocking down small trees along the way. I could hear him running for 30 seconds or more. Could have been a bad situation had I been in his path!
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

The date was January 2004. I had not been caching long. Maybe just over a month. :? I decided to tackle a Chris&Cindy cache called “Dirty Little Cache.” It was described as being very small...so small that it didn’t have a log in it, just an object that you had to identify. I got my GPSr and headed out determined to locate this elusive cache. :rambo:

I got to the area of the cache, which was not far form the nearest parking. My car was probably 20 feet away. I searched by a fence and on top of a hill for at least an hour. There was a light mist the entire time I was searching. I looked EVERYWHERE for this cache. You know...under every piece of paper, soda can, rock, twigs, etc. I searched all along the fence, in the nearby tree, around the hill...you get the picture, right? Well, I finally got so frustrated that I just decided to leave and come back another day. :cry:

That night, I couldn’t sleep due to thinking about that cache. I kept going over the cache description in my mind. Over and over and...well, you get the idea. Finally, I remembered something that I thought I could find useful. :idea: I just knew it had to be on the fence. I told myself that I was going back the next day.

The rain hit and it rained until almost noon. I was finally able to get back out and attempt that... cache. I drove up to my little parking spot that I had the day before and began my search. All of the sudden, I saw something that I had not seen the day before. It was orange(it was just an orange newspaper bag...you know...to keep the paper dry as it sits out in your driveway after they deliver it?). As I walked toward this orange thing, that I know was not there the day before, I saw that there were rocks piled on top of the object. I thought, how did I miss this yesterday? I KNOW I didn’t. This was a new object. Maybe Chris&Cindy decided to make their cache a little bigger. I went and grabbed the bag. Since my car was so close, I decided to take the cache and sign the log in the car.

While sitting in my car, about to open the cache, my cell phone rang. I answered the phone as I was reaching into the bag. My friend on the other line said the thing that most of my friends say, which was “Are you out in the woods somewhere?” “No” I replied, “but I did just find a cache.” All of the sudden, I pulled a hundred dollar bill out of the bag. :money: I told my friend that I just found $100.00. She said “What?” Then, I pulled another hundred dollar bill out of the bag. :yikes: OK, now I was worried. Did someone rob a store? I got nervous. I shut my car door and drove away with the bag still sitting on my lap! After driving a couple blocks, I stopped and performed a more thorough search of the bag. It had little packets of white powder with green dollar signs on the outside of the baggies. :yikes: At this point, I could make this story really long and make myself sound like the geek that I am but I will just say that I drove the bag to the police station around the corner (making sure I didn’t go 1 mph over the speed limit). Turns out, there was $200.00, 32 baggies of coke, and an eight ball of coke in the bag. :eek2:

Trying to explain how I found the stash to the officers was quite comical. One police officer even held my GPSr and said “You can actually find drugs and money with this?”...Duh!

Before anyone even asks, NO I didn’t keep the money.

So, did you go back and find the cache??? (I know you found the CASH )

Quote Originally Posted by chibongo View Post
    The date was January 2004. I had not been caching long. Maybe just over a month. :? I decided to tackle a Chris&Cindy cache called “Dirty Little Cache.” It was described as being very small...so small that it didn’t have a log in it, just an object that you had to identify. I got my GPSr and headed out determined to locate this elusive cache. :rambo:

I got to the area of the cache, which was not far form the nearest parking. My car was probably 20 feet away. I searched by a fence and on top of a hill for at least an hour. There was a light mist the entire time I was searching. I looked EVERYWHERE for this cache. You know...under every piece of paper, soda can, rock, twigs, etc. I searched all along the fence, in the nearby tree, around the hill...you get the picture, right? Well, I finally got so frustrated that I just decided to leave and come back another day. :cry:

That night, I couldn’t sleep due to thinking about that cache. I kept going over the cache description in my mind. Over and over and...well, you get the idea. Finally, I remembered something that I thought I could find useful. :idea: I just knew it had to be on the fence. I told myself that I was going back the next day.

The rain hit and it rained until almost noon. I was finally able to get back out and attempt that... cache. I drove up to my little parking spot that I had the day before and began my search. All of the sudden, I saw something that I had not seen the day before. It was orange(it was just an orange newspaper bag...you know...to keep the paper dry as it sits out in your driveway after they deliver it?). As I walked toward this orange thing, that I know was not there the day before, I saw that there were rocks piled on top of the object. I thought, how did I miss this yesterday? I KNOW I didn’t. This was a new object. Maybe Chris&Cindy decided to make their cache a little bigger. I went and grabbed the bag. Since my car was so close, I decided to take the cache and sign the log in the car.

While sitting in my car, about to open the cache, my cell phone rang. I answered the phone as I was reaching into the bag. My friend on the other line said the thing that most of my friends say, which was “Are you out in the woods somewhere?” “No” I replied, “but I did just find a cache.” All of the sudden, I pulled a hundred dollar bill out of the bag. :money: I told my friend that I just found $100.00. She said “What?” Then, I pulled another hundred dollar bill out of the bag. :yikes: OK, now I was worried. Did someone rob a store? I got nervous. I shut my car door and drove away with the bag still sitting on my lap! After driving a couple blocks, I stopped and performed a more thorough search of the bag. It had little packets of white powder with green dollar signs on the outside of the baggies. :yikes: At this point, I could make this story really long and make myself sound like the geek that I am but I will just say that I drove the bag to the police station around the corner (making sure I didn’t go 1 mph over the speed limit). Turns out, there was $200.00, 32 baggies of coke, and an eight ball of coke in the bag. :eek2:

Trying to explain how I found the stash to the officers was quite comical. One police officer even held my GPSr and said “You can actually find drugs and money with this?”...Duh!

Before anyone even asks, NO I didn’t keep the money.

It's a good thing you didn't pick it up when the other people were supposed to find it came to look for it!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.