vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: another GSAK question

Post another GSAK question

Ok,here's another one. I have both my found and unfound Maine caches listed in GSAK. So how do I just load my unfound caches into my GPS? When I go to GPS at the top,it says send waypoints but I don't want all of them ,just my unfound ones. I know there must be a way to isolate them but need some instruction as to how to do it. Thanks again to whomever can give me the answer. Haffy6
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Use a filter.

Click on "search/Filter" and set your parameters.

Then you can save a file of your unfound caches.

Actually I don't think you need to save it. Just filter for "unfound caches" and send to the GPS. If you only want a few. Set the distance around the area you want in the search too. I do this all the time to only upload those in the area I am going to. Works great.

A house is not a home without a cat.

Haffy & I discussed this in private mail, and he's still having problems - it just isn't working for him.

And you do need to save the filter for subsequent use. Saving doesn't save the file of waypoints, it just saves the parameters for the search.

In GSAK you:

1. click on search
    2. click on filter
    3. the fifth line down is the found not found line. unclick found and have only unfound clicked
    4. you will get a list of all caches not found centered on your home coords.

To set home coordinates:

take a gpsr reading of your home location.

Click on the tools heading

Click on options

Click on the locations tab

Enter your lat and lon in place of the example there being sure to remove the # at the beginning of the line.

You also need to create a line in your database of caches named Home. You can then set that as the centerpoint.

Drop me a note and we can talk you through it on the phone if it still gives you trouble.

Thanks Gob-ler, that was back in March, I've since got it figured out.Now if you knew how to do caches along a route? That's a different story.

Arrow Route Filters 101

Haffy:

Caches along a route is relatively easy. First thing you need is a list of the coordinates of waypoints along your route. If you are travelling the highway, just use enough points to approximate the shape of the road. In GSAK, do Search, Filter, Arc/Poly and enter these coordinates, one per line, in the dialog box. So if I created a 4-point route from Wells to Biddeford along I-95, I would have:
    43.32324,-70.60858
    43.41325,-70.61096
    43.46185,-70.61225
    43.48202,-70.61278
    Leave "Filter Type" set to Arc/Line. In the "Distance in Miles" box, input how far away from the road you want to search. I had to put 4 miles before I got any results in my search. Click "Go" to perform the search and narrow the list of caches to the ones near the route.

I believe you can have several routes by saving your filters. So you could have a route for a trip north to your camp or a trip south to visit relatives. I have not played with the Polygon and Point types, but I imagine they work in a similar fashion.

Note that when I use USAPhotoMaps to create my route, the coordinates are output in UTM format. To convert them to Lat/Lon, I modified an Excel spreadsheet I found online. If you are mapping your route in a different program, it may be able to give you Lat/Lon without the extra hassle.

Thanks Glen not sure I can understand what you are saying but maybe it will help someone. I am not very computer savvy but maybe I can figure it out with what you gave me. I am more of a hands on type of learner,show me how and I will copy it so to speak. GSAk has so much to offer I just wish I could understand it better.

Default gsak

i think i will try the route thing when my head stops spinning from just reading that post, cache'n jacksons thanks for the info! i know that gsak will allow me to do a lot of different things, i just have to figure them out i don't have a ton of patience lol
    "life is short...make a mess of it!"

There's an easier way. On the GSAK page click the user flag boxes for the caches that are on the route you are taking. On the filter - arc/poly screen there's a button to add user flagged. That way you don't have to type in any numbers. Then enter a distance. If the road is straight you only have to check two points. If not, put one every time the road turns. If there isn't a cache where the road turns enter a waypoint.
    We did this on our trip to Texas and we made a lot of waypoints in the middle of the road, at every major bend. We then set the distance at 2 miles and got every cache within 2 miles on our route.