vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: another GSAK question

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    Actually I got notification thatthere's a new (2006) version of Delorme's Street Atlas out. Why doesn't someone buy it and give us a review! LOL!
    I wouldn't waist my money on that. Get Delorme Topo.
    Blazing Troll

Quote Originally Posted by attroll
    I wouldn't waist my money on that. Get Delorme Topo.
    Actually, I have both Street Atlas and Topo, and they both have their uses, especially since Topo DOES NOT include Canada.

I'll upgrade both eventually, but I want someone else to test the water and see if the 2006 version is enough of an upgrade to warrant the cost! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by EGSG
    There's an easier way. On the GSAK page click the user flag boxes for the caches that are on the route you are taking. On the filter - arc/poly screen there's a button to add user flagged. That way you don't have to type in any numbers. Then enter a distance. If the road is straight you only have to check two points. If not, put one every time the road turns. If there isn't a cache where the road turns enter a waypoint.
    OK - I've figured this out. (We're planning a trip to Illinois next month - via Canada - and we want to do some caching on the way.)

1. I did a pocket query (PQ) for a section of the route, loaded it into GSAK, and exported it to Street Atlas as a draw file to show the caches in relation to the route we've planned.

2. I picked 6 caches along the route, flagged the in GSAK and did the filter as EGSG stated, using a 2-mile distance, then saved the resulting file (in this case, 81 caches out of the original 500 downloaded in the PQ.) I kept these caches in GSAK and deleted the rest.

3. I then deleted the original draw file on Street Atlas, loaded the new file, and VOILA - the map now shows all the caches within 2 miles of a 100 mile section of our route. I'll repeat this along the rest of the route.

4. When I have the route completed, I'll have a GSAK file that I can export to the PDA and GPSr, and a draw file that I can display on Street Atlas. I'll update my data just before the trip, but the PQ's and GSAK filters will already be set up, making it easy.

5. COOL AS A MOOSE!

Thanks, EGSG!

I am a NEWBIE. My question is very elementary. I just got a Garmin GPSmap 60 CS........I didn't know what GSAK was and I am trying to figure out pocket queries and how they can be useful. This is like learning a new language. I was using easy GPS (I think that is what is is) to load prior to using GSAK for the first time just last night so.......here is the question..............is the text explaining the cache able to be put into the GPS or do I need a PDA or lap top ( I have neither) that is why I am asking. Thanks for helping me out. Someday I will understand this thread of conversation, but right now.........???!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by covefarm
    I am a NEWBIE. My question is very elementary. I just got a Garmin GPSmap 60 CS........I didn't know what GSAK was and I am trying to figure out pocket queries and how they can be useful. This is like learning a new language. I was using easy GPS (I think that is what is is) to load prior to using GSAK for the first time just last night so.......here is the question..............is the text explaining the cache able to be put into the GPS or do I need a PDA or lap top ( I have neither) that is why I am asking. Thanks for helping me out. Someday I will understand this thread of conversation, but right now.........???!!!!!
    All you get in your GPS is the waypoint - no text/logs/etc.

GSAK has all the info on your computer, but you need a PDA running Cachemate (for example), or a laptop, to carry text, logs, etc., with you.
    Otherwise it's paper printouts.

Be at the event this weekend and there'll be several people who can show you the "toys" they have and how they work.

Thanks so much. I figured as much, but I am learning new things everyday so it is exciting. I am crossing my fingers that I can be there this weekend. Barbara