Cache Hiding Tips
It’s spring and I’m sure many of you are thinking of placing caches as soon as the snow melts. Due to a few recent events, outside of Maine, I’d like to offer some cache hiding tips.
- Always mark the outside of your cache container, clearly identifying it as a Geocache. Groundspeak sells stickers that are ideal for this purpose. Sometimes, the stickers can even be found on eBay.
- Consider using clear containers, especially in urban areas.
- Consider the reactions that non-Geocachers will have when they see people searching for a cache, especially in urban areas.
- Always get permission before placing a cache, but also consider communicating with other land owners and users in the area.
- When searching for a cache, be aware of the other people watching you. Land owners, managers, officials and employees are not muggles. They have a right to know what you are doing. You may assume they know about the cache as every cache is placed with permission.
- If you find a cache or situation that may cause concern, please contact your reviewer or Groundspeak.
The following links provide more recommendations for hiding and seeking caches.
- If you know anyone in the law enforcement field, talk to them about Geocaching. Let them know there are Geocaches in their area.
Last edited by tat; 04-06-2008 at 05:33 PM.