vb:literal>

Thread: Have the rules changed????

Default Have the rules changed????

Hi All,
    I just have a quick question, Have the general rules of Geocaching changed?? When I started caching, my brother told me to follow the rules and read up on stuff if I'm not sure. Like ,Don't log your own cache as a find. If you take something ,leave something, Replace cache as you found it. etc.....
    I've been told that fellow cachers will take 2 or 3 TBs, "just so they don't get stuck", and then find that they leave TBs in Their own caches for months at a time. Some cachers take things and leave nothing so that the caches are basically stripped. Now The moss issue. So many different views right up to... "I'm sure someone will want a nice piece of moss"""
    So , again ,I got to the FAQ page of geocaching and find this, one of many, !!!
    Tips on hiding your first cache Hiding Your First Geocache Step 1 - Research a cache location

Geocaching is just like real estate - location, location, location! When thinking about where to place a cache, keep these things in mind:
    • Will it be on private or public land? - If you place it on private land, please ask permission before putting it there! If you place the cache on public lands you need to contact the managing agency to find out about their rules. You will be in violation of federal regulation by placing a cache in any area administered by the National Park Service (US). The National Park regulations are intended to protect the fragile environment, and historical and cultural areas found in the parks.
    • Does it meet requirements to be listed on the site? - Make sure to review the guidelines for listing a geocache on this web site during your research.
    You are ultimately responsible for the cache so make sure you know the rules for the area where your cache is being placed.
    Ultimately you'll want to place a cache in a place that is unique in some way. The big reward for geocachers, other than finding the cache itself, is the location. A prime camping spot, great viewpoint, unusual location, etc. are all good places to hide a cache.
    Note: Please be respectful of the areas you are thinking about placing the cache. For example, if it's the location of the spotted owl, or off-trail with delicate ground cover, keep in mind that others will be walking in these areas.
    Please do not place caches on archaeological or historical sites. In most cases these areas are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans. If you find a cache in one of these areas please remove it and replace it a safe enough distance from the site to ensure that the site will not be impacted by people searching for the cache and unknowingly traveling over or through a site.

So honestly and without it turning into a HEATED discussion,....
    Have the rules changed?
    Should we just ignore what it was all about and just do what we want???
    If someone asked to fill in my Marsh and I say sure, Does that make it OK??
    Just Curious,
    Opalsns

d’76 Guest

After following the thread as this was dirived from I think that the conclusion was drawn that Al'thor wasnt going to place a cache there, however the link was given to provide an oppurtunity to get permission and see what the scoop is.

And no the rules havent changed

Thanx Dave,
    I appreciate not getting scolded for being rediculous. But I'm serious about making sure I go by the books. I love this Game / sport / hobby and the people I've met are very cool.
    Glad to see you feeling better!!!
    Opalsns

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Thanx Dave,
    I appreciate not getting scolded for being rediculous. But I'm serious about making sure I go by the books. I love this Game / sport / hobby and the people I've met are very cool.
    Glad to see you feeling better!!!
    Opalsns
    Not in the clear just yet, still a few things need to be taken care of.

I did not intend for the moss to become an "issue". I certainly am not going to go pulling up moss on someone else's property nor do I think any cacher would. I was mostly just interested in thoughts and ideas on a way to tell this story with out destroying anything. It is a really cool story and I wanted to tell it. No one even suggested that I just simply rip up the moss and no one suggested that I break "the rules". I am going to look into this further and follow "the rules" where ever they may take me. Thanks for your concern.

Quote Originally Posted by al'Thor View Post
    I did not intend for the moss to become an "issue".
    It's great that these subjects come up before they physically occur. While we all have our opinions, most people can be much more rational when they are discussing future situations than they do with past situations.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

Quote Originally Posted by brdad View Post
    It's great that these subjects come up before they physically occur. While we all have our opinions, most people can be much more rational when they are discussing future situations than they do with past situations.
    Well said Dave. I've had many of my opinions changed by the rational thoughts of others.