vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Want to go along?

Default Want to go along?

I'm going to be spending a day geocaching in Portland on Wednesday, Mar 16.

Anyone in that area want to go along? I'll be picking up RULOST2? at the airport that night, so I can drive for the day and would welcome a local guide for FAST AND EASY caches. I'll buy lunch...

We can emphasize caches you haven't logged - willing to go further south if you want.

Hello WhereRWe! : )

I'd love to give you a tour of the Portland area but I have to work on Wednesday... Had it been a Tuesday, I would have been happy to earn myself a lunch.

If you're not able to find a guide by then, I've selected a few caches for you that are in the immediate area. I've chosen these five based on your criteria but also on the fact that I know that these are all very winter friendly. I've cached the entire Portland area and also have my hides in this area as well. If you should decide to broaden your scope, I might suggest a trip south as there are some good ones down that way as well. Let me know you might want additions to the list, a different criteria or a different area to look in.

Jetport Travel Bug Hotel by Bluegrass Gyrl (GCJHNB)

Monkezuma's Revenge by GeoMaine (GCMZBY)

My-cousin-in-Portland by Something Els, Anne & Zuurtje (GCM32K)

Monkey See, Monkey Do by Jeff Kingston & Family (Adopted by GeoMaine)

A Peaceful Read by Beach Comber (GCJPFN) - a very nice hide but may be a slight challenge in the winter. I recommended this one because it's a good find and you might find yourself already in the immediate area with MonSe Mondo.

If you should find yourself here in the summer, it's hard to go wrong with ANY of the area caches. With a near record snowfall this year, it's been a tough winter. : )

Red face ohhhhh - shux!

As much as I would love to be outside frolicking in the snow on Wednesday, I too, will be working.

I agree with the list of caches that GeoMaine has provided. Perhaps even add a couple more ...... GeoMaine's newest (Onkgre) though I cannot speak with experience from having done it since I haven't even figured out the puzzle yet - LOL. Others have found it so perhaps you should add it to the list - it is not too far from Monkey See, Monkey Do and Peaceful Read. The only other one that I can think of Payson Park by the Boulevard.

I'm not sure any of these will be easy though given the amount of snow we got this week - ugh!!!

Have fun!!!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Thanks for the help! I've already figured out the coordinates for Geomaine's cahce (I think...), and will probably try that first. Then the others...

How much snow do you have down there now? When I was there on Tesday you only had a few inches. We got bout 6 inches in the latest storm - on top of the 2-3 feet already on the ground! We're having trouble finding places to put it...

Unhappy A bit different now perhaps!

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    How much snow do you have down there now? When I was there on Tesday you only had a few inches. We got bout 6 inches in the latest storm - on top of the 2-3 feet already on the ground! We're having trouble finding places to put it...
    Are you sure you were in Portland, MAINE? LOL We have lots of snow! You must have been lucky enough to have missed the storm Tuesday into Wednesday while you were in Portland on Tuesday - it must have started after you left. We got a foot or so. PLUS we got another foot or so Friday into yesterday.

Please, make the snow stop! It's making me insane! Well, ok, MORE insane!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

It was raining when I left Portland on Tuesday - got nasty as I got to Augusta - very slippery and traffic going 20 MPH. The normal 1 hour drive from augusta took 2 hours! LOL!

We got 1 1/2 feet in that storm, and I'm glad the one yesterday was a relative "bust".

Unhappy Yuck

It sounds as if it's going to be difficult for us next saturday. It's a good thing I'll have an experenced guide to the area. That is if your still willing We only got around 6 inches of wet stuff this time. IT HAS GOT TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!!
    Happy Trails!

Angry Snow in Portland

Couldn't think of a better way to explain the growth in snowbanks in Portland this week.
    Here is the link and comment for a picture of the snow at my house.
    Bruce - clearly things have changed since you were here on Tuesday! LOL
    Brad - you can check out the picture and see what you think. It's supposed to be fairly warm in the next bunch of days so we may get rid of a bunch of this blasted snow. Let's touch base toward the end of the week. Was going to wait until next year toget snowshoes - maybe I shouldn't wait - LOL!

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...t/last1/page/1
    ("An example of the snow in Portland. Almost put this under winter cachers - will need to use my GPS to find my house if the snow keeps falling!! Make it stop!")
    Last edited by Beach Comber; 03-13-2005 at 11:09 AM.
    ~ Beach Comber ~

OK - here's what the snow looks like in Solon:

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...cat/500/page/1

(Picture was a lot sharper before I had to shrink it to meet the size requirements)

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe?
    OK - here's what the snow looks like in Solon:

http://www.geocachingmaine.org/galle...cat/500/page/1

(Picture was a lot sharper before I had to shrink it to meet the size requirements)

Wow it is nice to know that you got a lot of snow we are leaving on our sleds next weekend from Solon to make a big loop to Rangeley, Jackman Greenville, Dover, Newport and back.
    Blazing Troll