vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Picture frame history

d’76 Guest

Default Picture frame history

I have only seen one other of these picture frames and that was at the Patten Lumbermans museam and they had very limited info on it. I know this one was hand craved in 1918 by a friend of mines grandfather. It is made of hundreds of small handcraved peices of wood. If anyone has any info one them it would be awesome. I have one now and want to know as much as I can about it. It is absolutley fasinating to look at. Here are the pic. If any of the history buffs have any info I would love to hear it. Thanks

Dave from the picture this looks to be what is commonly know as "Tramp Art". This was done mostly by "hobo's" who rode the rails as a way to make some extra money. It is very popular and can be as simple as small boxes to elaborate pieces. How big is your frame?

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Dave from the picture this looks to be what is commonly know as "Tramp Art". This was done mostly by "hobo's" who rode the rails as a way to make some extra money. It is very popular and can be as simple as small boxes to elaborate pieces. How big is your frame?

I think its about 18 by 24 inch

Wow Big frame. The one you saw at the museum was probably made by some logger who was living in a logging camp. Sailors, loggers, hobos all made this kind of art work. A lot of it was made from cigar boxes, old packing crates, etc. Some of it was gifts for the little woman. Maybe you could built something nice for Connie.

Danny Cross lives in Milford. He's a friend of mine and has done antiques for years. He would know for sure.

Vic is probably right. Looks like a tramp art frame to me. In good condition, with the right buyer - these can sell for good money. An antique print or old map would look real sharp in that frame.

Hey Dave here is a link to one similar to yours on Ebay.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ANTIQUE-HAND-MAD...QQcmdZViewItem

More info from tramp art web site
    http://www.folkartisans.com/sup/tramhist.html
    Another type of tramp art that was sometimes produced, but was not quite as popular as the traditional layering and chip carving, is oftentimes referred to as the "crown of thorns." It was made in a layered manner and was also constructed with cigar-box wood. In this style, the piece of wood was notched together in an interlocking and overlapping fashion the way a log cabin is built. As the pieces were interlocked, they were also layered and built up like vertebrae to form a star effect. Tramp art became a very popular art form because it allowed the tramp artisan to use the materials he had at hand to produce a great variety of things. Picture frames, gift and jewelry boxes, and full-size chests of drawers were created not only to fill his empty hours but so that they could be used as a gift for a friend, a barter for food or lodging, or an exchange for money. The tramp was likely to produce articles of a functional and practical nature, while the hobo whittled objects of art that were more whimsical

Here's a web site on how to make it
    Very cool
    http://www.tramp-art.com/crown_of_thorns_crafts.htm

d’76 Guest

Wow, Thanks guys. Thats great info. The one I have needs a bit of works. It looks like it may have been dropped at one time but I think I can repair it with no problem. The info you guys gave me has been very helpful. Thanks so much