vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: We Did It!

Default We Did It!

The kids and I FINALLY went Geocaching this morning with my Mom, my pregnant sister, and her 90-pound German Shepard. My oldest son (9) is a "natural" 'cacher! He took over the GPSr and found the caches in seconds once we "arrived at our destination". We attempted 2 and found 2. The kids were SSSSooOOOOoo excited and wanted to do more, but we were out-of-time. Hopefully we'll get 2 more in tomorrow!

Way Cool!! Welcome to the addiction that has no bad side effects. Enjoy and feel free to ask questions in these forums. There is a wealth of information here!!

Cache On!!

Congrats! May you find many more and they get more enjoyable as you go.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

We found 2 more today! 1 stumped us a little bit and the kids were asking about the clue, but I told them to keep looking and sure enough a few minutes later my oldest son found it. Our GPSr was a little off. I think it was the thick tree canopy...Anyway, we succeeded! LOL

Between the 2 caches today we walk 2 miles! I suppose that doesn't sound a lot to some of you, but sheesh! I'm not used to that! LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    We found 2 more today! 1 stumped us a little bit and the kids were asking about the clue, but I told them to keep looking and sure enough a few minutes later my oldest son found it. Our GPSr was a little off. I think it was the thick tree canopy...Anyway, we succeeded! LOL

Between the 2 caches today we walk 2 miles! I suppose that doesn't sound a lot to some of you, but sheesh! I'm not used to that! LOL
    Congrats . . . consider yourself hooked . . . well a little bit hooked.

Be aware that the GPSr readings may get you close, but may not bring you spot on to the cache . . . remember it has to do not only with your GPSr readings, but also the GPSr readings of the hider. In general I've often found that for some reason I can get good signals outdoors in just about everything . . . except for hemlock groves . . . maybe it's just me though!

As for two miles . . . not bad . . . not bad at all considering the plethora of GRCs and LPCs that have flourished in the State of Maine.

Finally, you refused to give them a clue . . . geez, that's one of the first things I look for and even then I have a hard time finding the cache sometimes . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Heck, 2 miles is nothing and FFJ does make a valid point. Accuracy is also dependent on the cache poster. On some of FFJ's caches my Garmin and his Magellan have been differing by several miles.....LOL. Actually one was in a different town than where his original coordinates sent me. I will say I think there was Hemlocks in that town though...

On a more serious note, 2 miles is a nice jaunt and when walking that distance while Geocaching it is almost always rewarding at the final destination. Now you are ready for Round Top and Gimme Shelter and Tumbledown Challenge and a great many others!!!!

Cache On!!!!

I thought you were a professional cacher, Firefighter Jake! Don't use those clues unless you're really really really really really stumped! LOL

Um, what's GRC and LPC mean?

We've found all 4 without clues. I hadn't quite solved the clue to the first one today that wasn't where we expected before Jake found it. Jake definitely has a "cache sense" and seems to find them quickly. He says that he sees things that don't look "natural" and that helps him.

Well, after all that hiking we did find a signature item and we were extra excited about that. We need to get our item ordered and ready now that we're doing this!

Thanks for the GPS accuracy info. I knew that they could be off a little so that's what I told the kids. We focused all looking AROUND the area instead. All other 3 caches were right on though.

GRC= Guard Rail cache
    LPC=Lamp Post Cache

I think a search in the forums may turn up a list of anacronyms..

Cache On!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I thought you were a professional cacher, Firefighter Jake! Don't use those clues unless you're really really really really really stumped! LOL

Um, what's GRC and LPC mean?

We've found all 4 without clues. I hadn't quite solved the clue to the first one today that wasn't where we expected before Jake found it. Jake definitely has a "cache sense" and seems to find them quickly. He says that he sees things that don't look "natural" and that helps him.

Well, after all that hiking we did find a signature item and we were extra excited about that. We need to get our item ordered and ready now that we're doing this!

Thanks for the GPS accuracy info. I knew that they could be off a little so that's what I told the kids. We focused all looking AROUND the area instead. All other 3 caches were right on though.

(Gaurd Rail Cache & Lamp Post Cache)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Congrats! I'm also a newb so I can relate to your excitement. It's definitely addicting.