vb:literal>

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette for Signature Items

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    . . .
    We did notice that some of the items in the caches weren't of, um, "value" and wondered why anyone would put something like that in there. Is there a reason why metal bottlecaps are in them? Am I missing something there? LOL
    . . .
    YOU FOUND A METAL BOTTLECAP!!! I've been looking all over for one of those . . . along with a piece of broken glass, non-descript rock and an old air freshener!

On a serious note . . . ah, the great question . . . why would anyone feel compelled to drop in some of these questionable items??? Who knows? I don't know if people just feel compelled to put something, anything in the cache if and when they take anything (because I honestly don't think most folks consider dropping in a rock they found along the trail as an equal trade for a $1 bill . . . and if they do consider that a good trade I have several pieces of junk . . . I mean valuables . . . hanging around my house that I would love to sell to them at a very, very special deal )

All I can say is that I try to maintain my caches and when I spy junk I pull it out . . . and for my part I try to leave things in caches (regardless of whether I trade or not) that I think others might like . . . or at least would not view as junk. Items in clean baggies or self-enclosed wrapping are always nice . . . I mean finding a new set of corn cob holders is great . . . but finding those same corn cob holders rusting away at the bottom of a cache and not knowing if those were once used by someone is not so great.

In general I like to see tradeables that are either in their original wrapping or in a quality Ziplock-type plastic bag . . . if an item is used it should be clean and in good condition. To me even clean items that are just placed in a cache can get dirty pretty quickly . . . which is why the books, stuffed animals and even pencils with eraser tops that I sometimes place in caches are typically in plastic bags.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel one of the best ways to keep geocaches from being geo-junk is by trying to do the right thing and set an example . . . if folks see clean caches with items that are packaged and there is no junk they will come to believe that this is the way a cache should be . . . but if they see caches that are dirty, full of junk and have mildewing stuffed animals then they will come to believe that this is the way a typical cache should be.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Oh, man! We missed a signature item this morning! Grrr! Now we'll have to walk the 1 mile to it in the mud to get it! LOL I just looked at the links posted and saw that the one we were questioning WAS a sig item! We could've gotten 3 out of one cache this morning! (We have 4 altogher now.)

I'm trying to keep the Lego kits under $2, but you're right the costs can add up. We've done 6 caches in 3 days. 5 were ammos and could hold a sig item. We would've spent $10 in kids just this week! (And my son wants to do 100 caches this year! LOL)

Or we could just leave a sig item when we find one...or chose something else. Jake really wanted to do this though. We don't have much money - besides the GPS - into this hobby. Argh! LOL

Oh! Good point! I didn't put any of our cute crafts in baggies, but I think I will after this. They're wooden and painted and some have foam pieces and pompoms and wiggly eyes. They'll "survive" better in baggies to protect them. I didn't really think about that...and not having been to any caches until the last 3 days I wasn't even sure what others put in them.

(Oops! I should've reread my last post....NOT $10 in KIDS....$10 in KITS. LOL)

Quote Originally Posted by Maine-iac_Mom View Post
    . . .
    (Oops! I should've reread my last post....NOT $10 in KIDS....$10 in KITS. LOL)
    I was wondering what the going price on kids was these days . . . you know with the whole cost of living price increases . . . and now I know.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

LOL MY kids were interupting me as I was typing that. They wanted wanted Freez-Pops. LOL

hmm, The lest time I tired to sell my kid it was going to cost me too much.... But then she was a teen. From my experience the older they are the more they cost and more costly they are to get rid off..... I am just wondering if I will ever get anything back on the investment.

$ 10 kids Wooo Hooo, Where can I get one???LOL!!!!!
    I agree with FireFighterJake, I try to put cool things of good quality but not too much cost in my caches. It erks me when someone will clean out the cache and leave a nickle or penny or those dime store dinasoars. I clean the junk out too. Then I refill.
    I would much rather have a handmade signiture item from a child or adult or at least something that would make the next cacher say, "COOL"! This whole geocaching game was designed as a TREASURE HUNT !!!!
    COME TO CANAAN...7 caches within 2 miles of each other...still waiting for my ladder Jake!!!LOL!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    $ 10 kids Wooo Hooo, Where can I get one???LOL!!!!!
    I agree with the Fireman, I try to put cool things of good quality but not too much cost in my caches. It erks me when someone will clean out the cache and leave a nickle or penny or those dime store dinasoars. I clean the junk out too. Then I refill.
    I would much rather have a handmade signiture item from a child or adult or at least something that would make the next cacher say, "COOL"! This whole geocaching game was designed as a TREASURE HUNT !!!!
    COME TO CANAAN...7 caches within 2 miles of each other...still waiting for my ladder Jake!!!LOL!!!!
    Opalsns
    HehHeh . . . I almost made it up your way this weekend Opalsns . . . going geocaching with Hiram and Medawislalalalalalala and we had some options . . . a trip to Vinalhaven and the mid-coast, a trip to Massachusetts to grab a map or two that we all need or a trip to Canaan and points north where you folks, Vicbiker and others have put out a slug of caches . . . in the end the trip to the sunny south won out . . . but there should be plenty of time between now and when the snow is deep enough to sled again.

P.S. We prefer the term firefighter . . . fireman is a dated term that actually was used for some time to refer to the person on a coal-powered locomotive that shoveled coal into the boiler . . . plus we have women as well as men on board . . . plus firefighter sounds a lot cooler and tougher sounding than fireman.

Ooops, Your right ,sorry,Firefighter. I think I like the term Hero as well!!! You guys and gals ROCK !!!!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    Ooops, Your right ,sorry,Firefighter. I think I like the term Hero as well!!! You guys and gals ROCK !!!!!!!
    Opalsns
    Hero doesn't work for me . . . it's just a career . . . or a hobby. Besides I've never done anything heroic.

The real heroes in this world are the ones who you never hear about . . . the folks who work day in and day out without any of the limelight or praise . . . electric line workers who come out day or night to get the power switched back on in the heat of summer after a thunderstorm or in middle of a snowstorm in January . . . teachers who have huge college bills, but work at a job that may not pay a lot but a job that gives that person the potential chance to change a person's life forever . . . carpenters who can craft true works of beauty that will last a lifetime of memories . . . the true heroes of the world are all around us . . . most folks just don't realize that they are heroes . . .

Thanks for the thought though.