vb:literal>

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Etiquette for Signature Items

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Hmmmm, but wouldn't you do just that under the right circumstances.

Therefore heroes aren't just firefighters or police officers. We are paid/volunteer to help resolve incidents that are abberant and require immediate/rapid resolution to reduce morbidity and mortality. For the most part, most of the heroics are done well before we arrive. Either mom and dad have evacuated children from a house fire or a passerby has placed his/her jacket on a victim in a bad car accident to keep them warm, then called 911. Or someone in a restaurant recognizes a victim choking and administers the Hiemlich Maneuver. FFJ is right, we get lots of the credit for the heroics but the heroes are the ones who are there when the incident happens THEN the spe******t are called in to apply our training and specialized equipment. The end result of any incident is directly proportional to how the incident was handled initially. If someone driving down the road saw a house on fire and decided the next person could call the fire department and the next person was 10-15 minutes behind the first, you can speculate how the incident has changed just in the first persons decision..and the second guy would still be a hero for calling in the fire and getting the spe******t on the way to deal with it...

Having specialized equipment to deal with fire incidents or car accidents only makes us spe******t like every other profession has their spe******t.

I'd like to think that us firefighters are heroes but I'd be more honored to be thought of as professional and good at my job.

These are hard thoughts to articulate because I know I am not a hero but a damn good firefighter and paramedic.
    You Are MARVELOUS, Darling!!!!!
    And don't you forget it!!!!and!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Opalsns

Default Sig item

When we leave a sig item it's free for the taking although we do trade if we take one. We carry a bag of swag, not necessarily for trading but for "cache enhancement" (I guess we're way past the age of needing a matchbox car or more play-doh). We also carry around spare zip lock bags, cheap mechanical pencils, and blank log books.

We (Preb) also carry insect repellant, Epi pen, water, tissues, spare batteries, bandaids, GPSr, PDA, Camera, leatherman... Poor Preb will tip over if I add more stuff to that back pack...
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Sometimes I leave two identical signature items as well, so that two different cachers get the opportunity to grab one.

Quote Originally Posted by pjpreb View Post
    When we leave a sig item it's free for the taking although we do trade if we take one. We carry a bag of swag, not necessarily for trading but for "cache enhancement" (I guess we're way past the age of needing a matchbox car or more play-doh). We also carry around spare zip lock bags, cheap mechanical pencils, and blank log books.

We (Preb) also carry insect repellant, Epi pen, water, tissues, spare batteries, bandaids, GPSr, PDA, Camera, leatherman...
    We're the same way - usually carrying a lot of junk (well, RULOST2? does - I'm busy navigating to the cache!) Although the caches seem to have gotten generally smaller in the last couple of years, a great many have lots of room for swag and we carry a big bag. What goes into a cache usually depends on what we take out.

Quote Originally Posted by WhereRWe? View Post
    . . . Although the caches seem to have gotten generally smaller in the last couple of years, a great many have lots of room for swag and we carry a big bag. . . .
    Ah yes, let us all pause for a moment and mourn the demise of the ammo can which seems to becoming an endangered species as the cheaper, smaller micros gain an evolutionary foothold as they prosper.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    Ah yes, let us all pause for a moment and mourn the demise of the ammo can which seems to becoming an endangered species as the cheaper, smaller micros gain an evolutionary foothold as they prosper.
    I agree with FIREFIGHTERJAKE,,
    Way too many micros out there for my liking.It's not so bad when they are ,park and grabs or lame micros, but putting a micro in the woods or forest or hiking area that are more hidden, stops someone from putting a TRADITIONAL, treasure hunt, cache in that area. It's a waste.
    Worldwide TREASURE HUNT! and
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    A good reason to start carrying smaller TB's! LOL! We've found 1 micro in Spain - a film can - but we did have 1 TB small enough to fit.

Quote Originally Posted by Opalsns View Post
    I agree with FIREFIGHTERJAKE,,
    Way too many micros out there for my liking.It's not so bad when they are ,park and grabs or lame micros, but putting a micro in the woods or forest or hiking area that are more hidden, stops someone from putting a TRADITIONAL, treasure hunt, cache in that area. It's a waste.
    Worldwide TREASURE HUNT! and
    Opalsns
    I couldn't disagree more, nothing I like more then a challenging in the woods micro. I was able to do some great ones in York County this past weekend. And that in a nutshell is what makes this sport so great. There is something for everyone, even Hiram who likes caches hidden in or near establishments that serve his favorite beer. FFJ is partial to beach caches where lots of monkeys hangout, not exactly sure why, but he gets great pleasure from taken their pictures. Where would Laughing Terry be today if it wasn't for those cleverly hidden micros?

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    I couldn't disagree more, nothing I like more then a challenging in the woods micro. I was able to do some great ones in York County this past weekend. And that in a nutshell is what makes this sport so great. There is something for everyone, even Hiram who likes caches hidden in or near establishments that serve his favorite beer. FFJ is partial to beach caches where lots of monkeys hangout, not exactly sure why, but he gets great pleasure from taken their pictures. Where would Laughing Terry be today if it wasn't for those cleverly hidden micros?
    Yeah but you can't fit a beer in a micro. And monkeys curl up nicely in an ammo box!!!!
    Opalsns

I don't post often but I should point out that GC.COM allows 25 (not including .5 levels) levels of a combination of terrain and difficulty which gives a geocacher many options of placing and finding caches, not to mention types such as puzzle, earthcaches, cam and event caches. If you don't like a particular type of cache, simply don't do it. Others may find that type to be a particularly nice challenge. That's the great thing about geocaching...there is something for everyone at every level.