vb:literal>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RE: Any flooding issues

Default RE: Any flooding issues

With all of the flooding in the news I was wondering if anyone has had any recent issues with caching and flooding . . . either having a cache go MIA due to flooding or being unable to get to a cache due to flooding.

I was all set to head out tomorrow and grab a relatively new cache along the Penobscot in the early morning hours, but after seeing the River today and reading the description and some other logs for this cache I'm wondering if I'll be able to get anywhere near this cache . . . and the same goes for another cache up in the Milford Area (I understand that some localized flooding has made getting around up there a challenge.)

Any other stories?
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I haven't, but I went for a walk yesterday, past LT's in plain sight cache on the two cent bridge, i went out on the bridge and it was swayin in the wind, and the water was gushing underneath, it was pretty cool. Then I walked further upriver where Haffy's cache used to be, there were a lot of trees underwater. and the dam under the waterville/winslow bridge yesterday, wasn't even visable there was so much water goin over. But I heard on the news yesterday that, yesterday evening was going to be the peak for all the flood stages of the rivers and then gradually going down. They haven't gone down a whole lot...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Smile Fort Kent

My mom and all the relatives on her side of the family are from Fort Kent so we've been following the news from up North closely. Sounds like it far worse then what Baldacci said on the news this morning. Fortunately, there have been no reported fatalities. On a more positive note, kudos to the Belgrade Lakes Conservation Association. I did the Mountain cache and also French's Mountain this afternoon and the erosion control measures they have put in place worked remarkedly well. Things are a little slippery in spots and the bugs are about ready to make an appearance but this is still a great time of year to be banging away at the caches as I can't seem to get a turkey close enough to bang one of them. Dick (gob-ler) might come by Saturday and coax one in for me.
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    ... a great time of year to be banging away at the caches as I can't seem to get a turkey close enough to bang one of them. Dick (gob-ler) might come by Saturday and coax one in for me.
    Hmmmm this is too easy. First thought that I had, "He (Dubord207) hasn't looked in the mirror lately." Then I thought of all the glass shards on the floor; what a mess. Secondly, not as many turkeys around this year as in the past. Winter was definately tough on them with increased predation and increased farmer diligence on their silos.

The good thing hunting with Gob-ler is you won't need a decoy. Sorry, couldn't resist..bad joke...

Dan, be sure to wear slippers when going to the bathroom and best of luck to you on your hunt!!!!

There are 6 or 7 caches here in Canaan, that are just fine!!!! None Flooded Out !!!!There all just waiting for a ladder... I hear that OH DEER!! is a great cache and LIL' GREEN CACHE and IN THE BIRCHES are new. There's MUMAMEA and DOWN YONDER and BEN HERE ... Oh Yeah and SLAB CITY

I went up the trail toward the Penobscot cache yesterday (from Orono) and the water is over the bridges. You would need to access the trail from Old Town.

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    I went up the trail toward the Penobscot cache yesterday (from Orono) and the water is over the bridges. You would need to access the trail from Old Town.

As of this afternoon I beleive that side is flooded also. As far as the other cache that Jake was talking about I beleive that one it under water at this point but would still be worth the ride to see.

Quote Originally Posted by tat View Post
    HehHeh . . . that was one of the caches I was thinking about . . . the other one as Dave mentioned was the mill cache in Milford . . . sounds like I may have to wait a bit before trying for these.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

d’76 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by firefighterjake View Post
    HehHeh . . . that was one of the caches I was thinking about . . . the other one as Dave mentioned was the mill cache in Milford . . . sounds like I may have to wait a bit before trying for these.

I think you and I are talking about 2 diffierent caches. I was talking about the one up by Pickeral pond between a rock and a hard spot GC1BFWM

Quote Originally Posted by dave1976 View Post
    I think you and I are talking about 2 diffierent caches. I was talking about the one up by Pickeral pond between a rock and a hard spot GC1BFWM
    You are correct Dave . . . my mistake. I was thinking of Brad's Penobscot River cache and the power dam cache in Milford.