vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Read this log

Quote Originally Posted by attroll View Post
    Why don't we all hook up this weekend and meet at a designated spot and go to this cache together and do a cito on this cache and pick up all trash on the way in and out and clean the area up for this guy and bring a new container in case one is needed. We can even invite the guy to come with us.

What does everyone think about that idea. I can start coordinating this if we can get people interested.
    Rick if you read mine or Moxie Pups log entries you'll see that the cache is neatest cache we've ever done. The container is a ammo can and inside you find three plastic covered trays that fit inside like those in a tackle box, each one holes something different, log book and such in the top one, sig items and TB's in another, swag in another.etc. So other then the log being full the cache is in great shape. I would've gone and got a log book if I had known the situation at that time. Jamieofthenorth has said he'll replace the log book. The area around the cache was not trashy as I remember it. But it's an old granite quarry and the terrain is steep. rough and far from handicap accessable.

Lets see what Moxie Pups and others in the area find out from contacting him what's needed. If we build a handicap trail to the cache we will certainly be giving away the cache location and this may not be what the owner wants. Maybe whats needed is for someone to stop by and help him go to the cache site once and a while so he can mantain it.

This is the best organized cache I've ever done too!! I won't be around this weekend, but if there is anything I can do, let me know.

M.S is a rotten diagnosis. I know this personally although I'm not the one affected. The part that concerns me the most is that this cacher felt he had to explain his lack of diligence in maintaining his cache due to his real life issues. I know first hand about people demanding explanation and action regarding caches. I understand that most people, including myself can't read minds but I also realize that if I come across a cache that is in need of repair/updating or whatever, I would attempt to fix the cache issues myself and assume that the hider will do what he/she feels needs to be done in their own time. Some folks just don't care that things happen outside of geocaching and that everyone has their reasons for doing what they do. My experience was that I got several emails threantening that I either needed to verify/replace a cache or it would be recommended for archiving. Thanks to another conscientious cacher (we are truly thankful to her) the container was replaced.

Amidst all the issues we were going through, at that time, the last thing we needed in our lives were the petty complaints of a cacher who was mad that a cache didn't meet their criteria/expectations. We may have overreacted when we disabled all our caches but the lack of sleep, the worry, the traveling and everything that goes along with a bad situation compounded and those petty complaints and threats were enough to make us say, .."to hell with that." The generalization wasn't fair and for that I apologize as 99.9% of the cachers are in the sport for the sport but there are definately a very, very, very few that are in it for themselves. Course we encountered that super small minority who demanded our action for their entertainment.

My Diatribe is because the cacher who feels he has to explain himself is feeling guilty about that cache. He shouldn't be feeling guilty over what is suppose to be a fun sport especially considering the events he was facing. My/our guilt regarding our cache was because I was getting threatening emails, I hope his guilt stems from other reasons even though he has no reason to feel guilty.

I also think maintaining his cache, if he wishes, is a great idea. As cachers we should do it automatically for all caches we visit and I know most folks here do; we hide it better, add swag, clean them and dry them replace containers and what-not. That's why I like this sport so much. Unfortunately there are some who lost sight of that.
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by vicbiker View Post
    Rick if you read mine or Moxie Pups log entries you'll see that the cache is neatest cache we've ever done. The container is a ammo can and inside you find three plastic covered trays that fit inside like those in a tackle box, each one holes something different, log book and such in the top one, sig items and TB's in another, swag in another.etc. So other then the log being full the cache is in great shape. I would've gone and got a log book if I had known the situation at that time. Jamieofthenorth has said he'll replace the log book. The area around the cache was not trashy as I remember it. But it's an old granite quarry and the terrain is steep. rough and far from handicap accessable.

Lets see what Moxie Pups and others in the area find out from contacting him what's needed. If we build a handicap trail to the cache we will certainly be giving away the cache location and this may not be what the owner wants. Maybe whats needed is for someone to stop by and help him go to the cache site once and a while so he can mantain it.
    I saw where you posted it was the neatest cache but I did not know you meant it in that manner. I thought you meant the word neatest as in the sense of coolest or best. I misunderstood. Well then all it sounds like it needs is a new logbook so I am sure someone can do that for hte owner.
    Blazing Troll

Default Organized.....

I remember the trays were labeled....small trade items, medium trade items, and large trade items. Yes it was the most organized cache the Team had ever done.

I think what he would like the most, is to pull out the barbed wire around the cache and make it safe. A little CITO never hurt either. I will be away for several weekends, but can make myself available after that.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Default walk the walk

I ordered some MS wristbands to leave as swag. I found them on the MS Society web site. Thinking of you RabidMoogle.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Just one other tidbit to add to this thread. Does the owner of this cache know of this website? if he doesn't then maybe he would like to read the posts about what is transpiring regarding all of this.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

Hi all, just getting back to the boards after a hectic couple of weeks. This guy got a bum deal for sure. It's really great of everyone to help.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Wow. It's nice to see such an outpouring of support. I don't log onto this forum too often, and I am touched by the sincerity of those who posted.

I know a lot of people have said this, but if there's anything I can do... I live down the road a bit (in Biddeford), and I drop my girls off at the sitter's place, which is just a mile or so up toward the center of town. I've been planning to find this one soon.

Went caching in the Eustis area today and put our 4 or 5 of the MS support bands in some caches. They make great trade items as they are small enough to fit in most any cache container.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country