vb:literal>

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Geo Caching Safety

[quote=was this person a cacher or were they just near a cache??? [/quote]

Police are still investigating but it sounds like the spot where the person and the cache happen to be, isn't the safest place at night. Probably a lot of caches are placed where it isn't as safe at night.

I am paranoid about vicious dogs so I have a small spray can of pepper spray duct-taped to my hiking stick. I don't know if it would deter a rabid animal or a bad dog, and I hope I never find out!

Steve and I have a system for when I'm caching and he's not. There is a way to call our voicemail without making the phone ring. Just before I head into the woods I call with the time, the waypoint name and the co-ords. When I come out, I call to clear. Then I head to the next cache, call just before I head in, and so on. That way if I fall and knock myself out or whatever, he knows where to send the rescuers. The system only works if there is cellphone reception where I am caching.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~

Quote Originally Posted by Kacky View Post
    I am paranoid about vicious dogs so I have a small spray can of pepper spray duct-taped to my hiking stick. I don't know if it would deter a rabid animal or a bad dog, and I hope I never find out!

Steve and I have a system for when I'm caching and he's not. There is a way to call our voicemail without making the phone ring. Just before I head into the woods I call with the time, the waypoint name and the co-ords. When I come out, I call to clear. Then I head to the next cache, call just before I head in, and so on. That way if I fall and knock myself out or whatever, he knows where to send the rescuers. The system only works if there is cellphone reception where I am caching.
    Great suggestions!!

Another good way to scare animals is the canned airhorn,,,beside scaring animals inside-out they are good to signal for help. Pepper spray will stop an animal, no question, but if you have bad luck like me the wind will end up blowing i back into your face and it will make you cry..... It's still a great idea though
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Had an incident today while caching. Doing a cache in Lewiston where the last person there was more than a month ago, right at the site of the cache down in the woods, we found a large plastic shelter fashioned like a tent. The roof had much flora on it to camoflage it. There was a lot of equipment inside indicating regular residence and lots of beer cans lying around outside. Within a few feet of where the cache was supposed to be we found lots of used toilet paper and an indication that it was the outdoor toilet. We did not stick around. I have no idea what type of a person was staying there but I don't believe they would have liked us nosing around. Makes you think!

Might want to inform the owner of the cache of the area as well just in case you might have kids going to do the cache as well.
    Just smile it won't crack your face

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four persons is
    suffering from some sort of mental illness. Think of your three best
    friends -- if they're okay, then it's you.

it has come to the attention to us that at one of our caches had what we call a squatter camping right next to it. this time of year you do have to watch out for people who are not so fortunate to have a roof because they will perch anywhere they can to survive.the one that was at our cache is now gone but it makes you wonder why they would choose that spot. well i would say a safe secure out of the way spot.

So are we to say the unfortunate person has moved on and the cache location is now without a resident nearby?

I visited a cache in Waterville a few years ago much like this. A walk along a nice stream trail = only to find what appeared to be a street, tent, residence near the cache. I was not personally concerned about my safety but rather the integrety and safety of the cache.

Don't think that one was ever archived either. Just have never been back.

The Unfortunate One Has Moved On And The Cache Is Still There. My Next Question Woould Be Did He Sign The Cache Log.

The one I mentioned in Lewiston the other day has been archived by the owner until they check it out. I hope they don't go alone.

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    Great suggestions!!

Another good way to scare animals is the canned airhorn,,,beside scaring animals inside-out they are good to signal for help. Pepper spray will stop an animal, no question, but if you have bad luck like me the wind will end up blowing i back into your face and it will make you cry..... It's still a great idea though
    You know, that's an even better idea. I might replace the spray with a small airhorn. At least I won't have to worry about where to aim it.
    ~*There's Tupperware in thum thar hills!*~