vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the fold.

Default New to the fold.

Hey all. Just a quick shout to introduce myself. My name is Jereme. I'm brand new to the hobby. Matter of fact I haven't even picked up a GPSr yet, but am very anxious to get going. My eyes are set on Garmin's etrex legend HCX. If anyone has any experience positive or negative or positive let me know. I want to make an educated decision. I look forward to interacting with everyone. Looks like a great community.

Talking Welcome...

Welcome to what could be called a very close community. We have all been together for quite sometime now. You will always be welcome. Please do not hesitate to ask any questions, I'll bet we have the answers.

Well some would say a GPS is a GPS. But I prefer my Garmin. We started caching with an eTrex unit and had very few problems. Some new cachers have opted for the top of the line MAP60CSx. If you plan to do this and other activities with your GPS the auto-routing and detailed maps might be worth looking at. But believe me, these expensive units might get you to the cache quicker. But they don't make you any better at finding it.
    Why not live life like it is your last day....instead of pretending to be a member of the Peter Pan Club and believing you will be around forever.

Welcome,
    Garmin Etrex for us too!!!!
    Happy Caching.
    Opalsns and BubbaBass

Firstly I'd like to say welcome and secondly Garmin makes a great GPS. I found my first 400 with Old Yellow (eTrex personal) and then I opted for the eTrex Vista C. The autorouting function is a great asset for geocaching. The only catch is you have to make sure you get the software and that can be as much as the GPS unit. I've been tracking a used Vista HCx on eBay (click here to see it). I'm partial to the smaller eTrex models . Check it out and it will give you an idea of some of the accessories you may want to consider.

The most important thing though is to get a GPS that fits your budget and just get out and enjoy caching.

Once again, welcome!!
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

I use the eTrex and do okay with it. It takes me a couple hours to write down everything on paper for a days trip of caching and that's without writing down clues, sizes, and what previous finders had to log, but the GPS itself gets me there fine.

I count myself as being pretty lucky working for one of the best companies in the state let alone the nation. L.L. saw it fit to give me a $100 gift card for my wedding this past Sat. So that gets me a good start towards my purchase of the Garmin. I've read some good reviews and your info has helped fill me in and pretty much cement my decision. I'll be caching soon with the rest of ye.

Welcome to our world....and congrats on your marriage. Let us know if we can help along the way.

Quote Originally Posted by djgray1200 View Post
    I count myself as being pretty lucky working for one of the best companies in the state let alone the nation. L.L. saw it fit to give me a $100 gift card for my wedding this past Sat. So that gets me a good start towards my purchase of the Garmin. I've read some good reviews and your info has helped fill me in and pretty much cement my decision. I'll be caching soon with the rest of ye.
    That is a good start, but you still may want to look around. As much as I like LL, I have found the GPS prices to be steeper than most. I bet you could find another way to spend those $.

I am a Garmin fan as well and have the 60CSX. It is a great unit - very quick and fairly easy to use. The new DeLorme PN20 is also a great unit and there are a growing number of cachers who are heading in this direction when upgrading or buying new.

You may eventually want to consider using a Palm Pilot for cache information rather than printing sheets and inputting info into the GPS by hand.

Welcome to the hobby and the website. Join the fun at an event at some point. The energy in a room full of cachers is craaaaazy!
    ~ Beach Comber ~

Welcome! Get a Garmin! *cough*magellanssuckdontlistentofirefighterjake*co ugh* phew.. excuse me, i have a lil cough...
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiram357 View Post
    Welcome! Get a Garmin! *cough*magellanssuckdontlistentofirefighterjake*co ugh* phew.. excuse me, i have a lil cough...
    His cough gets worse when he's sipping Guinness!