vb:literal>

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New to the fold.

If your going to get close to the $300 range then I would say go for the Delorme PN-20 by far it is the best I have seen and used. I love all the features and the USA maps come with it, you don't know have to by them separate. You can pick one up from Delorme now for $299.
    Blazing Troll

Well I'm in the minority with my lowly Magellan GPSrs . . . and I must admit that while I love the older Magellans (especially since it seems like they offered for bang for the buck with packaged deals) the new "Swiss Army" knife style Magellans don't exactly wow me (they do a little of everything . . . which always makes me hesitant since I always figure something that does a little of everything never does anything completely good).

I would hazard a guess that Garmins in this part of the country are the most popular hand-held GPSr . . . customer support and dependability are legendary . . . just ask Hiram . . . he has done his own dependability tests on his own GPSr by dropping it in the snow for several weeks, taking it for a swim in a river and has dropped it untold number of times -- in fact I think the only two things he hasn't tried is to set it on fire or subject it to a thermo-nuclear blast. Currently his GPSr is undergoing another test . . . he left it outside in the middle of nowhere . . . at some point he is going to go back and see if Garmins can survive an entire Maine winter without any problems.

I like the new DeLormes . . . but probably because their set-up reminds me somewhat of my Magellan Explorist 210. I know a lot of folks like them . . . although Hiram doesn't since he says they remind him too much of a Magellan (Hiram has some real psychological hang-ups when it comes to Magellans for some reason . . . but don't worry we've got him in theraphy.)

Of course you can always go with a Hiram Hiram . . . this unit is quite good at finding caches, but has a tendency to suddenly stop working whenever it approaches any establishment that serves adult beverages in mugs . . . plus it's turn-by-turn directions can be a bit hard to understand as they consist of grunts and frantic hand motions.

Oh yeah . . . almost forgot . . . welcome to geocaching and geocachingmaine.org . . . if you've got questions ask away . . . the folks here are quite helpful.
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

Get a Garmin at Walmart for $99 just in case you change your interest in Geocaching.( It happens). Save your gift certificate for a GOOD pair of snowshoes for winter caching!!!! It's a great time to cache!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by Sudonim View Post
    His cough gets worse when he's sipping Guinness!
    heh, and so do my jokes!
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

LL also sees fit to give employees 30% off their purchases. Makes that Garmin easier to reach.
    If you want to try cross country skiing, start with a small country

Wink Garmin LP

Another choice is one of Garmin's earliest models, the LP. You hook a camping propane cylinder to is and it will run for six hours before you need a fresh cylinder. These work well in most conditions except high winds when the pilot light gets blown out. Hiram had one of those and set his tent on fire one night while downloading caches! Steph's long johns were destroyed in the fire and Joe Bornstein and myself are pursuing a huge claim against Garmin and the manufacture of the dangerous long johns for what will likely result in an award of damages likely to exceed $20 dollars. We have it all here, lawyers, doctors.. everything imaginable. Before law school I was a test pilot for Preparation H. Talent abounds! Welcome and have fun!!!!
    Sometimes the road less traveled is less traveled for a reason.

Talking Dan you're a funny guy..

A bit odd perhaps, but a funny guy none the less.
    Happy Trails!

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    Another choice is one of Garmin's earliest models, the LP. You hook a camping propane cylinder to is and it will run for six hours before you need a fresh cylinder. These work well in most conditions except high winds when the pilot light gets blown out. Hiram had one of those and set his tent on fire one night while downloading caches! Steph's long johns were destroyed in the fire and Joe Bornstein and myself are pursuing a huge claim against Garmin and the manufacture of the dangerous long johns for what will likely result in an award of damages likely to exceed $20 dollars. We have it all here, lawyers, doctors.. everything imaginable. Before law school I was a test pilot for Preparation H. Talent abounds! Welcome and have fun!!!!

Dubord is suffering a little early dementia. Side effect of too much Preparation H and too little respiration. (Not many people wouldn't hold their breathe upon application of the test material.) Over all it's helped his law office but makes for bad t.v. commercials as his skin still conveys an overall bluish tint..and he walks very "upright" giving people the perception that he is full of....... Well, he is a lawyer.
    Last edited by TRF; 05-09-2008 at 08:05 AM. Reason: grammatical error
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Please give Duburd a break. His lobster was molested and he's having a hard time dealing!!!!
    GARMIN Etrex ....$99 ...Walmart...Gift Certificate .....Snowshoes!!!!!!
    Opalsns

Quote Originally Posted by dubord207 View Post
    so when do i get my cut of the winnings????
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.