vb:literal>

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wildlife Help Needed !!!

Question Wildlife Help Needed !!!

There has been a Racoon coming around at night this spring.He has been eating the left over winter bird seed and whatever else he digs up in the yard. Last weekend we were doing yard clean up and opened the lawnmower shed to get tools. We found that said Racoon was a SHE and had a litter of 5 or 6 under her. The poor thing started yakin away all upset. We got what we needed and I talked to her calmly, like I did when I first saw her in the yard, and she calmed down. We shut the shed and left her be. At night she goes in and out through the eaves of the shed and down a pine tree.I reserched and found that the babes were probabally just born and she won't be weening them for 2 to 4 months. THEN, they stay with the mother in her home till next spring. Now, I don't mind them being there till July or so, but after that I would like my shed back. We live in the woods with part of our property being a marsh. Lots of wildlife here,which we love and we know there is enough of what they need to survive out there. I don't want to scare her off now for fear she'll get killed and leave the litter for us to tend to.But I also know the destruction they can cause when they get bigger. I figure when I see them going in and out,it will be time to scare them off. But I'm no expert so any advise would be appreciated.
    Thanx
    Opalsns and BubbaBass

I'd say find an animal control person and have them trapped and moved ASAP. Coons can be very destructive and carry rabies and diseases and ticks and who knows what they are doing to your shed. You could have easily been bitten. If there are kids there, I'd be even more concerned.
    DNFTT! DNFTT! DNFTT!

"The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it..."

brdad is right about rabies. Wildlife do carry unique concerns.

An animal control person is definitely obligated to help you but not necessarily trained to work with wildlife. You need to contact a wildlife rehabilitator.

I just placed a cache at Hirundo Wildlife Refuge, after long work with them to get permission. The caretakers of the refuge are wildlife rehabilitators. They actually raise and foster abandoned babies. Their house pet is an injured grey squirril.

There is a link to their website (Users Web Page) on the cache page (GC1BY13) - I would suggest you contact them ASAP or the Warden Service. If you can't connect PM me.

One thing Debbie, the caretaker did tell me is, Do Not touch even an abandoned baby animal but contact a rehabilitator. Most folks do the wrong things, trying to help because they don't know and the babies die anyway. I did not know this and was thankful for the advice.

Good luck.

I agree with Davbe (Brdad). They need to be removed. Call DIF&W and they will recommend a wildlife rehab./transition person for you. It's a great gesture to let them stay but they are destructive and I assure you the mother will be more of a pain in the arse once the kits put a larger demand for food on her. I have the racoons raid my chicken coop and by the end of June they graduate from stealing eggs to killing the hens. I have to "secure" the coop after the chickens roost. My method of removal is more permanent but they are very intelligent and being nocturnal they are very rarely seen by us or the dog. The dog would chase them off but he's too busy sleeping when they come. I believe I have one racoon that thinks we are a division of KFC, she/he has been around for several years and I can't seem to catch him/her. (I've removed many) Once they realize they have easy food, they will not leave.

Like Dave said, have her and her kits removed. There are state approved wildlife rehab./transition places located throughout the state. There is one on Rt.3 in Vassalboro, I think his name is Cote but the DIF&W will positively help you out..

Good luck

I have a story about a skunk too...that skunk loved chicken. After live trapping a skunk a night for a week and transporting it several miles from the house each time, I had an epiphany. After a week of contiuous live trapping I painted its tail Orange, took it several miles away and dropped it off. You guessed it, it traveled back and I caught it the very next night. I finally bought the skunk to Augusta and dropped it off. I haven't seen it since... LOL
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    . . .
    I have a story about a skunk too...that skunk loved chicken. After live trapping a skunk a night for a week and transporting it several miles from the house each time, I had an epiphany. After a week of contiuous live trapping I painted its tail Orange, took it several miles away and dropped it off. You guessed it, it traveled back and I caught it the very next night. I finally bought the skunk to Augusta and dropped it off. I haven't seen it since... LOL
    A skunk in Augusta? This explains some of the politicians that we have running the State. . . .
    "Courage is not the absence of fear, but the realization that there is something more important than fear."

"Death is only one of many ways to die."

I agree with dave, they're destructive, carry rabies, ect ect... although they are cute with those lil black masks...

but if it was me, I'd hafta put my feelings towards their cuteness aside and spend about 6cents per coon. (they are destructive lil buggers, and if they go unchecked can lead to a lot more serious problems then just a tipped over trash can)
    Once the game is over, the king and the pawn go back in the same box.

Thanx to everyone for your suggestions. I agree that it'll be better and alot easier to remove them while the babes are little and the Mom is with them so I have taken Hollora's advice and called Hirundo Wildlife Refuge. I left a message and hope they will return my call soon. If they can't help I will call DIF&W... What does that stand for exactly????
    We had a skunk living under the same shed last year. Don't know if he's still there or not.
    I think we're going to tear down the shed and put the yard equipment on the summer porch for the winter. I hate paying taxes to store lawn mowers and since these animals pay no rent.........LOL!!!
    Thanx again for the advice.
    Opalsns

DIF&W=Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
    There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.~~Albert Einstein
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Many wise words are spoken in jest, but they don't compare with the number of stupid words spoken in earnest. - Sam Levenson (1911 - 1980)

Quote Originally Posted by TRF View Post
    DIF&W=Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife
    Oh yeah, I forgot. Thanx.
    Hoping to get them moved by The Hirundo people first. Will let you know how it goes!!!!
    Opalsns

I agree you should contact someone if you want it removed. The raccoon thing about rabies is a old wise tail though. Granted they can carry rabies but no more then a skunk or rabbit or any other wild animal.
    Blazing Troll